Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hip Hotel for 20 year olds in Paris in Marais? Or 5-7th arrondisements?

Apr 3rd, 2009, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

My kids are working on trying to find the perfect hotel for their stay in mid-May - they're only staying 2 nights in Paris - their ages are 19-23 - 2 boys, 2 girls.
My daughter, who's in charge of Paris, is really getting confused, because there's so much to filter through.
She knows she wants a place that "not too small" - Being their ages, she wouldn't want a very quiet hotel where, when they come in at night, might cause a disturbance of any kind.
She'd like one in a location that had plenty to see and do around it.
Lots of cute cafes, places to walk to, interesting things to see
Price doesn't matter really, not at this point.
There have been so many recommendations but we haven't settled on any yet!
I just hope they can find a place they think is "cool" and good for kids their age, yet is in a location where there might be other kids of that age hanging around.
Nothing stuffy.
Really good service.
Clean.
Possibly a place they could eat lunch in if they want -
I think we like the Marais area, but then we've heard the 6th and 7th and even the 5th are good, so - if anyone knows of THE PLACE they should DEFINITELY look into, please let us know!
Apr 3rd, 2009, 03:55 PM

I think you will find hotels like the one you describe not filled with kids (since most can;t afford that type of accommodation) but with more mature couples with fairly high income.

If they want a party atmosphere they should try for hostels.

If they want modestly priced hotels most young people can afford - they're unlikely to serve meals except breakfast - and partying in the middle of the night probably won;t be appreciated, although many will be in areas with tons of cafes and restaurants.

It sounds like they want to stay at the sort of hotel where Pairs Hilton et al would hang out - rich young people looking for trendy, tons of services, restaurants and bars in the hotel, etc. You can certainly find that in Paris - but be prepared to pay at least $600-$700 per night for each room for 2 people. Oh - and these hotels won;t be happy with noise/partying in the halls/rooms either. I don;t know any HOTEL that wants that.
Apr 3rd, 2009, 04:32 PM

I think the original poster should be allowed to restate her questions in terms less open to dispute or re-interpretation.

I would not go as far as Spaarne but Yes, I did think: Jeez, at 20 I thought a youth hostel was fine and I sure did not have my mother obsessing over my bookings.

Teadrinker: If you want tea AND sympathy, try restating your request.
Apr 3rd, 2009, 09:25 PM
Original Poster

HE.
Apr 3rd, 2009, 09:39 PM

Look at this one. It might fit your criteria.
http://www.mamashelter.com/
Apr 3rd, 2009, 09:47 PM

Forget about the postings and figure it is part of the internet world. People seem to think they can write really rude things-comments they would never say in conversation. I think that what people are trying to say is that 20 something kids will not meet up with their age group at expensive hotels, but that is frankly not their business. Your kids will find out about clubs and bars and I am sure they will have a great time. I would suggest the Marais. Here is a hotel that looks hip and interesting--

http://www.bourgtibourg.com/

The 5th (Sorbonne is located here) and 6th are also great areas. 7th is probably a little too sedate for their age. But I think Marais or Bastille area is where your kids would want to be. They can easily get over to the 5 and 6 districts but Marais is hipper area for their age group.
Apr 3rd, 2009, 09:50 PM

Hi

The Five Hotel is funky - http://www.thefivehotel.com
Apr 3rd, 2009, 10:04 PM

Hi teadrinker -

I can't really offer any suggestions about a Marais hotel for your kids, but I just wanted to say I'm sorry you experienced rudeness in answer to your post.

For what it's worth, your post didn't strike me as inappropriate or odd or snooty in any way.

And I feel like I understand exactly what the kids mean about not wanting to stay in a hotel that was so small and quiet that their normal (not raucous) comings and goings at young-person hours might disturb others.

In fact, I have stayed in just such a a hotel in the Marais where that might be a problem - a perfectly nice small hotel, but one where you can hear people walk down the hall, put their keys in the lock next door, etc.

My DD (20) is currently living in Paris for a year doing a junior-year abroad. (I'm in Paris visiting her right now as a matter of fact - I'm living in Amsterdam this year, so it's not much of a journey.) She shares an apartment with a couple of French 20-somethings on the edge of the Marais. Geez, the hours those kids keep! Makes me tired just to hear about it. (And they're definitely not the Paris Hilton types for heaven's sake. They're normal energetic twenty-year-olds who go out at night. Looong after I've fallen asleep on the sofa at 10:00 PM. DD usually goes to university in San Francisco and she says kids here in Paris keep even later hours.)

Anyway, you've received a baptism of fire that many innocent posters have triggered here before - people interpret a post in one (derogatory) way and then just run with their interpretation. Don't take it personally. Really if you see the overwrought reactions other posts have generated sometimes, it can be pretty funny. Just laugh it off, mark it up to the miscommunication internet message boards are fraught with, and continue with the planning.

I'm sure your kids will have a wonderful time!

I'll ask DD if she has any special recommendations for places kids her age like to go to socialize - although since she speaks French (not sure if your kids do) that might be something to factor in. Anyway, if I get any tips from her, I'll pass them along.
Apr 3rd, 2009, 11:18 PM

Hi teadrinker,
I also do not see anything remotely wrong with your post and hope this doesn't deter you from continuing to participate in this forum. All I could read into your post was a mom trying to find a place her kids could stay, be safe, have fun, and not bother others.

I'm long past my 20's and so I could not help you with recommending a specific hotel. However, both the 5th and 6th Arr are full of young persons and so I'd recommend these two areas.

--gatorbill
Apr 4th, 2009, 06:43 AM
yk

teadrinker, just FYI, I posted a couple of Paris hotel suggestions on your other thread. Did you look there?
Apr 4th, 2009, 06:49 AM
yk

Nevermind, sorry teadrinker, I didn't see your response on that thread until just now. Good luck to your daughter in hotel-hunting!
Apr 4th, 2009, 07:30 AM

Being a 20 something getting ready to travel Europe after graduating college...you won't find an expensive hotel that is "cool" for kids their age. 20 somethings traveling Europe are all at hostels and budget hotels for under 100 euro a night. I have no hotel recommendations cause those cost more per night than my rent each month, but there are great walking tours for kids there age done by http://www.neweuropetours.eu/ they might be interested in to get a quick view of each cities highlights and to meet kids their age.
Apr 4th, 2009, 08:48 AM
tod

Hi Teadrinker,
If you're talking THIS MAY then some of the 'unusual' hotels that are not overpriced will be full - except maybe if a cancellation was on the cards when you happen to contact them.
I think this hotel is kinda funky, has a restaurant but is not near the buzz of street like Blvd Saint Germaine.
http://www.eldoradohotel.fr/

We are staying here for the first time at the end May this year.

This hotel is right in the thick of things and has lots of rooms. I liked the look of it. It has a restaurant on a busy street so there will always be a buzz here.
http://www.hoteleurope.net/

That Hotel Five looks really cool but may a titch too clinical?
Apr 4th, 2009, 09:04 AM

I understand your dilemma, I am 34 and am uncomfortable coming in late at night and getting "the look" from the receptionist in a small hotel!

Would they be interested in an apartment? It tends to be cheaper than a hotel. Otherwise, how about the Beaumarchais Hotel? It is in a lively, young area filled with nightlife.

Hopefully you come back for the suggestions others have given, and yes, people have been more catty on this forum lately. It's quite sad.
Apr 4th, 2009, 12:15 PM

The hotel that immediately came to my mind is Murano Resort Hotel. It's in the 3rd, just over a block or two beyond the Marais near Place de la Republique. When it first opened it was all the rage as one of Paris' first "design hotels". It has a decidedly young vibe but is also decidedly pricey. Recent reviews on Trip Advisor are very mixed, but if cost really isn't an issue, you might want your daughter to have a loook. She can google Murano Hotel Paris. I think the website is muranoresorts.com

Another possibility is Duo Hotel. We like design hotels and we stayed there one night before flying out of Paris on a trip whose focus was somewhere else in France. The public rooms were nicely redone but the individual rooms had not yet been renovated and were small. I assume they've been renovated by now. There is a youthful vibe here as well. There is a small fitness facility even. We enjoyed the breakfast room. It's just across the street from the department store Bazaar de Hotel de Ville and very much in the center of the young gay scene. We enjoyed it. Your daughter and friends probably would too. It's not cheap but it's less than Murano.