Sevilla or Malaga

Old Dec 10th, 2018, 10:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sevilla or Malaga

We would like to spend about two weeks in Spain next fall and are trying to decide on a location. We are sort of burned out on tours and would like to stay in a place and do some day trips. While older we are still pretty active. We enjoy walking, people watching, getting to know the culture of a place, museums, and food/wine. We have been to Seville as part of a tour and really liked our too short stay there. One of the day trips would be to Gibraltar. As others have mentions I checked Rome2rio and it looks like Malaga would be an easier trip but I'm not sure Malaga would be as enjoyable for a long stay. Any suggestions as to which might be better and other possible day trips from either. Thanks for any help you can offer.
Old Dec 10th, 2018, 12:23 PM

Seville hands down IMO but with two weeks I'd maybe base mainly in Seville but also in Malaga and do Granada and Gibraltar as a day trip from there and Malaga is a really nice old town - not just a beach resort. Seville has tons of easy day trips- Cordoba and its fantastic cathedral - Jerez de la Frontera for Sherry House tours and rehearsals on the famous Andalusian horses in the local arena - Sherry is a British corruption of Sherry and Brits dominated the industry as Brits loved it - especially they say little old ladies.

Cadiz is another neat day trip. And you can take buses to Ronda that go thru the iconic white villages.

If landing in Madrid the AVE trains blast you in about 2 hours to Seville. Be sure to book long-distance trains well in advance at Renfe for discounted fares that are limited in quanitity and may sell out weeks early. www.seat61.com has loads on doing that yourselves online - general info trains and where to go - BETS-European Rail Experts and www.ricksteves.com.
Old Dec 10th, 2018, 12:58 PM
twk

Originally Posted by JimKal View Post
We would like to spend about two weeks in Spain next fall and are trying to decide on a location. We are sort of burned out on tours and would like to stay in a place and do some day trips. While older we are still pretty active. We enjoy walking, people watching, getting to know the culture of a place, museums, and food/wine. We have been to Seville as part of a tour and really liked our too short stay there. One of the day trips would be to Gibraltar. As others have mentions I checked Rome2rio and it looks like Malaga would be an easier trip but I'm not sure Malaga would be as enjoyable for a long stay. Any suggestions as to which might be better and other possible day trips from either. Thanks for any help you can offer.
I take it that you are contemplating doing the day trip to Gibraltar by public transportation. If so, neither is going to be particularly easy from a time perspective. Have you considered renting a car for the day trip? Instead of a 4 hour bus ride from Seville, you'd have a 2 hour drive, and you could pick the more scenic route if you desire. Spain is an easy country to drive in, and picking up at the train station in Seville and getting out of from there is pretty straightforward.

If you are committed to doing it by public transportation, you might consider staying the night in Gibraltar (or, La Linea, for cheaper accomodations). We did Gibraltar as a day trip, by car, from Marbella (wanted to stay in a smaller town rather than Malaga).

We skipped over Malaga, so I guess that will tell you which one I prefer, but we really loved Seville. It's a much better destination in the fall than it would be in the summer time. I particularly loved the apartment we rented in Seville. I posted a trip report from our October trip, if you are interested (click on my name).
Old Dec 10th, 2018, 02:43 PM

I would choose Seville over Malaga for 2 weeks also. And as twk states, going to Seville in the fall is much better than going there in the summer. Much too hot during the summer!

If you haven't done so already, you should buy some guidebooks. Seville is a beautiful city architecturally, often referred to as the Queen of the South, There are lots of important sights, such as the Alcazar, Cathedral, Casa de Pilatos, Triana, Plaza de Espagna, Barrio Santa Cruz, and many other smaller sights you could visit at your leisure. You mention that you were in Seville as part of a tour, so I imagine it was a rushed and hectic visit. It will be even nicer when you can see the sights at a slower pace and just wander around this beautiful city.

With that said, we also liked Malaga. There is plenty to do there, and you have a nice coastal ambiance. I wouldn't choose Malaga over Seville, but if you don't mind spending the 2 weeks in 2 different locations, you could do as PalenQ suggests and spend a week in Seville and a week in Malaga. I think a few good guidebooks would help you decide.
Old Dec 10th, 2018, 04:05 PM
kja

I agree that a guidebook or two would be a good investment -- or you can consult them at your local library. You could use it to identify the day trips you might want to take, and then use rome2rio.com to determine whether Malaga or Sevilla would be a better base from which to reach those locations.

I haven't been to Malaga, and so perhaps shouldn't comment, but FWIW, I'm sure I would like it. I know that I loved Sevilla.
Old Dec 10th, 2018, 04:25 PM

I understand your desire to not move around too much, but with two weeks you really could do both and still not feel you are on a 'tour'. If you want to choose just one though I would definitely pick Seville. Loved Malaga as well but doesn't come close to Seville.

I did do a side trip to Gibraltar and enjoyed it. I spent two nights, on a 'boat B&B'. That was fun too.

Here's my trip report which includes Malaga and Gibraltar (and Ronda)- Southern Andalucia Photographic Trip Report - Malaga, Ronda and Gibraltar

Here' the one from Seville, Cordoba, and Granada - Isabel's spring break to Sevilla, Cordoba and Granada - photos and trip report

Photos - https://andiamo.zenfolio.com/f855477163
Old Dec 11th, 2018, 05:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info seat 61. It looks like that will be helpful. I do have a Rick Steves book on Spain from a few years ago and will revisit it as well.
Jim K
Old Dec 11th, 2018, 05:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. Spending the night in Gibraltar is a good suggestion. I could drive but when I've done it in the past I seem to miss the scenery as I focus on traffic. Maybe I could consider hiring a private car. Again, I appreciate your suggestions.
Jim K
Old Dec 11th, 2018, 08:44 AM

Buses go to Algerciras from Malaga I believe and there you walk into Gibrlatar - across the airport is as when I went - Spanish buses were not allowed in because of continuing border snafu in debate over who owns Gibraltar. Anyway I stayed also in B&B and loved it - kind of Britain and Spain mixed - would not spend more than a day and watch out for those miscjhevous tailless monkeys who will steal anything they can.
Old Dec 11th, 2018, 12:54 PM
twk

Originally Posted by PalenQ View Post
Buses go to Algerciras from Malaga I believe and there you walk into Gibrlatar - across the airport is as when I went - Spanish buses were not allowed in because of continuing border snafu in debate over who owns Gibraltar. Anyway I stayed also in B&B and loved it - kind of Britain and Spain mixed - would not spend more than a day and watch out for those miscjhevous tailless monkeys who will steal anything they can.
It's actually La Linea where you cross the border--I don't know if all the buses from Malaga to Algeciras (which is across Gibralatar Bay from Gibraltar and La LInea) stop in La Linea, but that's where you want to go. The Spaniards do not make it easy, and the best way is the park your car (or get off the bus) at La Linea, then walk across the border. Cutoms checks for cars take a lot of time, and there's pretty much nowhere to park in Gibraltar (but there are two handy garages about a quarter mile from the border in La Linea).
Old Dec 11th, 2018, 05:43 PM
kja

Originally Posted by JimKal View Post
I do have a Rick Steves book on Spain from a few years ago and will revisit it as well.
If your goal is to identify day trips from Sevilla and/or Malaga (and isabel's point that you could spend a week in each is, IMO, worth endorsing), then I would urge you to consult one of the more comprehensive guidebooks -- perhaps the Rough Guide or Lonely Planet.