short trip report-week in vienna and salzburg

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2nd, 2010, 04:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

VIENNA- 3 days at hotel NH atterseehaus suites in mariahilferstrasse-large suites without breakfast at less than 100 euros,aircon,2 stops from main st westbanhof and a brisk 15 min walk to old vienna.my reco is for those on a budget stay in this area as acco is low cost ,nice cafes and you can get almost anywhere.we bought the vienna transit card at the airport counter as we were not doing serious sightseeing. once validated it is the most economical and troublefree way of going around the city.did schonbrunn palace,fine art musuem and the mozart concert at the staatopera.
SALZBURG-3 days at hotel garni trumer stube-great location,a bed and breakfast,quad room,no aircon so warm and noisy due to constuction,helpful family and at 160 euros for 4.salzburg acco is more expensive than vienna but if you stay on either side of the salzach river you can cover all sights by foot.did the sound of music sights on our own thanks to the tips by fellow fodorites.also did a great day trip to st gilgen and st wolfgang on bus 150 from the mirabell gardens stop at our own pace.enjoyed the relaxation.also the marionette show of sound of music was delightful.imp tip-students get the tickets for 18 euros(the lowest price) if u show ID proof and even if the adults buy the lower priced tics once the show starts all move in front to fill empty seats so you feel like a fool if u have bought the more expensive seats-so dont !locals push the sound of salzburg show which i did not go to but i thought the marionettes were different .
be prepared for warm weather and thunder showers in aug...hope sep cools off !
Old Sep 2nd, 2010, 01:20 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
glad you had a good time, kalpana.

we found that accommodation in vienna was more expensive than that in Salzburg; perhaps because we booked a very central hotel in Vienna in advance, and just walked in off the street in Salzburg?
Old Sep 2nd, 2010, 07:54 PM
Original Poster

where did u stay in salzburg?also our rate in vienna was much lower as we had prebooked whereas those walking in got charged 15 euros more !
Old Sep 2nd, 2010, 07:59 PM
Original Poster

transportation tip-if u are travelling with anybody below age 26buy the vorteil card at 20 euros and u get a 50% discount on intercity train travel on OBB.and if u travel together as a family/group u save more.good i did my homework cos the lady at the tic counter charged me 287 euros for 2 adults and 2 below 26 and it was actually only 187 euros as we were travelling together !
Old Sep 3rd, 2010, 11:36 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
kalpana,

i just posted about this on another site. we got a double room with shower/wc plus breakfast and free garage for €70 per night. it was at the top of the pedestrian precinct on the mirabell side of the town, and we arrived at about 4pm I think.

http://www.hofwirt.net/

not a perfect position but we are happy to walk, within reason. also they had free internet in the lobby and a happy hour every evening. we found Vienna much more expensive, and we had pre-booked. [i wouldn't ever try to travel on spec in a major capital city where the holiday is going to be ruined if you can't find somewhere]. we stayed at the hotel austria

http://www.hotelaustria-wien.at/

it was slightly expensive for what it was - €140 per night including breakfast - but it was ideally positioned, very quiet and clean, had a lift, great breakfasts, and lovely staff.