Hilton Metropole/Holiday Inn Mayfair

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14th, 2004, 05:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking at a possible stay at one of these two hotels in Sept. 2004. Both seem to have their advantages/disadvantages. The Hilton Metropole is right across from the tube station, and the Holiday Inn Mayfair is has a tube station close by. The restaurant choices seem to be a bit better in Mayfair. Can anyone share any positive/negative experiences at either one of these hotels? Many thanks in advance!
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 05:20 PM

Hi, iowan15,

I stayed at the Hilton Metropole 2 years ago. (Normally, I'd stay in a boutique hotel, but we decided to use Hilton HHonors points). We stayed on the Gold Passport floor. Rooms were very spacious. A lounge was available for breakfast items in the morning (a good, varied spread of items) and horsd'oeuvres and drinks in the afternoon. The hotel had a nice indoor pool and gym.

The edgeware Road station was right across the hotel and was very convenient. The area was not great for restaurants, but one eat elsewhere before returning or could eat at the hotel. (We did walk to Notting Hill one night for a meal, about 25-30 minutes at a pretty good pace).

All in all, I thought the Hilton Metropole worked fine. I had not stayed in that area, so it was nice being able to walk to Regent's Park and Baker Street and explore those areas. Mayfair is more central for walking to a greater variety of central London sights (if you like to walk a lot).

I have stayed in Mayfair before on several occasions, but cannot place the Holiday Inn, so cannot help there.

Anyway, hope this is helpful.

Happy travels.

John H.
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 08:55 PM

We stayed at the Holidy Inn Mayfair and found it quite good. It's only a walk of a short block to the Green Park tube station, and there are indeed good restaurants in the area--not to mention Fortnum and Mason. From the area of the Holiday Inn you can walk to Berkeley Square and over to Green Park and the Mall. We found it very convenient.
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 12:41 AM

Have stayed at the Holiday Inn-Mayfair twice in the past several years; last time was November 2003. As has been mentioned, the Green Park tube station is literally right around the corner as is a Marks and Spencer. Easy walking distance to Jermyn Street, Piccadilly Circus, and Fortnum and Mason.

The rooms (ours had two double beds) are not large nor ar the bathrooms.

I would not, in any way, characterize this establishment as luxurious, but if you like being in this location, which I do, it can't be beat.

Breakfast buffet was fairly extensive.
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 03:33 AM

As I'm sure you all know, I'm a London resident, Mayfair to be more precise.

I'd never stay at the Metropole, I simply detest its location - noisey and unattractive!

I often walk past the Holiday Inn Mayfair on my way to The Ritz, indeed it is opposite this fine establishment. As for the rooms, I've never been inside, merely peered into the lobby. Neither establishment is luxurious, but for position, the Holiday Inn cannot be beaten!
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 03:55 AM

MK's right - and raises an interesting point.

To us, the Metropole has just about the worst location in central London. "Can you image anyone wanting to stay there?" Mrs F and I often remark as we drive past, our car a few inches away from the hotel's third floor.

Its redeeming features seem to be the range of good Lebanese restaurants nearby, the wide range of hookahs available in them (the spelling is correct, though maybe...), and the evening passeggiata of the neighbourhood's Arab population.

Yet commentators on the hotel obviously seem quite happy with its views over the M40. Clearly there's some kind of divide somewhere.
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 04:30 AM

Flanner, I'm with you. I work near the Metropole, and whilst I might use it for a quick glass of wine after work as respite from the relentless traffic outside, I've always pitied the poor souls who've booked it thinking that it's centrally located. True, it's not far from Marble Arch, Baker Street and the rest, but nice, smart neighbourhood it ain't.

It's also the biggest hotel in London, and as a consequence seems packed to bursting with business conferences and tour groups. I'd give it a very wide berth...
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 04:32 AM

PS, my parents stopped at the Holiday Inn Mayfair, and loved the hotel and location. I don't think there's any contest really.
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 06:36 AM

Between those 2, the HI Mayfair wins hands down. Both of these hotels are available on Priceline and have been won for $70-100/night! Yes, that's dollars. At those prices they're a bargain. I agree the Hilton Metropole is not very attractive on the outside but I think the services it offers are just fine. Bur unless the rates you're looking at are similar to what I mentioned, I'd advise you to consider using PL. Read biddingfortravel.com or betterbidding.com
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 06:58 AM

Look, I stayed at the HI mainly because I like the location and the price was right at the time.
I couldn't care less what is being sold in the stores next door nor do I give a whit that the Ritz just happens to be nearby.

Like it or not, this is STILL a Holiday Inn and keep that in mind when making your final decision.
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 04:48 PM

On the Holiday Inn Mayfair internet site I see that there is a good price using the Entertainment Book. Does anyone know if they mean the U.S. book or the U.K. book?
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 06:27 PM

We stayed at the HI Mayfair in April, and we were more than satisfied. We had a deluxe double room which was on the 6th floor facing Green Park. The room was spacious by London standards, and service was great. You cannot beat the area.
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 06:20 AM

Agree with the hate the Hilton location - its the pits. Hiltons nowadays in Europe are often nothing special at all, and I would not rate the Holiday Inn in Mayfair as particularly inferior to the Metropole - at least not sufficuent difference to make up for the Hilton's motorway location.
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 06:29 AM

But you know:

Textual analysis implies that the "Metropole's in the pits" crew all live in Britain. And the "but the facilities are OK" gang seem to be American.

Are Brits - or British residents - just more picky about next-to-a-motorway location and gigantism? Are they things Americans can't get excited about - just as we can't understand Americans' hangups about drinks needing to be at Arctic temperatures?
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 06:48 AM

I live in London, and am picky about the area where I'd live, and I apply the same logic to hotels in London. When I'm on holiday I try to follow the same mindset, however, not being familiar with the area it's often not so important.
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for your help! I very much appreciate all the helpful comments. One can get rather flustered with all the choices available and so, in the end, personal recommendations seem to be the way to go.

And I LIKE my (soft) drinks arctic cold! And my coffee scalding hot!

Again, thanks y'all!
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 12:41 AM

I stayed at the Hilton metropole a few years ago and liked it a lot. The tube was right across the street, and it was near Hyde Park. However, there were women in the tour group who did not feel comfortable in that neighborhood.
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 05:30 AM

Mayfair hands down! The Metropole looks like it's in a better location than it is. The Edgeware Road area is not very pleasant in my opinion.
Flanneruk- As an American in London I vote with the Brits on the location- yuck.
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 05:43 AM

Holiday Inn Mayfair has a great promotion "Europe for Less" right now. I reserved a family room for 73pounds/night