Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

horse-drawn carriages- Rome and/or Paris?

Mar 21st, 2008, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

I'm an equine enthusiast, and something of a romantic, so I think it would be really fun to ride around one (or both?) of these cities in a horse drawn carriage. I know that they have them in Rome, but does anyone have experience with approximate costs or anything like that? Also, do you know if there are carriages in Paris, and if so, what are the major spots to find one? In Rome, near any major spot I could always find at least one, but I don't remember seeing them in Paris like that. Thanks for your help.
Mar 22nd, 2008, 01:19 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Mar 22nd, 2008, 01:30 PM

Sorry, in numerous trips to Paris over a span of 30 years, I've yet to see carriages in Paris--but I have never been to the bois de Boulogne. If they had them, that would be my bet.

The only carriage ride we have ever tried was in Obernai France and it was a lot of fun. Can't remember the cost, but it was reasonable.
Mar 22nd, 2008, 04:36 PM

Good bet Klondike. Bois de Boulogne does have horse-drawn carriages.
Mar 22nd, 2008, 05:05 PM
twk

I don't recall seeing them in Paris, either, but one place that you can ride them where it's really neat is in the garden at Versailles. Particularly if you can time it so that you do this while the fountains are on. The carriage will allow you to cover a lot of ground comfortably, while giving you a great vantage point for photos (they stop frequently so movement isn't a problem).
Mar 22nd, 2008, 06:18 PM

FREE THE HORSES
Mar 22nd, 2008, 06:35 PM

They don't allow them in the city of Paris, they have some common sense and they are outlawed because they regard them as inappropriate and cruelty to animals. They are also obnoxious in cities in terms of their effects on traffic and the city and residents. Unfortunately, they have recently allowed them in the city where I live, on major streets in the city, and as a resident who has to drive these streets, I hate them and the people who ride in them and what they do to the environment and the traffic flow. I can't believe anyone who is truly an equine enthusiast would sanction these things.
Mar 22nd, 2008, 06:49 PM
Original Poster

Klondike, twk and Mr. Nuke, thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I am planning to visit both Versailles and Bois de Boulogne already!

Christina- what do horses do to the environment? And I'm sorry you've had such bad experiences with them causing traffic. In Chicago, New York and Omaha, where I've encountered carriages, there didn't seem to be any problem at all. Also any time I've been at those stands, I've seen nothing but well-fed, well shod and well groomed horses. Horses have pulled carriages for thousands of years, on hard surface roads since those were invented (which was around the time of the Romans, I believe), so I don't quite get the cruelty, but to each their own.
Mar 23rd, 2008, 08:37 PM

Copper,

Years ago when I was in Paris I happened to be outside the Ecole Militaire early one summer morning (about 9 am). I saw several riders (I assumed they were cadets) exercising their horses in the riding area behind the school.

If you are an equine enthusiast you might find this interesting.

Perhaps other posters can give you more information.
Mar 23rd, 2008, 10:25 PM

copper675- I believe some animal welfare groups don't like horses in urban areas because of the potential for serious injury due to traffic, and the stress the horses probably have with cars and buses whizzing by them at high speeds. They feel they just don't belong in the urban areas like that. Plus in narrower streets they may block traffic.

I know in NYC, if the temperature is above a certain point, the carriage drivers must stop for the day and take them back to their stables.

It'd be magical to have a carriage ride, but I can understand their concerns.

I would think that crazy fast italian drivers + horses would not mix very well!
Mar 24th, 2008, 06:22 AM

For an horse enthusiast, I would mention the horse museum, in Chantilly, a day trip from Paris.
Mar 24th, 2008, 06:27 AM

Copper we rode on them by the Spanish steps in Rome. My youngest begged to do it in Florence and we never go to it -- wish we would have..cause it was a PRETTY penny (euro) in Italy! She loved every minute of it but I am fearful to even remember what the charge was!
Mar 24th, 2008, 06:56 AM

Though the term Fiacre was i believe coined by a Parisian hotel of the same name who indeed provided horse-drawn carriages for guests to tour the city long ago

I too have never ever seen a fiacre working the city's hectic streets
Mar 24th, 2008, 07:02 AM

I meant to say it was more expensive in Rome then Florence - not that it was a pretty penny in Italy... I do know that Florence and Rome are indeed both in Italy
Nov 22nd, 2009, 07:07 PM

They don't have them in Paris proper, thank god. I think you can find them in the Bois de Boulogne. I never saw them in Rome, but I don't seek them out anywhere because I think they are schlocky and cruel to the animals. I'd rather use my own two feet to get around than sit in a carriage drawn by an abused animal.
Nov 26th, 2009, 09:29 AM

Horse drawn carriages are not romantic;they are abusive.

See this link from the Humane Society:

www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=66526198661
Nov 26th, 2009, 09:45 AM

They have them in Seville...
Nov 26th, 2009, 05:19 PM

I can't understand how an "equine enthusiast" can be driving around in a carriage in the center of large city - which IMHO is nothing less than animal abuse. Hosres belong in the countryside - not the traffic clogged center of major cities - and if you're so enthusiastic - take a riding holiday. (Watching animal shows on TV does not make you a nature enthusiast - it makes you a TV enthusiast!)
Nov 26th, 2009, 08:02 PM

It is unlikely the OP will see any of this criticism since her post was written in March, 2008.