Hotel Fürstenhof /Leipzig

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30th, 2006, 07:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking for a 5 star luxury hotel near the concert hall in Leipzig. I've booked at
Hotel Fürstenhof and want to be sure I've made the right choice. Ingo are you out there? Have I made a good pick? Thanks.
Old Sep 30th, 2006, 08:07 AM

The concert hall you are referring to is the Gewandhaus, right? The walking distance between Gewandhaus and Fürstenhof is about 15 minutes - not recommended. But there are trams and taxis available. If you choose either it is the right choice.

You won't find another five star hotel closer to the Gewandhaus concert hall. Okay, the Marriott is a little closer, but it's still a 10 minutes walk.
Old Sep 30th, 2006, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Ingo. It is the Gewandaus. I'll just plan on cabs back and forth.
Old Oct 29th, 2006, 05:04 AM
DAX

I just stayed at the Marriott Leipzig a few days ago. I like it for its location and very good room quality for the price. It's a higher end Marriott room and the staff is really great, very accomodating & helpful. The public areas are just OK and the exterior appearance is worse than the picture on their website, but it really doesn't matter when you're inside the relatively nice room (I know it's still a Marriott room).

I would recommend the Marriott over the Furstenhof because it's closer to to the touristic places. Just a couple block south of the hotel is Barfusgaestchen which is a lively food alley (double row of outdoor/indoor restaurants) especially at night. It was a bit too crowded/hectic for me. The main square (Marktplatz) nextdoor also has a great winebar restaurant called WINESTOCK (Am Markt #7: business lunch crowd). I also have to recommend Albert's (Am Markt #9)where I had a great pasta pockets of pear with crispy fried rockets in gorgonzola sauce. Actually there are plenty of good restaurants to choose from in Leipzig.

Leipzig is better than I expected. The oldtown areas are very well renovated though they are mostly shops & commerce; it reminds me of Hamburg (without the waterfront). It's a comfortable city to visit.
Old Oct 29th, 2006, 05:20 AM
Original Poster

Dax, I have to admit the location of the Fürstenhof concerned me a bit too but I gather I'm really only about 5 minutes away from the train station on foot. I never considered the Marriott (I like old world!!!) but did toy with the Victor´s Residenz-Hotel Leipzig. It got three good reviews on TripAdvisor but I can't find anyone else who has stayed there!
Old Oct 29th, 2006, 11:17 AM
DAX

flyer:
I actually walked past the Viktor Residenz and was quite impressed by the public rooms as I saw them through the large windows. It did look like a nice full service hotel though I didn't enter. The only downside that I can think of is the big long construction right in front of the hotel(maybe digging for the new metro line, but I didn't really check). To be sure, you should probably email the hotel and request for a quiet room. The hotel is very close to the Hauptbahnhof so you can just hop on the airport train unless you have a lot of luggage that you prefer to take a taxi. There is a big sea of traffic & multi tram lines between the hotel & the station, I felt like I was frog in a frogger game.

The hotel is a short walk southward to Augustusplatz for other performance centers. Leipzig has a big cultural scene. I arrived late in Leipzig and actually enjoyed seeing Leipzig old town at night which looked so different with all the lighting and the glimmer of the shiny cobblestones. The university just south of the Augustusplatz has a couple of theatres as well. The student Moritzburg venue in particular looked intriguing as shows are performed on the rooftop of the old burg ruin.
Old Oct 29th, 2006, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Dak. You are the first one to be able to tell me anything about Victor´s Residenz-Hotel Leipzig. Here's all I have to go by -- The Furstenhof is offering a Jr. Suite (60 square meters) for 215,00 EUR (no brakfast). Victor´s Residenz-Hotel Leipzig is ffering their "Presidetial Suite" (though probably not much of a suite at 37 square meters) for 165,00 EUR including breakfast. I have no doubt that the Furstenhof is a more deluxe property but Victor's has a lot going for in the way of convenience. I wish I could find someone who has stayed there.
Old Oct 30th, 2006, 05:18 PM
DAX

flyer: You have a tough choice, it's a toss. Personally I didn't choose Fuerstenhof because it was renovated 10 years ago plus the standard rooms look to have the old Kempinski version of a 5 star, however the Fuerstenhof jr suite does look a lot better on the internet. I don't think location is an issue, the Fuerstenhof is not far from the station when I compared with distances that I walked daily there. Both hotels are outside the old town ring road so they have comparable access into old town.

Victor's Residenz is more recently renovated but has street digging on the south side. A 400sq ft suite should really be called the Best Western Suite instead of the Presidential suite but the price does reflect the size. So if I were you, I would decide whether the comfort of a 660 sq foot suite is a must or is a 400 sq foot suite room is good enough. I was only in Leipzig for two nights so I spent most of my time exploring and didn't get to enjoy the room much at all. When I did get back to my room I thoroughly enjoyed the special Marriott bed quite a bit after staying at a "Leading of the World hotel with normal beds in Stuttgart. Please post your experience/description of whichever hotel here when you get back from the trip.
Old Oct 30th, 2006, 08:20 PM
Original Poster

Victor´s Residenz-Hotel won! On the practical side, I took a look at a hotel map and The Furstenhof was a little further away than I would have liked. And, the hotel really convinced me. I got a very nice e-mail from the manager detailing the room and it sounds quite nice. They could not have been more helpful. Dax, Thanks for your help. I have a feeling I may have found a hidden treasure.