Help with Itinerary

Search

Help with Itinerary

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2007, 02:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with Itinerary

I am planning a trip to Salzburg (3 nights), Vienna (2 nights), Budapest (3 nights) and Prague (3 nights). Just wondering if this itinerary is too packed. I would like to visit the major tourist attractions, but also have time to soak in the culture. I'm not one to rush, rush and see everything. I will be taking the train to each destination. Ideally, I would like to do a river cruise of the Danube to one of the cities, but not sure if I have the time.

Any help would really be appreciated!
Old May 4th, 2007, 02:33 PM

Sounds okay to me. I would book the river cruise now. I do not know if they do one way trips.
Old May 4th, 2007, 02:34 PM

Vienna has more major museums than any of the other cities listed and yet you plan to spend one and a half days there? Eliminate Salzburg and add those days to Vienna.
Old May 4th, 2007, 02:52 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Hi Britty,
Sorry, I disagree with the comment about dropping Salzburg. It's a beautiful town and small enough to walk and see a lot in a day or two. An alternative to omitting Salzburg would be switch the amount of time for Salzburg with Vienna... 3 nights Vienna, 2 nights Salzburg.

Paul
Old May 4th, 2007, 03:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice. I am using my airline miles and have to fly into Salzburg. I wanted start in Vienna originally. Since my flight is going to be very long (many stops) and I don't sleep well on planes, I figured I would need a good nap my first day in Salzburg...hence the three night stay.
Old May 4th, 2007, 03:10 PM

Vienna deserves much more time, especially if you want to soak in the culture. I would give Salzburg 1 night as it it small and easy to do in one day. You can do it by train from Vienna easily. If you added more time in Vienna by trimming a day from Budapest or Prague, you could train from Vienna to Melk and take the boat down the Danube to Krems. From Krems it is a short train ride back to Vienna. Vienna is a city that is not to be rushed; we have been many times, ranging from 1 week to 1 month and still find lots to see and do. So I say make it at least 4 in Vienna (or more) relax, take a nice outdoor table at Cafe Diglas on Wolzeille or Cafe Sperl and enjoy this wonderful city.
Old May 4th, 2007, 04:56 PM

Well - I think that's VERY rushed. IMHO you need at least 4 nights each for Prague and Budapest - more if you want a day trip. I would say the same for Vienna. 3 is OK for Salzburg - since you'll be recovering from jet lag - but if something has to be cut I would reduce it by a day.

(Don;t forget that 3 nights in Budapest, for example, is really only 2 full days - since you'll be traveling the day before and the day after.)
Old May 5th, 2007, 07:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! I have made some changes to my itinerary. 2 nights in Salzburg (I'm trusting you all on this), 4 nights in Vienna, 4 nights in Budapest, and 4 nights in Prague. Can't wait to go!
Old May 6th, 2007, 06:20 AM
ira

Hi B,

I think that your plan is quite doable.

I think that I would do Vienna 3 and Salzburg 2.

Enjoy your visit.

Old May 6th, 2007, 06:33 AM

It's very doable. I'd even squeeze in a day in Bratislava to avoid the long ride from Budapest to Prague. Bratislava is "shoppers paradise"!
Old May 6th, 2007, 07:08 AM

Well, I too, think this itinerary is QUITE rushed, you're traveling between different countries and cities within a country the latter (Salzburg-Vienna) that is some 180 miles apart, and then Budapest/Prague is a train trip of effectively a day's duration. Of all these places, I'd say (speaking from my own preferences) that Budapest and Prague deserve the most time, with Vienna less-I find there's a curious lack of energy in Vienna- it's a bit enervating, really. Budapest is really one of the most beautiful cities in Europe (particularly at night) when all their architectural monuments are lit up along the Danube-Fisherman's Bastion, Gellert, their Westminsterish Parliament buildings-very beautiful. And Prague is not only filled with beautiful sights and monuments, but there is a plethora of relatively inexpensive cultural activities to choose from, plus, it seems rather the opposite of Vienna; there is an almost palpable energy in this city that is very appealing.

So why not take a Danube cruise from Vienna to Budapest? It's imminently doable, the cruise takes less than a day. I've taken a shorter cruise between Vienna and Melk, and enjoyed it very much-there's lots to see along the way. This would give you one very enjoyable and relaxing break amidst your otherwise hectic schedule.
Old May 13th, 2007, 05:44 PM

2 nights is definitely fine in Salzburg - don't let anyone tell you otherwise. I think your itinerary is totally doable and not rushed - of course you could spend longer in some of those places, but 3 nights is a solid time to get a feel for places like Prague.