Old Dec 20th, 2005, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trying to decide between three hotels in Rome

Hi. Could anyone tell me which hotel they would prefer in Rome:
Due Torri
Teatro di Pompeo
Residenza Canali
My Mom and I are trying to decide between the three for our March 16-19th stay. All are in the location we like and similar price range. We are mostly concerned with a nice clean room, kind staff and not too much noise at night. I have done a search for all three hotels on this sight, read all of the postings and I have checked out trip advisor. All look good. I was just wondering if one might stand out as the clear choice to any of you that have traveled to Rome. Thanks!
Old Dec 20th, 2005, 09:34 AM

Hi, I have stayed in two of the three. Due Torri is a fun family hotel but some of the rooms are sort of iffy, there might be noise from the vespa repair shop downstairs. The staff is friendly and helpful. You can see into the the apartments right across the narrow alley which gives it a homey touch.

R. Canali is more upscale. The staff again is wonderful and it is family owned and operated. Mama serves breakfast and daughter is at the front desk, they take pride in their hotel which was a family villa. The rooms are kept up and spotless, moreso than D. Torri. The front desk is up one flight and you ring a bell from the street to enter.

Due Torri has an elevator, R. Canali does not.

Even though I like the D. Torri, have stayed there a number of times and would stay there again, I would recommend Res. Canali, where I have also stayed on many different occasions.
Old Dec 20th, 2005, 10:27 AM

I would suggest that you look at tripadvisor.com for reviews on these hotels. Is Residenza Canali the same as Residenza Canali ai Corinari? If so, then I have a very different perspective of that hotel. I thought our room was dirty, the hotel's layout made is extremely noisy and I had ants in the bathroom. The breakfast was very good and the location was perfect. I thought it was way overpriced for the hotel but I'm sure it's proximity to Piazza Navona drove that price.
Old Dec 20th, 2005, 10:34 AM

Hi Sandi, I remember reading your post on Canali. The place I stayed was
Canali ai Corinari and it was perfect.

It is so strange that we experienced such different impressions of the same place! When I was there it was spotless, the last time I was there was during the Blackout a year or so ago.

So, CVerga, who knows what you will find!! Researching is such fun, isn't it....
Old Dec 20th, 2005, 11:11 AM

Hi C,

I can make a recommendation for Hotel Giardino Rome. I stayed there 5 nights in Sept and it's a nice cosy, homey place. Katy and her staff are extremely helpful and respond quickly to e mails. My single room was 90E night. Breakfast was the usual, nothing special, but great hot chocolate! Excellent location, behind Trajan's Market between there and the Quirinale. Walkable to everywhere!

Buon viaggio!
Old Dec 21st, 2005, 03:35 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your thoughts. I have to admit that I am really not sure what to think of the Residenza Canali now Researching is fun and confusing! Do any of you know anything about the Teatro di Pompeo? I will check out the Hotel Giardino. Are there any other hotels in that general location, that are within the same price range, that you would consider a "sure thing"? Thanks so much.
Carol
Old Dec 21st, 2005, 06:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've only stayed in one hotel in Rome: Canali ai Coranari, and I thought it was great. I can see where there would be potential for some noise at night since the rooms all have at least one wall that they share with the main staircase, but this was no problem at all when we were there last March. The location, as others have noted, is very central and we walked to most everything.
Old Dec 22nd, 2005, 07:16 AM

I can also recommend the Canali. Stayed there in October 2005. Found the rooms very clean, staff friendly and helpful and breakfast very good. The best part was the location - just a minute walk to Piazza Navona. Our room was on the top floor with a balcony. Did not find it noisy at all either from within the hotel or outside. Seemed to be a good value for the price and would definitely stay there again.
Old Dec 22nd, 2005, 08:09 AM

C,

One more comment, the Giardino Rome has double paned windows on it's street-facing rooms. I am a light sleeper and nothing disturbed me, except for a wild thunder and lightening storm that rolled through at 6am!
Old Dec 22nd, 2005, 06:03 PM
Original Poster

I am really having a hard time making up my mind. My Mom and I are big on cleanliness (as I'm sure most people are) and somewhat "newer" beds and bedding is a BIG plus. When it comes to these things, does anyone know which one would be better, The Due Torri, Residenza Canali or Teatro di Pompeo? Also, for those of you that have stayed at the Residenza Canali, do you think it's worth spending about 30 euros more per night to have a room on the top floor with a terrace? We will be there in the middle of March so there is no way of telling what the weather will be like. Does anyone know if they have covered terraces?
Carol
Old Dec 23rd, 2005, 05:39 AM

If you stay at Res.canali then spend the extra for the room at the top. Most people that didn't complain about the noise were at the top of the marble stairs. Be sure that climbing stairs is not an issue with anyone in your party as they don't have a lift.
Old Dec 23rd, 2005, 06:56 AM

Go to tripadvisor.com & look in their hotel review section on the hotels you want. That helps make the decision easier. I also am going through the same quandary. Had a list of 10 hotels, then narrowed it down to about 2 or 3. I used reviews & did searches on this site, tripadvisor & slowtraveler.com to finally make a decision. I also want clean rooms & nice bedding, but a price that is reasonable. We decided on Residenza Cellini which gets great reviews. Hope this helps.
Old Dec 23rd, 2005, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again to all of you. Now I just have to make up my mind I had such an easy time (relatively speaking) picking our accomodations in Venice, Florence and Tuscany. Rome has been a tough one for me. I think it makes it a little more difficult for me because my Mom is paying for the airfare and hotels as a birthday gift for me and I'm doing all of the planning. So then, I don't want to pick something too pricey and seem greedy and I really don't want to be responsible for picking a bad hotel. I was just thinking that if this is the worst problem I'm dealing with this holiday season, I'm pretty darn lucky. The reality is that we will have a great time no matter which hotel I pick. My Mom and I stayed at a very "interesting" hotel in Mexico, years back, and it made for some very funny memories. Thanks again. You guys are great!
Old Dec 23rd, 2005, 04:29 PM

All three of your choices are fine....I believe the Canali is the most expensive of the three. The Canali has narrow and steep stairs and the first sleeping rooms are two flights up.

My favorite hotel in Rome at this price range is the Teatro di Pompeo. Clean, comfortable and friendly staff.....to ensure a quiet stay, make sure you ask for a room in the rear of the hotel.

But you will be happy with any one of them....

Jim Zurer
[email protected]
Old Dec 27th, 2005, 07:46 AM

We stayed in the residenza Canali with the private balcony during our honeymoon in September.

In my opinion, the hotel was not worth the 265 Euro per night. The view from the penthouse was nothing special - just satellite dishes on rooftops and one church spire. The amenities are few, the 5 flights of stairs were no fun with our luggage, and the front desk staff were not nearly as friendly or helpful as other hotels we stayed in throughout Italy. The shower had broken doors, so water flooded the bathroom. In addition, the TV didn't work. Minor annoyances, but for the money, I expected better.

Walking around the area we found 2 four-star hotels for 125-165 Euro, and the famous Raphael hotel, which looked absolutely amazing, was the same price as our place - 265 Euro - but MUCH MUCH more. Don't mind spending the money, but I want it to be worth it. I felt we could have stayed in a place right around the corner (sorry - I forgot the name of the other hotels) for equal cleanliness, better amenities and much less money. I really would not recommend this hotel to anyone.
Old Dec 27th, 2005, 01:47 PM

I just booked the Canali again for my trip in March. There is a cash discount given at checkout. I am paying well below the price agenda quotes, waaaay below. I will let you all know what happens, lol.
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 12:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think we paid around 260 euro per night at the Canali last March, but it was for 2 connected rooms with 2 baths. It was the cheapest place we stayed while in Italy and I thought it was a very good deal for the location and the room set-up which was ideal for families. Have fun, SeaUrchin.
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 01:17 PM

Hi Suki, thanks! I have stayed in that two room suite too and thought it was very nice. Since then I have stayed in a double with a balcony and enjoyed it too, actually it was last year. So now I am getting a double as a single.
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 02:15 PM

You might consider the Hotel Portoghesi. Great location near the Piazza Navona. Price was only 150E- very clean, nice and definitely a good value.
Old Dec 29th, 2005, 06:13 AM

SeaUrchin, you got a deal if you paid that much for 2 rooms. My parents stayed next to us (with a connecting door) and we paid 259euro and they paid 207e (we had 3 in our room).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -