Paris 5 star Leading Hotels

Old Jul 17th, 2001, 03:47 PM
Robin

Paris 5 star Leading Hotels

I know this has been discussed before but most of the information I've pulled up on this site was from several years ago.

Can anyone give any first hand opinions on the following hotels:

Plaza Athenee
Crillion
Le Bristol
Four Seasons George V

Thanks!

Old Jul 17th, 2001, 04:27 PM
wendy

Stayed at the George V in April. Going back again next week. Hotel has been totally renovated. Rooms are larger than most other hotel rooms. Bathroom is very large. White flowers are everywhere throughout the hotel. White orchids are in the rooms. Obviously, I am going back so I loiked it. Pool/spa in hotel. Great onion soup. Any questions, email,

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 02:44 PM
Robin

Thanks for suggesting the Four Seasons Wendy. I don't ususaly look at the chain because it's ALWAYS more expensive than any other hotel and usually I can get some sort of package at a nice place. This time we're biting the bullet because it's my 40th!
You only live once!!!

When I made the reservation the girl asked me if we were traveling on business or for leisure!

I just want to know, what company out there will put someone up at a Four Seasons? I'm working at the wrong place I guess!

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 11:46 PM
Curmudgeon

Please don't call the hotel, or the street it's on, the "Four Seasons." Also, there are no "five star" hotels in France. They are assigned 1-4 stars, with a 4* luxury rating at the top.
The Ritz is the best hotel in Paris, bar none. The George V is very good, though.

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 03:31 AM
Mark

The Ritz is not worth the money. The people/staff are very arrogant and if you book the cheapest room ($ 500!!), you will get a small chamber under the roof! The newly renovated George V is by far the best best choice in town regarding rooms, facilities and service. No. 2 in Paris is the Meurice Hotel, a true palace near the tuilleries and Louvre, completely renovated, a marble dream! Check the website!

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 03:27 PM
Ben

Have to agree with Mark. In my humble opinion, the renovated George V is the top hotel in Paris and the Ritz is simply overrated, living on its past reputation.

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 05:40 PM
Robin

Curmudgeon,

yeah yeah yeah.....get over it will ya?

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 06:35 PM
wendy

Robin- To answer your question, the company that I work for has the Georges V on our approved list- among the other top hotels. If you can swing it, stay there. Email me, if I can answer any questions.

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 04:11 AM
Robin

Wendy,

We are staying at the Four Seasons George V! Can't wait!!! I told my husband that's what I'd really like for my 40th b-day so he said, "go for it".!

I'll report back after our trip. I totally agree with the comments about the Ritz which is why I didn't mention it in the original post. It's far too snooty for us.

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 04:41 AM
Angela

Robin, Gourmet magazine had a recent edition I think it was March 2001, dedicated to Paris. There is a very nice article which compares luxury hotels including special rooms or suites that you can request. Have a great birthday!

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 04:58 AM
Robin

Thanks Angela, I'll try to locate a back copy!

Robin

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 03:22 PM
Myra

Which Leading Hotel (or the George V)has the best view of the Eiffel Tower?
Is there one that clearly has the best location?

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 04:27 PM
Sherri Kardell

Dear Robin ; I will be turning 40 in Sept. and I will also be staying at the GeorgeV. You won't be disappointed. The Ritz ; in my opionion; is really tacky it needs a make over bad.
Happy Birthday!
Viva La France!
Sherri Kardell

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 07:21 AM
Jim P

The George V passed the ultimate test this spring, for us at least. The day after we checked in I went up to the Concierge desk to ask a favor without mentioning my name. It took him about 5 seconds but he responded "Of course Mr. Peterson.." And if service is not important to you; the rooms, flowers and restaurants are great!