Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Visit Hallstatt from Berchtesgaden or Salzburg?

Oct 30th, 2008, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

We will have two days in Berchtesgaden and two days in Salzburg, and would like to make a daytrip to Hallstatt one of those days. From which town would it be easier? I was thinking from Bercht, only because I know there's going to be much more I'll want to do in Salzburg, but I would like Fodorites' opinions. Maybe it's more scenic or easier to get to from one town than the other?
Oct 30th, 2008, 09:00 AM
Original Poster

Also we are going to Vienna in between - so it goes Berchtesgaden, Vienna, then Salzburg. Perhaps a visit to Hallstatt would be better on the route to/from Vienna?

We will be there the first week of December.
Oct 30th, 2008, 09:19 AM

Yes en route - too far from Berchtesgaden or Salzburg really to enjoy a day trip - plus it's a place you would love to stay in - much more romantic than even the other two.
Oct 30th, 2008, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

So you would suggest doing it on the way to Vienna then.

I wish we could stay there but alas, not this trip. I'd love to get a small taste of it though.
Oct 30th, 2008, 09:30 AM

Berchtesgaden and Salzburg are so close to one another, it's puzzling that you'd sandwich Vienna between the two...
Oct 30th, 2008, 09:31 AM

Yes - are you going by train or car

If by train get off at Achtnang-Pucheim (sp?) - put your bags in a station locker and take the sideline train to Hallstatt - actually to a station across the lake from Hallstatt with small boats whisking you from the station to Hallstatt - the boat ride on this idyllic lake may be the highlight of your trip - with the snow-girdled peaks all around, etc.

It should add about two hours to your Salzburg-Vienna train trip
Oct 30th, 2008, 09:34 AM

Tuck - she's talking about sandwiching Hallstatt i think.

Hallstatt is a possible day trip from Salzburg but would take about three hours each way or so

but it could be a heck of a day trip:

Take train via A-Puchheim to Hallstatt and then train back to Bad Ischl (old royal spa town) and then postal buses via Lake Wolfgang - a beauty spot in itself back to Salzburg - going thru the 'Sound of Music Country'

Berchetsgaden to Hallstatt would just add an hour or so each way onto the day trip.
Oct 30th, 2008, 09:47 AM

Pal, Jen says, " so it goes Berchtesgaden, Vienna, then Salzburg."
Oct 30th, 2008, 10:07 AM

Yup indood it do - Q why not just go one way to Vienna - must be some compelling reason to do it that way - twice the travel - investigate the Austrian Railpass in that case - going both ways if desiring fully flexible travel IMO - but they may be going by car

consider the wondrous day trip from Salzburg via Lake Wolfgang - or just go to Lake Wolfgang - about an hour from Salzburg by postal bus to St Gilgen - take a boat ride (if running) on this idyllic lake - perhaps ride the steam train up the mountain behind St Wolfgang, etc. Much more manageable and just as interesting as Hallstatt in its own way.
Oct 30th, 2008, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

We are going by car and the reason for Vienna in between is because after Salzburg we are heading to Fussen (stop in Wattens along the way for the Swarovski factory) and we kind of "threw" Vienna in at the last minute, so it worked out that Salzburg got put after Vienna - otherwise we'd have been driving all the way from Vienna to Fussen.
Oct 30th, 2008, 10:36 AM

Hey Jen!

I'm not sure why everyone is saying that it takes 2-3 hours to get from Salzburg or B'gaden to Hallstatt. We have done a daytrip to Hallstatt from the B'gaden area, by car, twice and both times it took about an hour and a half. The bonus is that you are driving through some amazing scenery. We felt that we had adequate time to see Hallstatt on the daytrip.

However, given that you are traveling from Salzburg to Vienna I too would recommend visiting Hallstatt enroute because you have to head in that general direction to get to Hallstatt anyways. I would just plan on getting up early to spend as much time as you can in Hallstatt before leaving for Vienna.

Best wishes,
Tracy
Oct 30th, 2008, 10:43 AM

I should have said my times expected were for the train

and it's a lovely drive via Lake Wolfgang to Hallstatt - a car makes it a much easier day trip
Oct 30th, 2008, 10:57 AM

Thanks for the clarification PalenQ. I was confused and starting to doubt myself! I knew from previous correspondence with Jen that she was renting a car so I wasn't thinking about public transportation.

The Wolfgangsee is indeed gorgeous. We love visiting St. Wolfgang and St. Gilgen.

Tracy
Oct 30th, 2008, 12:25 PM
Original Poster

I am trying to do routing on ViaMichelin.com, from Vienna to Salzburg with a stop in Hallstatt. Can anyone tell me how to do directions with a stop in between? I can only seem to find point-to-point directions.
Oct 30th, 2008, 01:00 PM

Jen,

Click on "driving directions" at the top of the website. Then to the left a box pops up to put in your destination and arrival information. Under "destination" in blue it says "show stopovers". Click on that and put "Hallstatt" in for stopover A. That should allow you to get full directions.

Tracy
Oct 30th, 2008, 01:14 PM

Try www.mappy.com - it is very easy to put A to B via C and D into that site.
Oct 30th, 2008, 01:17 PM

Another easy to use mapping website is Google. You can easily add intermediate stops.

Just go to www.google.com, click on Maps, then Driving Directions.

Have spent many days in Hallstatt, but never in the winter. I know that many hotels are closed in the winter time but the photos I've seen in winter are beautiful.

Oct 30th, 2008, 01:53 PM

Hi jenblase, this is totally off the subject but if you are in Berchtesgaden or Salzburg in early December you may want to check this out.

Krampus and Perchten (Wild Spirit) Runs 2008
This is a unique tradition and well worth an inclusion to your visit to Salzburg. The Krampus' are evil spirits who in the lead-up to Christmas scold all the children who have been bad. On the other hand, the Perchten are there to rid your home of evil. Both are represented as colourful characters in a street-parade fashion which is loads of fun for both young and old.

NB: Exact dates for 2008 are not available yet but will be similar to the below.

End November 2008
Krampus Run featuring Lehener Krampusse in Ignaz-Harrer-Strasse, Lehen

End November 2008
Krampus Run featuring Alt-Gnigler Krampusse in Gnigl, Lehen

End November 2008
Krampus Run featuring the Oberndorfer Schöffleut Pass in the old city

End November 2008
Krampus Run featuring the Radecker Pass (Festspielhaus - Christkindlmarkt - Alter Markt - Getreidegasse)

Beginning December 2008
Krampus Run featuring the Grödig Krampusse in the old city (Siegmundstor - Getreidegasse),

Beginning December 2008
Barmstoana Perchten Run in Linzergasse

Two years ago we were in Berchtesgaden for this and it was great. The above was found on
http://www.austria.info/ and maybe similar info is on the website for city of Berchtesgaden.

We too will be in Germany 12.3-12.15 but will not be in this area this trip.

Enjoy
Susan
Oct 30th, 2008, 02:40 PM
ira

Hi J,

Hallstatt is about 1:30 hr SouthEast of Salzburg.

If you are going to spend any time in the town, you should plan on going about 6 hr out of your way to/from Vienna.

Are you sure that you want to do that?

Also, it might be difficult to navigate the roads in Dec.

What is your entire itinerary?

Oct 30th, 2008, 03:24 PM

>> it might be difficult to navigate the roads in Dec.

...and daylight hours at a minimum.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO