Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Dubrovnik: Lodging in or out of Old Town?

Old Oct 27th, 2005, 04:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, I have an AdventureCenter Dalmatian Coast 8-day gulet "sailing" trip coming up next June. After disembarking in Trogir, I plan to go to Dubrovnik for a mere 36 hours before heading stateside.
I feel I should look for lodging inside the walls of the Old Town - any thoughts? I'll probably look into private lodging as the Pucic (sp?) is too expensive.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts and advice,
Christine from Philly
Old Oct 29th, 2005, 05:43 PM

I stayed south of the Old Town at the Hotel Excelsior - the view along the coast south of the Old Town are amazing. I can still remeber having breakfast on my private terrace watching the sun rise on the OId Town. The hotel itself was okay to good - I thought a bit over priced but that view....wow. There are a couple hotels and boutique hotels/b&b's south of the Old Town which are a 5 to 10 minute walk into the Old Town. I can't comment on being in the Old Town.
Old Oct 30th, 2005, 06:53 AM

Sorry, can’t really help, since I’m in planning phase myself. But from what I read on this post, best bet is to stay in or close to the Old Town. It seems that there are very few hotels in the Old Town, so close by is the next best.

There are a few Croatia trip reports on this board, most of them covering Dubrovnik. Carta_Pisana, how difficult is to get form the bus station/ferry terminal to Excelsior, and I mean stairs and cobblestone streets. Generally, stairs don’t scare us, but the only concern I have is the wheeled piece of luggage we will have.
Thanks
Old Oct 30th, 2005, 06:58 AM

I just returned from a marvelous Dalmatian sailing trip that ended in Dubrovnik. Yes, staying within the wall is indeed delightful and I believe the Pucic Palace may be your only option. Never fear, you will not be disappointed. It is pricy, but you will never forget your night there. I would also consider the Hilton located just beyond the wall -- it looks new and might be just the answer. Safe travels! A former Pittsburger
Old Oct 30th, 2005, 09:16 AM

Consider the Villa Adriatica, which is just outside the Pile Gate. Much more reasonable than the Excelcior, and has wonderful views of the old town and old harbor from either your room or the large patio.

Type in Villa Adriatica in the search panel under Croatia for other opinions, or look at their web site: http://www.dubrovnik-online.com/villa_adriatica/

Have a wonderful time!

Old Oct 30th, 2005, 09:19 AM

Being inside the old walls is an experience, but the advantage of being outside is that the view of the old city is pretty spectacular. Given a choice, I'd take the view.

I hope you do a trip report for your sailing trip. It sounds wonderful.
Old Oct 31st, 2005, 04:03 AM

xyz99,
From the ferry docks I would recommend taking a cab - it's too long of a walk. Probably cost between $10 to $20 US. Have whichever hotel you're staying at arrange it if your concerned about unscrupulous taxi drivers. I found the drivers honest but the ride pricey. Can't comment on the bus terminal and distance - if it's next to the ferries (as in Split) then once again, take a cab.

I don't know if I would stay at the Excelsior now - for the price their charging the room should be fairly posh - they may have updated the rooms but I don't know. I would recommend having dinner at the Rustica Taverna at the Excelsior - picture perfect view of the Old Town - go early for sunset and good quality food.
Old Oct 31st, 2005, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

Since I'll be sailing for 8 full days/nights, I'm pretty sure I'll have seen some exquisite views and would like to focus on location, location, location. I travel frequently for business and often stay in 4-5* spots, but frankly won't spend $3/400 of my own money for one night (Pucic or Excelsior). I'd rather have a fab new bag that I can carry forever.
CP - thanks for your dinner reference @ Rustica Taverna at the Excelsior. That I can swing.
Kittyfeever - what was your trip like?
Thanks everyone...
Old Oct 31st, 2005, 07:12 AM
epi

We stayed at the Excelsior and the rooms have not been updated. However the view of the sea and the old town is incredible. I would definitely not stay there if you don't have a seaside view. The Hilton looks nice but it didn't appear to me that you would have views.
Also we ate twice at the Lokanda Peskarij on the old harbor, loved the food and the prices. It is outside dining mostly, with very fresh fish and shellfish.
Have a great time in Dubrovnik.
Old Nov 6th, 2005, 11:42 PM

We stayed in a lovely small apartment inside the city walls and just a small step from the Stradum. It's called Magical Apartment and they have a web site with all the information. You certainly get a better feel for the city staying within the walls, the only downside is having to carry your bags in but the Magical Apartment is not far from the Pile gate and only up one flight of steps!
Old Nov 7th, 2005, 03:25 AM

Hi Christine
That's a second for Magical Apartments.
We had a wonderful time in Dubrovnik last year September and loved being in the old town.Not many steps to the apartment was definitely a plus as many of the sobes are up umpteen steep steps. We ate out all the time but it was nice to be able to have a fridge for snacks and to make tea. What we particularly enjoyed was that, being in the old town, we didnt have too far to go at night after dinner or a concert. We spent a morning on the beach south of Dubrovnik....stunning views from there.
If Magical is booked, there is a website called www.dubrovnik-online.com. Lots of rooms and apartments advertised. We also found www.visit-croatia.co.uk to be excellent.
Have a great trip.
Linda
Old Nov 12th, 2005, 07:12 AM

I live as an expat in Dubrovnik, so maybe I can help.

Inside the Old Town, if you don't want to pay €400-500 a night at Pucic Palace, you can find a limited number of small apartments within the city walls. For that time of year, figure €75-150 per night, depending on size.

Outside the Old Town, you can find many more apartment/room options for probably 25-30% less than inside the walls. Plus, as mentioned, you will probably get a good view. I live on the hill just above the walls, with a great view, and I can get to Stradun in less than 5 minutes. This is a perfect location. It makes sense to stay outside the walls, within a 5-15 minute walk for maximum enjoyment of the Old Town.

There are a few hotels within this range (Argentina, Excelsior, Hilton) but they are top-end and pricey.

The other hotels in town are mostly on the Lapad or Babin Kuk peninsulas with sea views but absolutely no view of the Old Town as it is several kilometers away. So you're still gonna pay a lot and have to take a bus to the Old Town, which is pretty annoying.

One should stay close (walking distance) to the Old Town and/or have a view of it. So look for private accommodations near the city walls as your best value and option. You will likely have steps/hills to climb on the way back but hey, life could be worse, eh?

As for getting from the ferry port to accommodations near the Old Town, it's not walkable by anybody except the most intrepid traveler (45 minutes). Take a taxi for about $25 or, as I would now that I know my way around, a city bus (from the brand new bus station very close to the ferry docks) for $1.50. If you get the right one (#8), it will eventually stop in front of Excelsior after about 20-30 minutes.

Sretan put...