Portugal Intineray Help Please

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13th, 2003, 07:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it is Portugal for upcoming five day jaunt. Will land in Lisbon and am trying to figure out itinerary. Should we stay in Lisbon and do day trips to Sintra, etc? Stay a night or two in several places and what is the best way to get around, train, rent a car? Any hotel suggestions, restaurant suggestions etc. will be greatly appreciated as well. Have never been there and am planning this with little time to do a ton of research so looking for all kinds of help. Thanks in advance.

Old Oct 13th, 2003, 08:12 AM

With that short amount of time, I would stay in Lisbon. I would devote 2 or 3 days to Lisbon depending on your interests. I would spend one day in Sintra and one day on another day trip--again depending upon your interests.
Old Oct 13th, 2003, 09:20 AM

We were in Portugal for about 11 days, this past summer. We spent 4 nights in Estoril, 6 in the Algarve, and 1 in Lisbon.

In Estoril, the Palacio Hotel is very nice. It is reasonably close to Sintra and might make a nice option for a few nights.

However, using Lisbon as a base isn't so bad. The public transportation is fairly good and place like Sintra and Estoril are readily accessible.

In terms of renting a car, it can be helpful to have, even if for a day or two. The ride up the coast to Estoril is fairly scenic and not that far from Lisbon. However, I should caution that driving in Portugal can be frustrating. Road signs indicating direction are apparently considered to be an affront to mankind. As a result, having a good map is critical. Even then, it is extremely easy to get lost.

In terms of hotels in Lisbon, if you like luxury hotels, the Four Seasons Hotel Ritz was very extremely nice. Le Meredian is right next door, if that is more to your liking.

However, out friends stayed at the more moderately prices Lisboa Sheraton & Towers, and found it pleasant.

By chance you wanted to head towards the Mediterranean Coast for a couple of nights, the beaches around Albufeira are beautiful. By car, it's around 2 to 2.5 hours from Lisbon. We really liked the Sheraton Algarve.

Have fun.
Old Oct 13th, 2003, 09:21 AM

Yes, I can spell. I just can't type.
Old Oct 13th, 2003, 11:58 AM

Loved your description of the driving conditions, Ryan!

Personally, I would not want a car if based in Lisbon. However, another option would be to base in Sintra, Cascais or Estoril and use a car for that and other excursions and day trip into Lisbon by train.
Old Nov 10th, 2003, 07:22 PM

Does anyone have a recommendation of a place to stay in Sintra in December? Actually, it'll be Dec. 25th which unfortunately means things will be closed but.........that can't be helped! We'll just have to return at a future date!

I've read that Casa Miradouro is excellent. Any comments or additional suggestions?
Old Nov 12th, 2003, 04:21 AM

We stayed at Casa Miradouro this spring. We were happy with it.