Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > London - where to stay - Paddington or Victoria

London - where to stay - Paddington or Victoria

Apr 16th, 2006, 07:25 PM
sv
Original Poster

London - where to stay - Paddington or Victoria

Just checking which location is more ideal - in the Sussex Gardens area of Hyde Park or near Victoria Stn area ? Will be visiting London for 9 days in July. Which area has more cheap food options - specifically Indian food? Thanks for any input
Apr 16th, 2006, 07:35 PM

Ideal, ideal...none ? Between the two I prefer Victoria. Instead of Sussex Gardens I would prefer Bayswater (as near as possible to Queensway), I was there for a week and love it !!
Apr 16th, 2006, 09:53 PM

Victoria would be much more convenient to more tourist sites.

People always ask for hotels w/ good restaurants nearby. That is really not an issue for me. Since you'll likely be out in the evenings anyway - theatre, concerts, walking tours, etc. you will probably be eating in many other neighborhoods rather than right near your hotel.

But if you are trying to choose between Paddington and Victoria - definitely choose Victoria . . . .
Apr 16th, 2006, 10:07 PM

Undoubtedly Victoria, it's far superior an area in every way. I consider Paddington to be something of a desert and don't even like going there for meetings... There's something rather grubby about the area in my opinion
Apr 17th, 2006, 03:03 AM

Just back from London. No brainer, Victoria. Indian restuarants abound in both places. Many pubs over 2 for one lunches.
Apr 17th, 2006, 04:33 AM

Lots of people like to return to their hotel neighborhood in the evening and head out to dinner nearby, and the problem with some but not all of the area around Victoria is a real dearth of restaurants that are affordable or appealing. I didn't repond to this thread earlier because I've never stayed in Paddington or spent much time in Indian restaurants in either area, so I can't really answer the question.

But the next time I go to London, I am certainly not going to stay in Westminster just because it is so difficult to find a good, affordable yet interesting restaurant near one's hotel, and I wouldn't stay in Victoria, either, because so many of the accommodations are shabby.

I almost never go to the theater in London because it is so expensive, so very often I am in my hotel neighborhood at the dinner hour. And without knowing what id drawing someone to London, it's hard to peg any area of London as "convenient" to the tourist sites. In addition to not going to the theater, I never go to Buckingham Palace.
Apr 17th, 2006, 04:47 AM

sv,

Why did you narrow your search to Victoria or Paddington?
Apr 17th, 2006, 04:59 AM
Neopolitan

I LIVE for the theatre, so I was surprised by the comment about it being so expensive in London. While prices for the theatre there have been going up, I've done major theatre trips in the past year to New York, Los Angeles, and Chicago and I must say London still remains the theatre bargain. In fact even second rate national touring productions at our local venue have now surpassed many tickets in London -- and we won't even begin discuss the difference in quality.

I recently did hit a new record for London -- advance tickets for HayFever with Judi Dench that cost me nearly $90 US each, but that's still less than Broadway. Meanwhile I got 10 pound tickets for the National for Royal Hunt of the Sun, and most shows I pick up at the TKTS booth where options of both shows and good seats are far more extensive than the New York TKTS booth, at a fraction of the cost.

I just wanted to say that people who LOVE theatre, shouldn't think it is "so expensive", as I find it one of the best bargains there is in EXPENSIVE London.

As to which area, I think most are in agreement here -- of the two definitely Victoria. Another option is the rather limited selection of hotels in the Bloomsbury area which is on the doorstep to even more inexpensive food options -- Chinatown, Soho, etc.

Apr 17th, 2006, 05:49 AM

Of the two areas you've mentioned, I'd agree with the others that Victoria is preferable. And I wouldn't characterize most of it as shabby.

If you were to stay in Bloomsbury, you'd be within easy walking distance of Drummond Street, home to a numerous good and inexpensive vegetarian Indian restaurants.
Apr 17th, 2006, 06:17 AM

Oh, my, Hay Fever with Judy Dench..I'm getting envious...
Apr 17th, 2006, 06:27 AM

I would much prefer Victoria. But have you consider Notting Hill? I really like it, and there are some nice and moderate priced places to stay there.
Apr 17th, 2006, 06:31 AM

To nearly all the places you are likely to go to Sussex Gardens are fifteen minutes further away than is Victoria.

The two areas have much the same amount of Indian and other cheap food as each other.

Fringe theatre often costs ten or fifteen pounds, and is often good.

Welcome to London

Ben Haines
[email protected]
Apr 17th, 2006, 06:36 AM

"I almost never go to the theater in London because it is so expensive"

I know theatre isn't the OP's topic - but I just HAVE to respond to nessundorma. That is simply not true - w/ TKTS, the National Theatre, theatre offers, fringe and even full price West End tickets - London theatre is an AMAZING bargain. I can see Judy Dench (or Vaness Redgrave, or David Soul, or Alan Rickman, or David Suchet, or, or, or . . .) for much less in London than I can see second rate touring companies of last year's hit shows in my home town in California.

The best seats in London are less than $80 while good seats here at home (for decent but definitely not West End quality) are well over $100. And if you get cheaper seats or go to TKTS you can see first rate theatre for $15 to $30. And in comparison to SF/NY/Chicago - London is bargain basement.

If you think Victoria is "shabby" - you definitely haven't seen Paddington.

Since just about EVERY area of London is easily accessible from everywhere else on fast/cheap public transport one can eat anywhere. Having said that - I have found a lot more good neighborhood joints in Pimlico/Victoria than I have in Paddington.
Apr 17th, 2006, 06:43 AM
MaureenB

The Sussex Gardens area you mention is much nicer than "Paddington" per se. People will probably steer you away from Paddington, as it's mostly a commercial area around the Station, with inexpensive restaurants and tabac shops. Not a scenic destination.
However, we stayed in Sussex Gardens last June, at a little B&B called Hyde Park Radnor, which is on Sussex Place. We really liked the area, because it's quiet and semi-residential, with little mews and row houses.
From there, you can easily walk the 10 minutes to Paddington to catch transit, or walk the other direction a few minutes to Hyde Park. We didn't feel we were in an awkward location at all. We walked to Kensington Palace from our hotel, and easily found buses by Hyde Park, too. Lots of cabs in the Sussex Gardens area, too.
The Victoria area looked nice, too, but we liked our more quiet residential area to return in the evenings.
We found an excellent Indian restaurant down the street from the Hyde Park Radnor, the “Noorjahan 2” at 26 Sussex Place. I had an amazing prawn dish with shrimp so big you'd think they were lobster tails, in this incredible sauce. (And this from someone who thought she didn’t like Indian food!)

Search this Thread