Ritz or George V in Paris with a kid?

Old May 9th, 2002, 05:09 PM
Terry

Ritz or George V in Paris with a kid?

Hi, I'm planning a week long trip to Paris in August. We are willing to splurge to celebrate our 10th Anniversary and a birthday. Since we're taking our 8 year old son along (husband doesn't like the idea of leaving him behind to the grandparents), I'm a little concerned about the kid-friendliness of the luxury hotels there. My son has never been to Europe. He's more used to the resort type setting though he fared rather well when we visited Japan in April.

Started out with the Lancaster on top of my list. After some research, I'm now between George V and Ritz for their high ratings and having a pool (for my son). Looked at Le Bristol (which is also equipped with an indoor pool) closely but thought my son wouldn't fit in there.

Would appreciate any input/advice. Based on their webpage, George V seems to be more ready for kids than the Ritz. Is that so? Also, has anyone stayed at the Royal Monceau?

Old May 9th, 2002, 07:02 PM
xxx

What difference could it possibly make to an 8-year-old kid? He'd have a LOT more fun at a 3*** anyway, unless you're grooming him to be the next Little Lord Fauntleroy. What 8-year-old boy is impressed by luxury hotels in Paris? If he's normal, he'd rather be out rollerblading than dealing with room service.

Thanks for posting just to impress yourself in public. I notice you got absolutely no responses other than mine, and mine isn't meant to be helpful.

Old May 9th, 2002, 07:38 PM
Bob

xxx above is a jerk. That is why he is afraid to identify himself or herself.

George V is very nice and classy. Low volume, small bar. Great service. Stayed there in 2000. Your kid would probably be better off in a different hotel. Why waste the money? Plus, I stayed there for hopefully a lack of 8 year old kids as I believed no parent would waste the dough taking a kid here.

See xxx....you can say this stuff politely.

Old May 9th, 2002, 08:15 PM
John

My parents always took us to the Crillon when I was growing up. We never had a problem, and I'm sure that no luxury hotel in Paris would allow a guest to feel unwanted, regardless of age.

That being said, I don't think that the Ritz would be the most friendly place for a kid. It is very quiet and austere...the pool area is even a bit snotty.

I would go with the George V, if only because it is part of the FOur Seasons chain. They know how to treat children very well. Although they probably won't have a kids program like FS resort hotels, be sure to tell the reservations agent that you will have a young man in tow...they often provide some kind of kid-friendly amenity and bathrobe for young guests. The George V is also a bit more central, IMHO, to all the things you might want to take your son to see...therefore never too far away to run back to the hotel in an emergency.

Old May 9th, 2002, 11:40 PM
Terry

Thanks for your reply, Bob and John.

I didn't mean to say I wanted to stay in a luxury hotel for my son's sake. I planned on staying in a nice hotel for some self-indulgence anyway for this trip and was hoping to leave the kid behind to the grandparents. That's why Lancaster was my first choice in the beginning. I would prefer a smaller luxury hotel personally. But since my husband really wishes the kid to come along for some exposure to another culture, I thought a larger hotel with a pool, if available at comparable cost, would better suit. Though we love to travel, we don't go stay in 4****L hotels every time nor do we lavishly celebrate our anniversary annually. Yet I don't see anything wrong or obnoxious about desiring some pampering once in a while. My son is perfectly normal - don't you worry. He doesn't even know the details of our plans, other than the possibility of going to Paris. If it was up to him, he would rather have another family fun in the sun summer vacation.

I asked about the Royal Monceau because I didn't see it mentioned anywhere here. It's one of the few Paris hotels I found that has a pool, along with Bristol, Ritz and George V.

John, since you don't sound any less normal than the guy next door despite your growing up with trips to Le Crillion, I guess it's okay for me to take my son to George V this summer.

Old May 10th, 2002, 12:47 AM
DJ

George V gets our vote. And, Congratulations on your upcoming Anniversary and Birthday! Why not splurge and have a joyous and memorable time. Your 8 year old will have a very nice time.

Old May 10th, 2002, 04:14 AM
glsebs

I have stayed at both hotels and the George V would definitely be the right one for you and your family. When we were at the George V, I noiced there were several families there. You will feel perfectly comfortable with your son at the George V.
BTW, it is annoying how some people literally attack others on these boards because they disagree with something the poster has said. You did not ask IF you should bring your son, only about which hotel would be better.

Have a great time in Paris.

Old May 10th, 2002, 04:31 AM
linda

Terry,

My boys stayed at Ritz in Paris this past summer with my dad. In all the planning that I did the Ritz never made me feel that the children were in any way unwelcome. I had to request an extra bed in the room (this was a gift from me to my dad for his 70TH and a room rather that a suite was all I could afford) and the Ritz did not blink an eye. My boys were older (13 and 16) but the Ritz did not know this. When I arrived (alone) for check-in there was no indication that they had any concern, they were totally professional and welcoming. When my 13 year old dashed around the corner very axious to make his arrival and to be part of the action the reservationist smiled warmly at his enthusiasm and obvious excitement. He was dressed nicely. I don't recall if he wore a jacket and collared shirt or shirt and tie, but it only added to the specialness of the occassion. They had a wonderful stay and would eagerly return.

By the way, when my 13 year old was 8 years old we travelled in France and although we did not stay at the Ritz, we stayed at a couple of very nice hotels. He loved it and now looks forward to a special hotel.

Have fun,

linda

Old May 10th, 2002, 11:57 AM
Marilyn

Last summer, my husband took our two boys(12 & 14) and stayed at George V for 12 days. I never felt uncomfortable there. They made sure we had adjoining rooms. My husband took them to the pool and there was never anyone there. We also took them to their fancier restaurant and they were treated like everyone else. I also looked at the Ritz but I like the location of George V better. Hope this helps.

Old May 10th, 2002, 08:52 PM
Christine

Terry I think it is a marvelous idea to take your son. I have stayed at the Ritz (thanks to a Christmas gift) and I have stayed at the George V. I vote for George V. Not that I am an expert but I felt intimidated at the Ritz. Yes it is very beautiful but for me the experience just was not well what I expected. I am not high maintenance but I just felt the service at George V was more gracious.
PS The trips I cherish the most are the ones that I took as a child with my parents. Often on the road staying at modest hotels and motels. But occasionally they would splurge for something special. When they did it made me feel special to experience something unique. Have a wonderful trip.
PPS I forgot I have a friend in Paris (native Parisian and very much in the know) who has told me that I should check out Plaza Athenee apparantly they have the best concierge in all of Paris (might be helpful for your son's stay)
Okay now I need to go to bed!

Old May 11th, 2002, 08:54 AM
Julie

In his book "Paris to the Moon" Adam Gopnik tells of taking his small son Luke to the Ritz pool to swim. It sounds rather kid-friendly. I suggest you get the book--available in paperback--and see if it makes you feel comfortable for your 8 year old.