hotel for one night stay in London?

Old May 15th, 2006, 10:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hotel for one night stay in London?

My husband, 5 yr old son and I are staying near Canterbury for a week in June. We'd like to take the train into London on Tuesday of our week and stay the night to do some sightseeing with a local friend. I'm thinking we'd like something near Victoria Station. Any recommendations? I've looked online and am having trouble finding a place with at least a queen size bed. We just can't sleep in a full size. I'm 5'8" and DH is 6ft.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Old May 15th, 2006, 05:07 PM

I just googled "hotels victoria london queen size beds" and came up with Express by Holiday Inn, the Victoria Park Plaza Hotel, and the Thistle Victoria. Give that a shot!
Old May 15th, 2006, 07:20 PM

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express at Victoria. It was an okay place. My best friend and husband must have a large king size bed or a queen, minimally. I had a tiny room as I was traveling alone.

We spoke to people staying at the Thistle Victoria, they did not like it. I remember them saying they were too hot. I cannot recall if there was no air conditioning, or it was broken. But we spoke to a bunch of people staying their while we were on a Ripper Tour.

This would have been in 2004, May.
Old May 16th, 2006, 05:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback. I've checked out the Thistle Victoria and the Thistle Westminster. The Victoria has terrible reviews on Expedia. The Westminster's are much better for onlly $20 more a night. I think I'll give them a call directly and inquire about the bed sizes as I have read in this forum that they can vary widely.

Thanks again for the help!
Old May 16th, 2006, 06:44 PM

No problem. Whatever you decide I would love to have your feedback for my next trip. Keep us posted.

Thanks.
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 01:51 PM

Book the Victoria Park Plaza. It has some king beds and the reviews on tripadvisor are consistently great. Posters say it's a 2-minute walk from Victoria Station.
I have stayed in the Thistle Victoria and have reserved the Victoria Park Plaza for my next trip.
Old Dec 7th, 2006, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

We decided on the Thistle Westminster which was lovely. And it's a great location for touring the city. We did wind up with two twin beds instead of a king, but we were so tired from sightseeing all day, we didn't even think to mention it. We just fell into bed!

The only drawback is that the hotel has no air conditioning and the room was unbelievably hot. As exhausted as I was, I didn't sleep well because I was so hot.
Old Dec 7th, 2006, 02:23 PM

If you didn't have to be so close to Victoria, I recommend the HI Kensington Forum. It is often reasonably priced, and well located.