Hotel de Nevers or Hotel Malar in Paris?

Apr 2nd, 2003, 05:56 AM
Original Poster

Hotel de Nevers or Hotel Malar in Paris?

Please help! I'm a first-time traveler to Paris and want to say in the 7th. I'm debating between Hotel de Nevers (rue de Bac) and Hotel Malar (rue Malar).

I've read reviews on tripadvisor.com re: de Nevers and its great location but can only find one picture online, no website. Are the rooms nice? Does the hotel have that Parisien charm?

Hotel Malar has a great website and it looks wonderful but I can't find any reviews of it online. Has anyone stayed here?

I want to make the right choice and need to make a decision very soon.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!
Apr 2nd, 2003, 10:44 AM

this was getting lost; so I am topping for "mom."
Apr 2nd, 2003, 11:05 AM

I can only comment regarding the two locations and find the Rue du Bac far more convenient. It's one of my favourite Paris streets. Also, closer to the metro stop (Rue du Bac or Sevres-Babylone), stores and to walk to sites.
Rue du Bac is lively in some parts (lovely small food shops) and close to Le Bon Marche (La Grande Epicerie!), while Rue Malar is pretty quiet.
Also, bus connections are very good on Blvd. Saint-Germain and Blvd. Raspail.

From Rue Malar, you'll have to walk over to the Rue cler area to get some action and places to eat. If you're looking for a very quiet neighbourhood, then take the Malar, no question.

Sorry, can't comment on the hotels themselves, but the location is almost as important to me in a city like Paris.
Apr 3rd, 2003, 06:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks palette and Ursula. This info helps.

If anyone has first hand (or second hand for that matter) knowledge of the actual hotels, please let me know.
Apr 3rd, 2003, 07:35 PM

One of the best places for reviews is www.paris.org/Hotels. It has 3 on the Nevers, all seem quite positive, as I recall. It is also reviewed quite highly in Sandra Gustafson's Cheap Sleeps in Paris book, which I trust. I also would prefer the rue de Bac location and would go with the Nevers based on those reviews and that book, but you may feel differently. I think it is just a very small budget hotel and does not engage in advertising.
Apr 4th, 2003, 02:13 AM

Stayed on rue Malar right beside Hotel Malar for two months this past fall and this is a superb neighborhood to get the "Paris feel". rue de Bac is not a bad area but you do not get the same Parisian feel there, even though is only about a fifteen minute walk away.

Also, rue Malar is only a block from the Seine. Trust me on this.
Enjoy Paris--you will!
Apr 4th, 2003, 02:03 PM
Original Poster

THANKS everyone! I feel good now about going with Hotel de Nevers. I'll be sure to post a review when I get back.
Apr 24th, 2003, 08:11 AM

I have stayed at Hotel Malar twice and loved it. It has a great location and great price. Ask for a quiet room. there is not lift, so you may have to carry luggage upstairs. The woman who runs it is very helpful!
Apr 24th, 2003, 10:12 AM

FYI, the Hotel de Nevers now has a website:

www.hoteldenevers.com

The only photo is of the entry area, though....