Reload this Page >

Salzburg/Vienna city centre-hotels

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 08:50 AM
Bob

It is time for my yearly trek to Europe. I have read the books, read the websites and looked through hotel booking sites, but like the past, I always post here and read the what the people who have been to the cities say. I am looking for cheaper hotel in the middle of it all in Vienna and Salzburg. I am a young 40 and want to be able to walk to resturants, cafes, pubs, bars. I also want to be near mass transit when possible. I do not need anything fancy but a safe, clean room that I can centralize my stay around. Someone on this board gave me the name of the Welcome Hotel in Paris a few years ago and that was perfect. (Just to give an idea of what I am looking for). I have never been given bad info about hotels from people here. No need to tell me to go buy a book or read other posts because I have done that. Thanks in advance and look forward to your info.

Old Oct 29th, 2002, 07:53 PM
Linda

You might try a search for more ideas as there are additional messages. My two favorites are: Hotel Drei Kronen--(3*, very good buffet breakfast, near the Ubahn and the University (visiting professors stay there), open air market across the street and a nice neighborhood grocery store in next block. It is maybe 8-10 minute walk to Opera and located just outside the Ring.) and Hotelpension Arenberg--(4*, part of Best Western but with posh Vienna feel, very good breakfast with homemade muslei, nice location, 2-minute walk to U-Bahn, 3-minute to Air Terminal where buses from airport arrive, and maybe 5 to Stephensplatz. It is within the Ring. It was a pension run by Frau Arenberg and there are pictures of conductors, actors, writers, etc., autographed for her on the walls.

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 04:36 PM
Jennifer

Bob,<BR>We stayed at the Hotel Austria New Year's weekend for about $100 US dollars. Our room was very clean, the staff couldn't have been nicer or more helpful, and it was within the ring. We walked everywhere and would stay there again.

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 07:33 PM
BillJ

&quot;...looking for cheaper hotel in the middle of it...&quot;<BR><BR>Don't know if this would fit your definition of cheaper, but the Konig von Ungarn, a stone's throw from Stephensdom Square in Vienna, fits all of your other requirements. I would recommend it most highly.

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 07:35 PM
Keith

Look for a good deal on a hotel and don't worry to much about the central location. Vienna has very good public transportation. <BR><BR>The public transportation is not as good in Salzburg, but then it is a much smaller community<BR><BR> Keith<BR><BR> Keith