Day Trips from Costa del Sol

Jun 22nd, 2004, 02:38 PM
Original Poster

Day Trips from Costa del Sol

We are planning to rent a time share week in Costa del Sol in February. How's the weather that time of the year? We are not big on beaches and would like to use that as a home base and make day trips to Granada, Cordoba, Seville etc. Can anyone tell us if that is feasible. We probably would need to rent a car.
Jun 22nd, 2004, 07:25 PM

In February, the temperature should be average 40-50F, it would be quite pleasant for visitors from northern countries, but the water won't be warm enough for swimming.

Which part of Costa del Sol will you be based? Granada could be reached easier from the eastern part, Ronda from the western part. But I am afraid To Seville and Cordoba will be too far for easy day trips.
Jun 22nd, 2004, 07:57 PM
Original Poster

We are probably staying in Malaga. It seems easier to hit the motorways in different directiions from Malaga. We are more interested in seeing the sights. How far is Seville or Cordoba from Malaga?
Jun 23rd, 2004, 12:19 AM

Seville is just over 3 hours from Malaga. Probably too far to do in a day.

Cordoba is just over 2.5 hours

Granada is just under 2 hours, so is more do-able.

You could do a day trip to Ronda, Grazalema and Zahara de la Sierra.

You could also do a trip to Nerja and Frigiliana - although I haven't been to either place yet so I don't know if they're worth the trip!

You could also go to Gibraltar, although I wasn't too impressed with it when I was there.

You could also do a day trip to Tangiers, but, again, I wasn't overly enamoured by it!
Jun 23rd, 2004, 01:07 AM

I support Cailin's suggestions.

Ronda is an absolute must for its setting above a ravine, and for its bullring, one of the few in Spain i believe where the bulls are not slaughtered in the course of the bullfight, nor after.

Gibraltar has great historic interest, and the only monkeys on the European mainland reside there.

A ferry across to Africa and back from Algeciras is a tempting way to spend a day. You could go to the Spanish enclave of Ceuta if you were put off by stories of Tangiers.

If you are into mountain scenery then the Sierra Nevada above Motril is a must. Lots of snow in winter and plenty of skiing, as this area is well over the 2000 metre mark.

harzer
Jun 23rd, 2004, 04:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for sll the info. May be what we'll do is fly to Lisbon & spend a day there. Drive or take a train to Seville & spend a day or 2 there. Then travel to Malaga for the week & do these day trips to Cordoba, Granada, Rhonda, Gibraltar etc. Fly back from Malaga. Is it easy to take a train from Lisbon to Seville then to Malaga? We"ll definitely rent a car in Malaga. But if we rent in Lisbon & return in Malaga, there's extra drop off charge.
Jun 23rd, 2004, 05:52 AM

by the way, I am going to that area next month, and found that the cheapest car rental was www.carjet.com. I checked all the major rental agencies in the area. My parents have a villa out there and they rent a car every time they go and always find carjet to be cheapest. They've never had any problems with them either.