Help with planning Itinerary

Feb 3rd, 2007, 05:40 PM
Original Poster

Help with planning Itinerary

My family of 6 (2 adults and 4 children ages 5,6,13,14) will be traveling from Switzerland in July by train to Vienna, Austria.

We will be in Europe for a total of 15 nights. We were planning 4-5 nights in the Paris area then to Switzerland for 6 nights and then we will need to eventually get to Austria to fly out of Vienna. We plan to stay in Austria 2-4 nights.

I am looking for suggestions on where to go, hotels to stay in and sights to see in the area. Should we stay in Vienna the whole time?

I have been looking at hotels and having trouble finding space for all 6 of use. At least inexpensive rooms. Most hotels are offering connecting rooms but that is ending up being quite expensive. I was hoping to sending $150-250 a night in US dollars.

THANK YOU!

Feb 4th, 2007, 05:21 AM
JN

With that large an entourage, and only 2-4 nights, you'd be wise to stay in one place. Never having looked for accommodations for six, I'm no help. Hopefully, others here are.

I would enquire of the tourism bureau of the city in which you decide to stay. They can be incredibly helpful. I recently contacted the bureau serving the middle Rhein, looking for rooms in what appeared to be a sold-out, peak festival weekend. Within 24 hours, they found me a nice room in a hotel that did not have an internet site.

Good luck. Do day trip to Salzburg if you decide to stay in Vienna and have at least four nights there. Salzburg is a beautiful city. Kids would like the funicular to the fortress overlooking the city.
Feb 4th, 2007, 05:34 AM

A day-trip to Salzburg from Vienna is not a good idea - it's more than a 6 hour drive.

I do suggest that you find time for Salzburg, and would recommend at least a 2 night stay so that you get a chance to see the city and not be rushed on your way to Vienna.

You are going to have to stop somewhere between Switzerland and Vienna, and Salzburg is your best option.

I think you will have a lot of difficulty finding accommodation for the 6 of you in anything less than an apartment, or rural B&B type unless you go with the 2 room hotel option.
Feb 4th, 2007, 05:58 AM

divindaze: Your budget is approx €115-€190. That is pretty low for six people. And even if you did find connecting triple rooms - there is no absolute guarantee that when you arrive - those are the rooms you get.

I'd definitely look into 2 bdrm (or large 1 bdrm) apartments. One trouble though - Many flats rent by the week. Some do rent by the night - but they also tend to be a bit more expensive per night.
Feb 4th, 2007, 06:33 AM

In Lauterbrunnen, near Interlaken - an excellent town for a stay in the Bernese Oberland, IMO - we found a Ferienwohnung that might work for you too - right in the middle of town across from the Hotel Staubbach, 85 CHF per night, as I recall, but that was 4 years ago. Very simple rooms but with a nice enclosed porch that looks out onto the main street. There were 2 bedrooms and beds for 4, but perhaps there's a couch-set-up or some other possible arrangement too.

Zurschmiede Rolf und Fränzi
Beim alten Schulhaus
3822 Lauterbrunnen BE
Phone 0041 33 855 32 70

No e-mail address that I know of, not listed with the tourist office. I'm not sure whether the couple speaks enough English for a phone call - snail mail if a call doesn't work? We rented for just 3 nights. Maybe this place would be worth the effort.

You could also try this place in Lauterbrunnen where I saw a lot of families staying - it's a little further out - they rent bungalows, camping trailers, and have facilities for kids:

www.camping-jungfrau.ch/willko_e.htm

The youth hostel in Brienz, near Interlaken with good train connections, is a nice one - right on the lake. There are two 6-bed rooms. Prices:

"Prices for members in dormitory from CHF 26.40 (breakfast and bed linen incl.)
Children 0-2 years : free of charge, Children from 2-6 years : 50%"

Go to www.sjh.ch and click on "English" at the top.

Good Luck!
Feb 4th, 2007, 06:34 AM

I see you have two threads going.

If you go to Salzburg, you might want to try the Salzburg hostel. It's well located, though a healthy walk from the train station. There are private family rooms here:

http://www.jfgh.at/salzburg-e.php

Hostels have changed a lot over the years - no longer the 20-bunk-per-room backpackers-only facilities they once were. Families and school groups on outings have become their primary clients in many countries, and things are much more hotel-like now, as a rule. We (family of 3) use them often, along with apartment and B&B lodgings, in our own travels. We just returned from a catle-hostel stay in Diez, Germany - what a marvelous place - and also spent 2 nights in the Mainz hostel. We had our castle nearly to ourselves. 4-bed Room w/ private bath was comfortable and spotless; breakfast buffet and dining hall were terrific, nice cafe/bar on site for evenings. Mainz' hostel - overlooking the Rhine - was great too. Most hostels have a lawn and/or play area of some kind for kids too. Kids have a chance to people-watch and mingle with others in a way they probably wouldn't at a hotel.

Without a HI (Hostelling International) membership, you will need to pay an extra 2-3 Euros per person for "Welcome stamps" - 6 of which constitute a one-year membership.

Anyway, hostels are generally a viable, comfortable option for families on a budget that you shouldn't be afraid to try.
Feb 4th, 2007, 09:58 AM

To really enjoy Vienna, and get a real feel for the city, you should stay at least 4 nights. For accomodation I suggest the apartments Augarten of the family Walkner:
http://members.chello.at/walkner/gallerie/
They can accomdate you easily. The apartments are wonderful and the prices are fantastic, especially for your large group. You will find Beatrix Walkner very helpful with your stay.
Feb 4th, 2007, 11:02 AM

Paying $150 per night for 6 people really isn;t very realistic given the pitiful state of the dollar versus the euro. Even most family rooms will not take 6. You might look at places with 2 rooms - one family room for you and the younger kids (since they often have cots rather than real beds forthe 3/4th people) and a separate room with actual beds for the bigger kids.

In any case I really think you need to up your budget - and contact hotels directly to see who has a family room available.
Feb 4th, 2007, 11:05 AM

Spend it all in Vienna. It is WONDERFUL.
Feb 5th, 2007, 03:36 AM
JN

A day trip from Vienna to salzburg indeed is not easy--but it is far better than breaking up two days (or even 4) in Vienna for a family of six and moving one extra time. Whichever place you choose, my advice would be for your family to stay in one city for the 2-4 nights.