Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Looking for $100-120/double in London near Victoria Station (Mayfair.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24th, 2001, 03:39 PM
Chris

Please recommend a clean and comfortable hotel in the $100-120/double room near Victoria Station. Thank you in advance for the help.

Old Nov 25th, 2001, 02:44 AM
Keila

Dream on.

Old Nov 25th, 2001, 03:01 AM
Gregory

There is a Holiday Inn near Victoria Station which might have special offers depending on when you stay.<BR>Another Fodorite enquired about the Central House Hotel near Victoria as it was in the Virgin Atlantic brocuhre for london. Its website is www.centralhousehotel.co.uk

Old Nov 25th, 2001, 09:30 AM
Mike Miller

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Victoria earlier this month for 99 pounds per nite which included a very good (100+ items) breakfast bar. The market is soft right now they will deal. Website: <BR>www.holiday-inn.com/lon-victoria

Old Nov 25th, 2001, 09:35 AM
kelly

A couple years ago I stayed at the Easton hotel, located about 3 or 4 blocks from Victoria Station. The price was $75 USD for a double. It is nothing fancy, and in fact a little deary looking, but it is convienent and safe. Here is a website for it:<BR><BR>http://www.londonhotels.demon.co.uk/easton.html

Old Nov 25th, 2001, 09:36 AM
kelly

I meant dreary, not deary...

Old Nov 25th, 2001, 11:26 AM
Carmen

The only way you'll find a decent hotel at that price is by using Priceline. Look at www.biddingfortravel.com before using Priceline. It gives great advice on how to bid on Priceline.

Old Nov 25th, 2001, 11:36 AM
Chris

Thank for all the kind replies. Keila would be surprised to know that I have e-mailed a number of hotels in the area (Belgrave Road and Ebury Street) and have a number of promising leads, some of them with good past reviews posted. <BR><BR>Front-runners are: <BR>Victoria Inn, <BR>Aarden Hotel, <BR>Ebury House. Is anybody familiar with any of these hotels?

Old Nov 25th, 2001, 12:13 PM
Ben Haines

I've nothing on the Victoria Inn, but in discussion this July Fodors' correspondents wrote thus of the other two. <BR><BR>Arden Hotel. http://www.ardenhotel.com/. Basic, but clean, about 10mins walk to Victoria on a quiet street. <BR><BR>Arden Hotel. I was there a month ago, clean and convenient. The rooms at the back "benefit" from the noise of the trains entering and leaving Victoria station. It's not a strong noise since the trains go slowly at this stage, but people with a light sleep should ask a room looking on the street.<BR>12 St Georges Drive, SW1, phone 7834 2988<BR><BR>Ebury House Hotel. In the late 1980's we stayed at this delightful small hotel. It was made up of a couple of Georgian houses and we had a room with a canopy bed and a fireplace. It was moderate price then and only a few blocks from the station. It had a full English breakfast which was served in the basement of the old house. We found this hotel in guide books but it is probably on the internet. <BR>102 Ebury Street, phone 7730 1350. Double or Twin Bed and Breakfast from 55 to 75 pounds, 77 to 105 dollars. http://www.smoothhound.co.uk/a44192.html/.<BR><BR>These notes come from a collation I keep on disc of what people said that July. I have taken the liberty of copying it to you by e-mail.<BR><BR>Near Victoria is not Mayfair but Belgravia.<BR><BR>Welcome to London<BR><BR>Ben Haines<BR><BR><BR> <BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR>

Old Nov 25th, 2001, 12:25 PM
Chris

Very kind of you Mr. Hines. The Victoria Inn have been very courteous and promptly on their replies.

Old Nov 25th, 2001, 01:34 PM
Merriem

Just came back from London, and got a terrific rate through londontown.com for The Beaufort.......99 pounds for a lovely double. Just a short distance from Harrods, and perfect location for the tube. The normal rate is about 250 pounds, and for the discounted rated we got breakfast in our room, tea in the afternoon, and an open bar. Not bad, and a very nice place with the great staff. e-mail me if you want more info.

Old Nov 25th, 2001, 03:05 PM
Mike Miles

Be careful about staying in some of the small hotels on Ebury Street. We checked into one that we had booked on the web and the shower was covered top to bottom with mold. We checked out the next day and went to stay in a chain.

Old Nov 26th, 2001, 07:04 AM
Jess

Chris,<BR><BR>Have you checked out www.discountcityhotels.com? I booked my hotel in London a couple of weeks ago and got a three star hotel in the Bayswater area for 29 pounds a night! (no joke) It's for one person but they may have deals you can take advantage as well. Good luck!

Old Nov 26th, 2001, 07:16 AM
Merilee

I stayed at the Windermere and it was very clean, comfortable, and nicely decorated...it's owned by a very nice couple...there's a restaurant on the premises that serves a cooked to order full English breakfast in the morning to guests only...in the evening it's open to all...I paid the equivalent of $110.00 American dollars two years ago...it was inclusive of VAT and full English breakfast...the neighborhood was nice and Victoria Station was about 3 blocks away...there's a place called Cafe Italia next to Victoria Station that's always open and it has pretty good food, desserts, and believe it or not great coffee.

Old Nov 26th, 2001, 07:19 AM
Merilee

I forgot to mention that my room also had it's own bathroom...the room and bathroom were newly renovated and decorated...it was on the top floor and it looked out over the area...no elevator, though, but it really didn't matter...the staircase added to its charm.

Old Nov 28th, 2001, 09:48 PM
Kerryanne

<BR>Have you considered checking the prices for the TRAVEL INN ? I know there are a few in London, one we are looking at is located very close to Euston Station. When last I checked it was 70 Pound per room per night for a double, not including breakfast though. They have a virtual tour of the room on their website. I think it was www.travelinn.com but you may need to just do a search. Check it out.<BR>Hope this helps.

Old Nov 29th, 2001, 12:41 AM
Kerryanne

<BR>Have you considered checking the prices for the TRAVEL INN ? I know there are a few in London, one we are looking at is located very close to Euston Station. When last I checked it was 70 Pound per room per night for a double, not including breakfast though. They have a virtual tour of the room on their website. I think it was www.travelinn.com but you may need to just do a search. Check it out.<BR>Hope this helps.

Old Nov 29th, 2001, 01:48 AM
Ben Haines

<BR><BR>Dear Mr Miles,<BR><BR>If you'll be so kind as to e-mail me the name of the mouldy hotel I'll report your news in my note to disc, for others to see. I know you don't want readers to miss every hotel in Ebury Street because some are bad. You'll see the wide variation of quality from my complete note, which I am copying to you by e-mail.<BR><BR>I look forward to your addition.<BR><BR>Ben Haines, London <BR><BR><BR><BR> <BR>

Old Nov 29th, 2001, 06:54 AM
trying

We stayed on Ebury at the Astors Hotel (or Hotel Astors) for about $120 in 1998. We survived it. Nothing to write home about. Severely dated; slightly smokey, and the bathroom was kind of rigged up in what may have been a closet. That said, exchange rates were terrible at the time and it was livable.

Old Nov 29th, 2001, 09:55 AM
sonia

We got a great price for 4* hotel from Londontown.com -- you enter type of hotel and your dates, and they come back with a list of what's available. We were very pleased with the service, would use it again in a minute. (We stayed at the Millenium Baileys in Gloucester Road for 60 pounds/night, plus tax. Excellent deal.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -