Search

Hotel Alimandi

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 09:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel Alimandi

Does anyone know how the 3 star Alimandi Hotel is compared to the 4 star? I'm leaning toward the Alimandi because they pick you up from the airport. Or does any other hotel do this also?
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 05:21 PM
Original Poster

anyone have an opinion on Alimandi?
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 08:08 AM

This is funny, but I am trying to make the same decision. I, too, like that they pick you up from the airport. If you look at tripadvisor.com, under Hotel Alimandi, you'll see reviews for both hotels and they all seem to be good, though of course the 4 star is probably a little nicer.
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 11:27 AM

Gary and Steph: My wife and I have stayed at the Alimandi twice, in 2001 and 2005. Both times we were in the three star section; the four star annex didn't open, I believe, until 2004. Last summer we looked in on the annex (across the street and around a corner). We didn't see any of the rooms. but the lobby was more spacious and definitely newer than the three star version. However, it didn't seem to have the same liveliness as the three star Alimandi, which seems to be the place that has more people, books tours, and keeps a few plates spinning in the air. The three star Alimandi has furnishings that look a bit dated, but it's very clean, and the air conditioning is top notch. It also has the rooftop bar, where breakfast is served. I don't know if there's anything quite like that in the four star. To take advantage of the character (and characters) of the Alimandi, all of which (and whom) we thoroughly enjoyed, I'd stay at the three star.
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 12:07 PM

I just returned from Rome last Sun(March 5) and spent 4 nights at the 3* Alimandi. I enjoyed it. I thought it was a good location for Vatican Museums and access to Metro to get around. I was not able to take advantage of the Airport pickup, as my flight left too early on Sun.(6.35 AM)
Otherwise the 3* was just fine. Friendly staff.
Rich
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 05:25 PM
Original Poster

thanks for the info. i think the airport pickup makes the hotel attractive too since my wife and I have not been there before.

steph...when are you going?
Old Mar 12th, 2006, 12:18 PM

garyt: I am planning to go in October.
I may opt for th 4* hotel - the rooms
have a few more features, e.g. refridgerator that I find useful
while on vacation. When are you going
garyt? While I have been to Rome before, who needs the extra expense of a taxi from the airport and I really don't care to drag luggage around on the train and thru the streets!
Old Mar 12th, 2006, 08:08 PM
Original Poster

hey steph,

we're going for our honeymoon late June. I agree with the added expense. Given that we've never been there before, it's nice to not to have to take the train right after we step off the plane.

Did anyone have a problem with the location though? Is it nice to walk around the area in the evening?
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 06:59 AM

I stayed there a few years ago and chose it for our last night because of the airport drop off service. I was pleasantly surprised as it was nicer than i expected.Rooms where nice and the breakfast on the rooftop was a pleasant surprise considering it was my last morning in Roma.Delicious and views that gave me lasting memories for my last day.
After saying the positives , the location in my opinion is not where i would stay for a couple of days. It is not an area that i whould walk around and "enjoy" an evening stroll. For that you should go to the Pantheon/Piazza Navona area. Thats where we where prior to leaving Rome then going to Sicily and then back to Rome for our last night so i experienced the two different areas on that trip. Hands down Piazza Navona/Pantheon area is where you want to be for the evenings to walk around.
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 10:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Dear Garyt:

I agree with lvitaly. I have stayed at the Alimandi and at the Due Torri near the Piazza Navona. The Alimandi is nice and handy to the Vatican, but the neighborhood is very residential and dead in the evenings. Since this is your honeymoon, try to stay in the Navona/Pantheon area. This is the historical center. Nice for strolling, eating, sightseeing. Handy to the most popular areas. Plus I think the area is more romantic.

Don't get me wrong, the Alimandi/Vatican area was fine, but the Navona/Pantheon area has much more to offer.

MY
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 03:01 PM

I'll offer a different opinion. It is true that the area right around the Alimandi isn't all that great for wandering. However, you won't encounter all that many tourists, and the gelateria across the street is one of the best
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 03:08 PM

(oops interrupted) in Rome. However, it's not a long walk to St. Peter's and the Tiber, and we enjoyed our evening walks along the Tiber as much as we enjoyed the Piazza Navona (and we walked there from the Alimandi, although we're partial to walking all around the cities we visit). I'd say the advantages outweighed the disadvantages, and you can "discover" some shops, pizzerias, and restaurants that are off the beaten track (but by all means, go to Ditirambo (near Campo De' Fiori...about a twenty-five minute walk from the Alimandi) one evening for dinner
Old Apr 6th, 2009, 08:39 PM

I hope it is not too late to reply. I have stayed at both Alimandis and was happy with both. My family and I first stayed at the 3 star and, while simple, suited our needs perfectly. We particularly enjoyed breakfast on the rooftop each morning. The three star hotel was booked b the time we made our reservations for our second trip so we ended up staying at the 4 star. The rooms were definitely more deluxe (roomier, nicer furnishing, large bathroom, and the beds were very comfortable) but we missed the atmosphere of breakfast on the rooftop. We liked the proximity to St. Peter's basilica and the Vatican museum and enjoyed exploring the neighborhood. We found an amazing farmer's market and enjoyed the the fact that the neighborhood was relatively quiet in the evening. We now feel this is "our" Roman neighborhood!