Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help with Trip to Portugal late March - Lisbon and where else?

Jan 30th, 2007, 06:05 PM
Original Poster

Hi,
I have been reading travel books and hanging out on this board trying to figure out how to plan the itinerary for an upcoming trip to Portugal and I am stuck. It looks like my husband and I will have 6 full days in Portugal (counting the day we arrive early in the morning from NY/NJ area but not counting our travel day home). We are planning to fly into and out of Lisbon. So, I figure two, or three days in Lisbon, then a day trip to Sintra. After that I am stuck. We are high energy travelers and pack a lot in each day, but we do like to kick back with a nice dinner and relaxing lunch including people watching. We are NOT beach people. So, should we head north to Obidos and maybe an overnight then in Coimbra and then head back to Lisbon and stay there the evening before our morning flight home? Or would it make sense to go to Evora for a night or two? I should add that we will not have a car but will be relying on public transportation. I would appreciate some itinerary help with this trip. Thanks in advance, Susan

Also, I am extremely disappointed that I will not be able to join in the Lisbon dining club adventures. From my reading of the postings on this board I realized that I will be traveling to Lisbon just as the group in Lisbon is traveling to NY!
Susan
Jan 31st, 2007, 08:17 AM

We're traveling to Lisbon for five days at the end of March, beginnning of April. This is our first time to Portugal and we're looking for this same information.
Jan 31st, 2007, 08:22 AM

I had the same amount of time a few years back. I spent 3 nights in Lisbon and then flew to Madeira Island for 3 nights. Loved it!
Jan 31st, 2007, 11:47 AM

My wife and I had a 5 day trip to Lisbon last year and created an itenerary based on many suggestions on this site (matt,lobo etc). Our 5 day itenerary went something like this, all on public transportation..
Day1 - Arrive, see St George's Castle and take short ferry ride to Christo Rei. Both for the views!
Day2 - Sintra and Cascais (From Sintra seeing Cabo De Roca, most westerly point in Europe is a must, then on to Cascais)
Day3 - Obidos
Day4 - Paid tour to see Arrabida, Sesimbra, Setubal (mainly for the wine tasting and to just be able to get chauffered)
Day5 - Belem,then relaxed!

We absolutely loved every part of this intenerary. All VERY picturesque! Sintra, Cabo De Roca, Obidos, and views from Christo Rei are a must!

Jan 31st, 2007, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

mmuel - Did you stay in Lisbon each night or did you stay overnight in any other places? We were considering staying overnight in Obidos so we can relax and enjoy ourselves there rather than have to travel back to Lisbon late at night. After a nice dinner we don't relish the idea of a 2 plus hour train or bus ride.
Feb 1st, 2007, 06:05 AM

for what it is worth, we are using are 6 full days in lisbon during early april(and then 4 in barcelona) by spending 3 nights in lisbon, then 2 in sintra, and anticipate taking a day trip from lisbon possibly to coimbra, and a day trip from sintra, possibly to obidos and/or alocabaca, and seeing the palace at queluz enroute on the train to or from sintra.
Feb 1st, 2007, 07:41 AM

We stayed in Lisbon the entire time and found that to be the most convenient considering how easy the public transportation was. For Obidos, just stop in one of the TI's (tourist info center) in Lisbon for bus scheudles to Obidos. We went to the TI, then hopped on a short submway ride to the bus station. The bus (which was comfortable and new) took us to Obidos. We felt the 1 day to experience the walls of Obidos was enough; especially considering our total trip time was only 5 days. Same thing for Sintra. In 1 day we did Sintra, Cabo de Roca (highly recommend this), then Cascais (just so so). How we did this, from Lisbon we took a train from EntreCampos (1.50E; 39 min ride; train left every 15min) Once there in Sintra after seeing the Nat’l Palace in town, take the #434 bus by buying the 8E “Rover ticket” up to Pena Palace. Then take the #403 bus to Cabo de Roca then on to Cascais; Train from Cascais station back to Lisbon. Very good day. Sintra and Cabo De Roca, (most westerly point in Europe and you can buy a certificate proving you were there)were great!
Feb 1st, 2007, 08:17 AM
BDM

The trip to Sintra shouldn't be missed. Train will take you right to the center of town. If you really visit everything it's the better part of the whole day.

We stayed in Estoril and traveled in and out of Lisbon and Cascais from there but I suspect you'll find plenty to do for your 6 days.