aldrovandi palace

Search

aldrovandi palace

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2003, 03:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
aldrovandi palace

Has anyone stayed here? I am considering this for my honeymoon in Septemebr since it does have a pool and may be nice to use at the end of the day. My only concern is that it is far away from the central part of Rome.

If anyome can offer any suggestions I would appreciate it.
Old May 21st, 2003, 04:25 PM

Fairsat,

I highly reccomend the Aldrovandi. We stayed there two years ago. It was Summer, late June, and we were very pleased with the hotel, its lovely pool, and both restaurants, one inside, more formal, and the pool restaurant.

The hotel, as you surely know, has an old world atmosphere, and its location in the parioli district is lovely, although not really walkable to the Spanish Steps or Piazza del Popolo. You can walk through the Borghese Gardens, but it's not really close by, but it's not far either. My daughter and son in law did it a couple of times. I usually took the complimentary hotel shuttle to Via Veneto, or used a taxi. By taxi or shuttle, it's a short ride, 5 to 10 mins maximum. depending on the traffic.

I think it's a lovely setting to honeymooners. Very romantic!!

Good luck and regards,

S
Old Jul 12th, 2003, 02:45 PM

Hi all,

I am headed back to Italy and does anyone have a recommendation on a room request at the Aldrovandi Palace? I read that the top floors offer balconies, but would appreciate any input.

Also, any recommended eateries near the hotel? We get in late the first nite and will probably want to catch a quick bite.

Thanks!
Kiki
Old Jul 12th, 2003, 03:03 PM

Kiki,

I would eat at the hotel restaurant. if I were you. There are no restaurants, that I recall, in the imediate vicinity of the Aldrovandi. The food and service are very good, and the attendance is mostly of locals.

As for the rooms, we stayed on the second floor, in std rooms, which were nice, although not exceptional. We had a pool view, which was very beautiful, day and night, as the pool was all lit. After, I changed to a jr. suite, and didn't get the same view.

I haven't seen other rooms than the ones we stayed at.

Regards,

S
Old Jul 12th, 2003, 04:18 PM

The hotel is very nice. I was there last November and seems I recall they were about to embark on a major remodel. Not sure if that's started yet... The pool is very nice so if that's important, this is a big plus about the Aldrovandi. Another major plus -- the service. It's EXCELLENT. I experienced the nicest service with the people willing to accomodate in whatever way possible. (of course, I was there for one week with a large group) But, yes, you're right -- it is far from the central part of the city. You must take a taxi. (especially because it's uphill.) If lots of small cab fares don't bother you, its out of the way location may be a plus -- especially for a honeymoon -- unless you prefer to stay in the "thick of things." Hope this helps. I've never stayed anywhere else in Rome, so I can't compare it to other hotels, but truly, this was a very nice hotel. Not huge, but good-sized rooms. Nice linens, nice bathroom, clean, elegant. I believe I stayed on the second or third floor. My room did not have a balacony but large windows that opened out on the street. Oh, the place has some beautiful flowers -- especially in the area outside of the cafe.
Old Jul 12th, 2003, 06:52 PM
Intrepid

Have stayed at the Aldrovandi several times..the "deluxe" rooms or perhaps they are classified as "superior" cannot remember are quite nice, have big comofrtable beds, and the marble bathrooms are wonderful. I had one of the best meals ever in the inside restaurant...the bar is pricey..the service throughout was outstanding.
You can walk down to the top of the Via Veneto or on to the Spanish Steps through the Borghese/zoo area easily but it is not a ten-minute walk. The hotel would seem "out of the way" for some but having been to Rome several times I prefer this every now and then. I would try booking it through srs-worldhotels.com just to compare prices if you are going to book directly with the hotel via e-mail..you might get a price break. The hotel also appears periodically on the discounthotels and 180096hotels site.
If you absolutely feel you HAVE to be near the infamous Spanish Steps (although frankly, once you've seen them...well, you've seen them IMO) then don't stay in Parioli..you'll be unhappy.

Old Jul 15th, 2003, 02:41 PM

Dear Surlock, Jenson and Intrepid,

Thanks so much for your input and I am happy to have selected this hotel b/c it sounds like it will be a quiet oasis after touring all day in the city, etc. I will remember your pointers about the room overlooking the pool - that sounds really nice. I am glad that you all liked the service too. Hopefully, I will have the same experience. Ciao for now!
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 03:27 PM

I can add one more recommendation for this hotel. We stayed there for 4 nights in 1998 and enjoyed our stay. It was a nice place to go to after the hustle bustle of Rome. You have to taxi to get places, but the rides are not long. Never used the pool, but it sure looked inviting!
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 08:47 PM

Very nice hotel. Great pool. Quiet area. Visit the Lord Byron around the corner for a drink/dinner and ask to see one of their rooms when you are there.
Old Jul 17th, 2003, 04:32 AM
Original Poster

I have a reservation here and also the San Carlo.. I know they are two totally different classes.. My question is which one should I stay at , this will be our first trip to Rome and we will be there for 5 nights. Since we will be there the 2nd week in September would the pool be helpful in my choice..
Old Jul 17th, 2003, 06:05 AM

I stayed here at the end of Feb. and I too can't say enough about the service, the staff is wonderful and so is the food the breakfast buffet was amazing and the dinner we had at the restaurant was one of the best meals I ever had.

Unlike some of the other posters we walked or used the shuttle all the time we only took a cab once. We found the walk to Popolo and the Spanish steps to be an easy 10 to 15 minutes through the park.
Old Jul 17th, 2003, 07:04 PM

Never been to the San Carlo, but passed by a few years ago. If I were you, no doubts I'd choose the Aldrovandi. As said by other posters, although it's not in the "Centro Storico", it's close enough. Besides, being your honeymoon, and since it will September, it will be possible to enjoy the pool as well.

The setting is fabulous, you'll feel like a fairy tale.

If you were older, or staying in Rome for only a couple of nights, then the San Carlo could be an option to save you time. Otherwise, as I said, the Aldrovandi is the place, mostly if it comes to honeymooners.

Ask for a room overlooking the pool. it's a lovely view!!!

S
Old Sep 30th, 2003, 10:05 AM

To future Rome goers, the Aldrovandi Hotel is extremely isolated. There are no restaurants around the area at night and the hotel inexplicably only runs their shuttle to the Spanish Steps from 10AM to 7PM. It seems to cater to business conventions and is inconvenient. Stay elsewhere if your main purpose is touring Rome.
Old Sep 30th, 2003, 12:30 PM
Intrepid

I somewhat disagree with Cotes...the AP is in an almost purely residential neighborhood (Parioli) and there are restaurants but they are several blocks away. The hotel is NOT a place to stay if you expect to walk out the door and be in the middle of the tourist, etc., "action." But for some folks who don't mind walking or taking cabs to and from a certainly luxurious property in a quieter part of the city, it is ideal.
I suspect that most of the clientele don't mind springing for a cab and in all the times I've been there I've never seen any group that could be called members of a "convention." The place is simply too upscale and removed from the center for it to be ideal for those types of groups.

Old Oct 29th, 2003, 02:38 PM

Hi all,

Thanks for your help and your descriptions were right on. Beautiful rooms, lovely secluded pool, and the dinner that we had at the hotel (outdoors) was just fantastic. Also, the breakfasts were so plentiful and delicious - hot and cold buffet.

The one downside is that you have to take the shuttle (daytime) or cab (at nite) back to the hotel, so it did put a little bit of a cramp in wanting to go back to the hotel to drop off things during the day (purchases, etc.) or take a little break at the pool. Once we left the hotel in the morning, we didn't return until 7pm, and then took the shuttle or a cab into the city for dinner, etc. I found this the only inconvenient part of the Aldrovandi, and if I were to return to Rome, would want to be in a hotel that was in walking distance (walking from the Aldrovandi Palace to the Spanish Steps was a good 1/2 hour), not necessarily in the touristy section, but close enough to be more convenient.

Hope this helps future travelers.

Kiki