Which Prague Hotel?

Nov 5th, 2010, 01:52 AM
Original Poster

Which Prague Hotel?

Going to Prague in February and trying to decide which hotel would be best - have narrowed it down to Hotel Pariz, Hotel Metamorphis, Hotel Pachtuv Palace and Hotel Century Old Town. Any recommendations for these would be great. Thanks so much!
Nov 5th, 2010, 03:09 AM

I stayed in an apartment at the Metamorphis, and absolutely loved it. It's in a little lane about a two-minute walk from Old Town Square, so the location is great. I walked everywhere from there.

I haven't stayed at your other choices, so can't comment. Have you checked tripadvisor? All of the hotels you list get excellent reviews there. There are also lots of travelers' pictures.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...e_Bohemia.html
Nov 5th, 2010, 03:55 AM

Our first trip to Prague, we stayed at the www.hotel-pariz.cz Close to the old center. Loved the hotel. More good information on this site for Prague. Click on the city and then 'instant' for a download of info. www.inyourpocket.com
Nov 5th, 2010, 05:30 AM

I have not stayed at these 4 hotels but will just comment on location. All of these hotel locations are good some beter than others. My opinion on locations, best first:

1)Hotel Metamorphis
2)Hotel PAriz
3)Hotel Pachtuv Palace
4)Hotel Century Old Town

We loved staying at the 7 Angels. Cheap, very nice furnishings, large rooms, and ideally located midway between Old Town Square and the Charles Bridge:
http://www.7angels.cz/
Nov 5th, 2010, 06:11 AM

Hotel Roma
Address: Újezd 24, Malá Strana, Prague, Bohemia, 110 00
Phone: 257-326-890
www.hotelroma.cz
Price range: $$$
Write a review | Avg. member rating: 4.7/5
Fodor's Review:
Down the hill from Prague Castle, across the street from Petrín hill, and around the corner from Kampa Island, this hotel is nestled in the middle of some star attractions. The atrium lobby is a bit bland, but a few funky details, including an aquarium window in the lobby wall, give the place some character. Most rooms are simple and spare, with blond-wood furnishings and parquet floors. The Roma also offers suites, eight with real antiques—unfortunately, that also means two single beds with bumping headboards are pushed together; if desired, ensure that you are getting a proper double bed when booking your room. Pros: Even though the hotel is situated on a tram street, it is surprisingly quiet; large bathrooms with bathtubs; friendly staff; free Internet in rooms; sauna. Cons: Rooms with tiled floors can feel a bit cold; pillows could be fluffier.

Hotel Details: 62 rooms, 25 suites In-room: safe, Internet, Wi-Fi (some). In-hotel: restaurant, bar, gym, laundry service, Internet terminal, parking (paid), some pets allowed. Rate includes: Full breakfast Credit Cards: AE, DC, MC, V Metro: Line A: Malostranská
Find more hotels in Prague »

Member Reviews and Ratings
Reviewed by kappa from Geneva on 4/13/08
We had a very nice stay at this hotel in Mala Strana area in November 2006 at €79 per night for a double room, obviously the low season rate. The staff very courteous, room spaceous with large bathroom with a tub. Breakfast room ok but the food quality was very good. Especially the yogurt was rich and tasty. I heard the rooms facing the tram street could be noisy so requested a room in the back and had no problem at all. Maybe the location was the best of all for me. Slighly off the toursit central, yet 7-minute easy walk to Charles' Bridge via Kampa Park, also 7 minutes to St.Nicola church. The walk up the Petrin hill nearby was very pleasant and you get a magnificent view of Prague. If you are lazy or in a hurry you can also take the funicular. The station is 1 minute walk. Also the tram stop Ujezd is just outside the hotel and more than 6 lines stops there. Very convenient.

Member Rating: 4.8
Ratings details: Room: 5.0 Atmosphere: 5.0 Service: 4.0 Value: 5.0
Reviewed by bilboburgler from leeds uk on 12/18/07
October. Bought room via agent on the Czech TI officiL website. very warm double bed room Euro 75 per night plus free breakfast.

Partner was running court case prep from thr free internet access in reception, good fast access. Room had balcony but snow limited us.

I think this was a great hotel at the price and staff were v helpful including finding hair dresser etc

Member Rating: 4.6
Ratings details: Room: 5.0 Atmosphere: 3.0 Service: 5.0 Value: 5.0
Nov 5th, 2010, 07:16 AM

well, well..if it isn't Curious George. Good to see your post. Of the above, in my Prague experience, Pariz is tops...However, might I suggest our favorite, which we first booked in '93 and have been back a few times. For a while, it was reported that the hotel was being renovated and sold. I don't know what happened, but happy to see it's back so I can again recommend it.
The Three Osriches, U Tri Pstrosu
http://utripstrosu.cz/en/index.html

Located smack dab on the Charles Bridge...with a view room, you'll plainly see the Bridge and Vltava also. Good in-house retsaurant...just a few yards from Mala Strana, and then uphill to Hradcany, and the length of the bridge to Old Town.
Being Februrary, there will not be the usual summer crowds on the bridge. I'm amazed to see that the tariff is still around €60-70 for a view suite!

Alert: February will be mighty cold...once in March we were the coldest we've ever been in all of Europe, with a wind-chill factor of b-r-r-r-! However, in that cold, we walked up to Hradcany and sought shelter in the castle wing where a press conference was about to take place. President Vaclav Havel was about to address the foreign press corp in preparation for the visit of the Slovak prime minster the next day. My wife had a yellow noe pad and furiously scribbled not understanding one word. The split had taken place two months before. Yes, we crashed the conference (a long story in itself)...here are the pics (scanned, pre-digital).

http://picasaweb.google.com/stuarttower/Havel93#
(click on pic, then on magnifying glass to enlarge, move mouse around and the pic will be clear)

You will certainly enjoy Prague, Curious!
stu
Nov 5th, 2010, 09:28 AM

stu; We also stayed at you favorite hotel. Had a cornor room, with a view of the bridge. Glad to see the financial problems resolved. This is a great option.
Nov 5th, 2010, 09:55 AM

Here's another vote for the classic Pariz, home of the best hotel breakfast/brunch in the western world. It comes with the room--as it should do.

It's also within three or four streets of the Jewish Quarter, a tour of which was my most moving experience in five European trips.
Nov 5th, 2010, 10:18 AM

Yet another for Pariz (only one of those four I stayed at, but I have stayed at the Maximillian twice, also). I loved the Pariz, nothing bad about it at all. The room was comfortable, beautiful, the hotel also beautiful with good services, and the location can't be beat. I got a great rate online by prepaying, also, but I went in early August when rates drop.

As for location, I would far prefer that location to the Metamorphosis, it's opinion as to whether you think it desirable to be smack in the middle of Old Town Square (which think is where Metamorphosis is, I've been by it and it is noisy, as I recall). I don't, but I don't ever like to be in the very middle of that kind of thing in any city (the focal point of tourism). Pariz is very close by, but a bit off the main street and is quiet. It's practically right next to a metro stop, also.
Nov 5th, 2010, 10:24 AM

FWIW, Hotel Metamorphis is 3 blocks away from (NOT "smack in the middle of") Old Town Square.
Nov 5th, 2010, 10:29 AM

It's also within three or four streets of the Jewish Quarter, a tour of which was my most moving experience in five European trips.

Mohun...The Precious Legacy highlights in the Jewish Quarter, have been part of a traveling exhibit which has been to the USA once or twice. But to see it on the spot is a knockout. The ulltra-ambitious urban renewal project back in the early 1900's spared a good part of the old Jewish Town, including the town hall and the "Old-New sinagoga".

Dick..yes, I rememebr you saying that you stayed at The Three O's...classic establishment.
stu
Nov 5th, 2010, 01:53 PM
Original Poster

Hi all,

thanks so much for the recommendations - was going to go with Pariz, but now thinking about the 3 O's - looks like a great find. Any advantage to being on one side of the river or the other?

I know it will be cold - part of the charm, I think, for me. thanks again!
Nov 5th, 2010, 02:16 PM
Original Poster

Ok, think we will go with Hotel Pariz based on so many recs. Any real advantage to springing for the executive room or will the double room be just as comfortable?

thanks again!
Nov 5th, 2010, 02:30 PM

We had a standard room. I can just remember walking down a hall, that was elegent and a room that was lovely. That was in 1993. Richard
Nov 5th, 2010, 03:25 PM

I've heard a lot of good things about Hotel Pariz, and I think you will be pleased with your choice.

I must respectfully disagree with the comment that Hotel Metamorphis is smack dab in the middle of Old Town Square. If you enter from Malá Štupartská, it is 2 or 3 blocks away. If you enter from the "back way" through Tyn Courtyard, it is closer to the square, but hardly in the middle of it.

I stayed at the hotel for 10 nights, and it was not noisy at all.
Nov 7th, 2010, 05:16 PM

If you're using cable, you might run across the enjoyable Czech film "I Served the King of England", many scenes of which are set, over time, in the Pariz dining room.
Nov 9th, 2010, 01:43 AM
Original Poster

me again! While we are pretty sure we will be at the Pariz, wondering what is the difference between staying in old town or in mala strana? Any preferences or advantages to being on one side or the other? thanks so much.
Nov 9th, 2010, 06:22 AM

Curious..that's one reason why we prefer the Three O's...it's just between the two parts of town...short walk into mala strana, a bit longer to Old Town.
Dec 19th, 2010, 05:27 AM

You can try quality prague hotel - I've been there before 6 months and it was very nice hotels (sorry for my bad english - i from germany and i am not very good at english )
http://www.mamaison.com/prague-river...el-prague.html