Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

which hotel in KL, Marriott, Renaissance or Shangri La?

Jun 26th, 2006, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

Planning a two night stay in KL and have a choice of JWMarriott, Renaissance or Shangri La. Any experience, recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.
Jun 26th, 2006, 11:20 AM

I stayed at the Ritz Carleton (which I loved), which is right next door to the Marriott. The Marriott looked nice, and the location is good.

I looked at the Shangri-La, and we had an exceptionally expensive lunch there one day. I thought it was too huge and too glitzy for me, but it depnds on what you like.

Sorry, I didn't see the Renaissance.
Jun 26th, 2006, 04:28 PM

If you want convenience, you can choose Marriott hotel. It's right in the centre of Bukit Bintang area and accesibility to other parts of town is good as there are monorail, bus & taxi stands right in front of the hotel. Buses are plentiful and you can get around town at a fixed price of RM2 for the whole day. I didn't really favour Marriott because of their boring pool. (it's hard to have your morning swim with the breakfast crowd milling around the pool).

Shangri-La, sorry never stayed there but it is located nearby KLCC (walking distance).

Renaissance is my fav hotel, because of the great staff at Club Level. The director of rooms is a very friendly and hospitable lady. But location, is it not in the centre of action. If you like peace and quiet in the middle of KL, it is a good choice as compared to Marriott / Ritz Carlton, its room rates are lower and it has a gorgeous pool. It's nearby Zouk, Hard Rock Cafe, Malaysian Tourism Centre and walking distance to KLCC and there's a monorail & LRT station across the road.
Jun 26th, 2006, 05:02 PM

We really liked the JWMarriott several years ago when we visited KL.
Jun 26th, 2006, 10:44 PM

I like the Shangri La - very big and Glitzy - whichj may or may not be your thing. The Renaissance has 2 wings one better than the other.