Spend 1 week in Vienna & Salzburg

Aug 18th, 2002, 05:54 AM
bhakti

Spend 1 week in Vienna & Salzburg

I, wife and 3 children want to spend 1 week in Vienna and Salzburg start next 1 December. Advise us how many days should spend up in Vienna and what nice places must be seen in both places without any tour. Also inform cheap and clean B&B less than US$ 100 per night.

Aug 18th, 2002, 08:01 AM
steve

Been a few years, but liked these two places.

Vienna - Hotel-Pension Zipser, Lange Gasse 49, Vienna A-1080

Salzburg - Romerwirt, Nontaler Hauptstr. 47

I wouild spent 4 days in Salzburg and 3 in Vienna. In Salzburg, see the Untersberg, old town, Sound of Music TOur, Salt Mines, Ice Caves, Hellbrunn Palace

Aug 18th, 2002, 08:01 AM
Rex

Austria is one of my favorite countries in Europe. The Alps are spectacular and the people are quite friendly. 3 days would be sufficient for Vienna and 2 days for Salzburg. Take time to spend a day or two in Innsbruck. At the train station, (this is how you should travel between destinations) ask the reservationist for the most SCENIC route (NOT THE QUICKEST) between Salzburg and Innsbruck..... YOU WILL BE AMAZED as the train climbs high into the alps, hugs the mountainside as you look down onto quite villages and aqua rivers and the train will cross over many via ducts that are suspended high in the air... This was one of my most memorable trips to Europe. In December, you should find good rates at ****Hotels. We stayed at the Hotel Sacher in Salzburg for round $150 per night. The had a balcony that overlooked the Salzach River and looked onto the Old City. WOW just recounting this trip makes me want to return !! Have fun........

Aug 18th, 2002, 10:29 AM
Linda

Try nethotels.com for info on hotels/pensions. My recommendation is for the Hotelpension Arenberg in Vienna as it is within the Ring, close to Stephensplatz, part of Best Western chain but with posh Vienna feel since it was a pension run by Frau Arenberg and actors, conductors and other artists stayed there. It is a 4*. A 3* is Hotel Drei Kronen which is near the university and a short walk to the Opera. Both were around $50 in December 2000 for 1 person.
I would spend more time in Vienna than Salzburg. Be sure to go to the Christmas market at the Rathaus and see the Advent Calendar in its windows. It has a huge ferris wheel (depnds on age of children and weather).

Aug 18th, 2002, 09:32 PM
Bhakti

Rex, I'll count your advise, what sightseeings are worth in Insburck? Linda, to get short walk around hotel for foods and window shopping in the evening which hotel area should we prefer in Vienna? How is about Continental Hotel?
Do anybody stay at Sallerhof Pension in Salzburg before?

Aug 18th, 2002, 09:37 PM
Art

I would go with 3 in Vienna and the rest in the Salzburg. From Salzburg take a day trip to Bertschgarten and possibly visit the saltmines. Your children should love the saltmines.
I spent my honeymoon in that area many years ago in January and it is a beautiful area. Also visit the Fortress in Salzburg, there is a neet midevel weapon museum in the Fortress.

Aug 19th, 2002, 08:18 AM
bettyk

I don't believe the salt mines are open in the winter. I know the one in Hallstatt closes the end of October and doesn't open again until April.

Aug 19th, 2002, 03:09 PM
Anne

We are staying at the Pension Pertschy in Vienna (120E night for twin, with breakfast) and at the Auerspberg in Salzburg (99/night with breakfast). I simply couldn't find anything in Vienna for less than 100 (that was available). From what I've read, the attraction in Innsbruck is the beautiful scenery, but not much else to do, unless you are planning to ski (in which case, you are in the right place). If I had more time, we would be spending more time in Salzburg, and be sure to spend a day in Hallstat. Oh well....next trip!!

Enjoy your trip!

Anne

Aug 19th, 2002, 05:48 PM
bettyk

We stay at the Hotel Admiral behind the Museum Quartier off Mariahilferstrasse 7th District). Close to the Ringastrasse and Ubahn, it is a nice hotel in a good location with reasonable rates. Check out their website. You may be able to find something in your price range.

http://www.admiral.co.at/index1.htm

Aug 19th, 2002, 07:38 PM
Linda

Vienna has districts which start in the center (inside the Ring). If you can get anywhere around the Ring, then there are plenty of places to shop and dine and the Ring is easy walking. Inside the Ring the hotels are more convenient and pricier. I will have to get my Vienna book but the 1 is within the Ring and, as the numbers go higher in the city code, the further from the center you are. The U-Bahn is very good if you have to stay further away. You can get 1-day or several day passes.

Aug 19th, 2002, 10:18 PM
bhakti

How should usually be weather and circumstances in around Vienna & Salzburg in early December? Is it possible to biking and strolling or it used to be rainy and windy? Tell me more please.

Aug 20th, 2002, 10:17 AM
Rebecka

Three days in Vienna enough time? You've got to be kidding! I spent about 5 days there and wish I had a couple of weeks. (Or maybe there are few classical music or history lovers here among this group) Anyway, here are a few of my must-sees:

The area around St. Stephans Dom, which includes the Graben shopping district, the Plague Column, Figaro House, the Hofburg Palace Complex, the Dorotheum (auction house), the Opera House, the Imperial Crypt where the Hapsburgs are buried, St. Peters Kirche (where I believe Mozart was married), countless cafes, restaurants, confectionaries and pastry shops also line these streets. One cafe I heard was good is Cafe Hawelka which I think is near the Dorotheum. I visited Demel's which was wonderful and very elegant.

And this is just one area of Vienna! there's also the Ringstrasse with its huge twin museums, and the parks. A trip to Sigmund Freud's home on the Berggasse was also fascinating, as were the composer museums, if a little less so.

I haven't even mentioned Schonbrunn Castle or the Belevedere! And you will probably want to attend at least one concert, too.

I never even made it to Salzburg, but next time ...

Have a great time!

Aug 20th, 2002, 08:41 PM
Linda

When I was in Vienna in early December, 2000, it was 50 degrees. Check wunderground.com for comparable dates other Decembers.