Search

holiday inn bloomsbury

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 10:42 PM
bx3
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
holiday inn bloomsbury

i see that there are two entries already here re: this hotel, but they are a bit out of date. i would like to know specifically about the neighborhood; would one feel safe walking around in the evening? thanks in advance.
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 10:55 PM
bx3
Original Poster

i am basically trying to compare two hotels (and their neighborhoods as well, of course): the Holiday Inn Bloomsbury and the Morgan Hotel. anyone have any info. re: the two as a comparison? thanks in advance.
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 02:27 AM

I forget where the holiday inn is exactly (and you don't say where morgan is), but... in general, bloomsbury is a wonderful, wonderful neighborhood. I didn't even like London much until I wound up amidst those relatively quiet and elegant streets, yet about as central as you can get and full of appealing eateries, etc.
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 02:48 AM

I'm sorry but is the Holiday Inn you are referring to the one near Russell Square? I do know Bloomsbury is around there.

Anyways, if it is, I stayed there by myself ( I'm a female student) and felt VERY safe walking to and fro from the tube station (Russel Sq) which only took a minute.

The neighbourhood is also safe (I went exploring it by myself at 8am on a Sunday morning thanks to jet lag) and just round the corner from the British Museum. If anything, I preferred this Holiday Inn than the Holiday Inn Express in Old Street (not a fantastic neighbourhood!) even though the latter was a much newer hotel.
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 01:41 PM

Now I remember that Hol inn, an eyesore of maybe 70's urban renewal, near another apartment superblock even more a hideous eyesore (but with a very useful huge safeway grocery store built in). Otherwise attractive neighborhood.

The location isn't quite as good as the normal strip of Russell Sq hotels, but still fine. In fact it's next to a very useful strip of smaller shops and restaurants giving bargain services such as laundramats, internet cafes, and great buffet deals.

There are a lot of nice little pocket parks with little of the derilict/druggie problems you sometimes see elsewhere. The tube station is on the heathrow line for very convenient airport service, and is well served by the cute double decker bus. It's even central enough to walk everywhere but the most eastern or western extremes.