Search

Help with Itinerary for Switzerland - May-June

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 08:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with Itinerary for Switzerland - May-June

Hello,

I am planning a trip of approximately two weeks in Switzerland. I plan to leave the US on Memorial Day (Monday, May 25, 2009). I plan to travel mainly by car, either picking up the car when I leave Zurich or when I leave Lucerne.

Here are my tentative thoughts:

1 night: on the plane en route to Switzerland
1-2 nights: Zurich
2 nights: Lucerne
3 nights: Berner Oberland (preferably Lauterbrunnen)
1 night: Bern
1 night: Montreux
1 night: Zermatt or nearby
2 nights: Ascona, Locarno or Lugano
1 night: Engadines
1 night: Appenzell or St Gallen
1 night: Zurich (for flight back to US the following morning)

By the way, I am an amateur photographer and like the freedom I have with a car to stop wherever I please and follow my own schedule.

Opinions and suggestions are welcome. I plan on making hotel reservations for the first few nights because I know where I'll be, but after that, I'd like to stay flexible. Do you think I'll have any difficulty finding places to stay at this time of year? Also, would one night (rather than two) suffice for the initial visit to Zurich? If the plane arrives on time, I'd have about 1/2 a day on Tuesday and most of the day on Wednesday for sightseeing (assuming I left for Lucerne late in the afternoon).

Thanks fellow travelers for your help and suggestions.
Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 09:03 AM

I'd not spend more than the first night in Zurich until returning to leave. I suggest you use that extra night for some of the other magical places down the road. If you are not too picky, you can probably find accommodations without advance reservations, but you might want to make a reservation for your return to Zurich. I tend to make reservations for one reason only: to avoid the time wasted in looking for a place to stay.

Many posting here might comment on your rather rushed-looking itinerary, but as a photographer myself I understand you want to see as much as possible. Toward that end, somewhere between Bern and Montreux, try to find time for Gruyeres and a couple of other neat villages in the area such as Murten and Romont. Good luck.
Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 02:50 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Hi,

I'd head straight to Lucerne after arriving. Save Zurich for your last night. I'd add one of those extra nights to Zermatt (Increases your odds of seeing the Matterhorn) and add one night to one of your other one night stays.

Paul
Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 03:01 PM

If you are arriving into Zurich early I suggest you train directly to Lucerne. There is a train station inside the airport. Very easy. Just make sure you head down to the correct track after purchasing your ticket. Here are my photos/journal from my time in Lucerne. http://travelswithdiane.homestead.co...2006Page1.html
Have a wonderful trip and take many great photos!
Old Apr 1st, 2009, 09:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks folks for your feedback. I hadn't thought of traveling straight through to Lucerne. Great idea, however I decided to spend one night in Zurich at the beginning (but not two), because that itinerary put me in other locations on the days I wanted to be there.

I have two more questions:

1. Is a sidetrip to Zermatt to see the Matterhorn worthwhile, assuming that the weather was good in Lauterbrunnen and I was able to get up to Jungfraujoch?

2. When I travel from Montreux or Zermatt to the lakes region (Locarno, Lugano, etc.), would it be better to cut through Italy via the Simplon Pass, or stay within Switzerland using the St. Gotthard Pass? Similarly, traveling from the lakes to the St. Moritz area, would it be better to head east into Italy and then north to St. Moritz, or stay within Switzerland via the San Bernadino Pass? Traveling through Italy means I'll have to pay a little bit more for a rental car (Europcar has no restrictions on travel through Italy, Avis does).

If you have advice on these questions, once again I would appreciate it.

Thanks!
Old Apr 3rd, 2009, 08:52 AM

I arrived in Zuerich from Denver - Amsterdam around 11AM, and took an Intercity train from the airport to Interlaken-Lauterbrunnen, with a change in in Bern (same platform) and Interlaken Ost. After a 4 day visit in L., I picked up my rental car in Interlaken, and continued on my Swiss trip. It makes no sense to have a car sitting around Lauterbrunnen or Grindelwald, when all your travels will be on trains, busses and cable cars up the mountains. While in the Berner Oberland, include a train trip from Inerlaken to Thun, visit this town, and then take a boat back to Interlaken, either from Thun or Spiez. It's very nice, and you'll enjoy the photo ops.
Old Apr 3rd, 2009, 09:15 AM

PS: Here are a few "Photo Op" suggestions in the Berner Oberland: For visiting the Schilthorn and Jungfraujoch, be sure to head out early. The Schilthorn has a tendncy to get clouded (or fogged ) up later in the day. At the Jungfrau, you'll have a hard time getting decent pix once the special trains with tourist from Asia arrive. They have a tendency to stand forever at the worthwhile sights, while first papa takes a pix of mama, and then mama takes the same pix of papa. Honestly, I haven nothing against Asians, except when they are behind a camera.

There is a nice hike from the topof the Maennlichen to the Kleine Scheidegg. Wide path, all slight down hill, with a constant view of the Eiger Nordwand (Northface) and the Jungfrau, as well as the Grindelwald valley. You can get to the Maenncluichen by cable car from Wengen, or gondola lift from outside of Grindelwald. Also, I wish I had taken a hangglider flight (doubled up with an instructor) from the top of the First, with my camera on hand.

As to your Zermatt question: Obviously, the Matterhorn is very impressive. But you will see many great mountain views without the somewhat awkward detour to Zermatt.

From Interlaken to Luzen, take the Sustenpass road: Interlaken, Meiringen (pass starts shortly thereafter) to Altdorf, then on to the Vierwaldstaetter See (Lake Lucern), along its north shore to Luzern. I actually enjoy staying in Vitznau (at the foot of the Rigi) or Waegis, and taking the boat to Luzern. THe Sustenpass not only has spectacular mountain sights, but has been rebuilt and is one of the easier passes to drive.
Old Apr 6th, 2009, 09:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your comments, Treplow!