Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where to stay? Dubrovnik? Lapad? Cavtat?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3rd, 2010, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in Dubrovnik for a few days and can't decide where to stay? We will be arriving by bus in the late afternoon on the first day. Spending the next day in Old Town and spending the next day on an Island (TBD). The next day we fly to Zagreb.

We are looking for something quiet, (not into bars, nightlife etc...) and don't want to stay any further north than Lapad (since our flight leaves at 6:20am).

I have found some nice places in Cavtat with great views. I have also found some great rooms in Old Town and 300 stairs above Old Town... any ideas what to do?

Since we haven't been there before we are seeking some advice. Thanks.
Old Sep 3rd, 2010, 10:38 AM

Old town--if you can handle the stairs up above the town, go for it. The views are worth the pain. My reasoning is that you are only there a short while and will spend most of your time in old town.
You can catch excursion boats from the old town harbour.
If you stay in the old town proper, stay on a side street for quiet.
Old Sep 3rd, 2010, 11:44 AM

Yes, there are fabulous views from above the Old Town, but I've found other places with great views much closer in.

One place I stayed was right behind the Minceta Tower. No view from the room, but there was a roof terrace from which you could see the cove by Lovrenic Fortress, over the Old Town and then looking south across to Lokrum and down the coast. Right now I can't recall the name of it but can look it up if you are interested. Now this place was either up like 200 steps from the Pile Gate, or much easier was to climb directly up from the Stradun and pass through the Buza Gate at the top of the Old Town. Then it was a gently sloping walk up to the apartment.

Last year I stayed in what I thought the best place and cheapest too! Renata's rooms in her house overlook the harbour and are literally just above the Walls - you can lean out of the window and talk to people walking the Walls just a few feet below you. Renata has 4 rooms to let, and links to them are at the bottom of this page...

http://www.dubrovnik-area.com/eng/de...ajID=RZ-A-0459

As you have a very early flight, I might be inclined to stay in Cavtat or Mlini the night before. Otherwise a good driver service whom I have sued several times and found to be very reliable is Nino, and you can email him at [email protected] He even will arrange for a trolley to carry any large bags through the Old Town!
Old Sep 3rd, 2010, 11:44 AM

Hello.

I stayed at the Hotel Lapad about a year ago. Very nice hotel. Short bus ride to the port / old city. Got a GREAT deal at the time. Modern, clean and good breakfast.

Ross
Old Sep 3rd, 2010, 11:47 AM

OOps, I meant to say I have USED several times the driving services of Nino! I have never 'sued' him as I mis-wrote above, I've never had the need to as he has always been fantastic and his phone number is still in my phone for when I next visit Dubrovnik! BTW he speaks excellent English.
Old Sep 3rd, 2010, 11:48 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi europe,

I'm biased in favour of Cavtat as we spent a week there on our honeymoon 32 [yes, that's right, you never would have guessed to look at me, would you?] years ago. i seem to remember getting the bus into Dubrovnik a couple of times, and to having a fabulous lobster supper there one night at a restaurant on the harbour.

if you stay there, have a glass of champers on me!