Search

Help! Casci or Il Bargello

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20th, 2007, 07:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! Casci or Il Bargello

Hello Fodorites,

My wife and I are firming up are visit to Florence for mid Oct. We've seen great reviews on both B&Bs here and now very confused and can't decide. Both establishments have availabilities and wondering where to stay. Casci is little bit more expensive but still in our budget. Your comments and past experiences is greatly appreciated.

Regards
Old Sep 21st, 2007, 09:02 AM
sac

Ottoman, I've stayed twice at the Hotel Casci and I think very, very highly of the hotel and especially, of its helpful staff.

My rooms (on one visit, a single and once, a double) have been extremely clean and comfortable, very new bathrooms, air conditioning and satellite TV that have worked perfectly, great breakfasts and free Internet in the lobby/bar.

The first time I stayed there, I was a bit taken aback when I checked in....I had heard so many great things that I had very high expectations. And on the surface, the hotel doesn't look especially fancy or modern -- it's almost more like visiting a favourite grandma's house! My single room was very small and I was, at first, disappointed. But once I settled in and had a more careful look around, I realized how very well maintained it is and how kind and helpful the staff are.

I haven't stayed at Il Bargello (although the Bargello museum is amazing!) but I'd strongly recommend the Hotel Casci!

Have a wonderful time in Florence, it's a great city and October should be a beautiful time of year to visit.

Sandra
Old Sep 21st, 2007, 10:36 AM
MKE

I also stayed at the Casci while in Florence. My experience was similar to sac's -- very clean room with modern shower, good breakfast, very helpful owners (helped me get a reservation to the Uffizi when I couldn't on my own). Reasonable rates, close to the Duomo and the train station. I would have no qualms about staying there again.
Old Sep 21st, 2007, 12:31 PM

I haven't stayed at either place. For what it's worth, I prefer the location of Il Bargello over Casci, but the Casci is a hotel with likely more services to offer a first-time visitor to Florence. Which is probably why its rate is slightly higher.
Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 06:18 AM

I haven't stayed at Il Bargello, but I've stayed at the Casci a few times and can recommend it. It's not flashy, but it's comfortable, spotless, and well-located, and the owners are extremely helpful. Have a great trip!
Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 09:54 AM

I stayed at the Casci last October & good friends are staying there next month based on our say so & we cannot wait to go back to Florence & stay there again. Like you, I used this site & several others(along w/some guidebooks) for our first trip to Italy & the most important consideration was our hotel as we were staying 7 nights in Florence-I found universally excellent reviews for Casci & it was everything we hoped for especially clean-it is not a typical American hotel but since you are in Italy, you should expect smaller & differently situated facilities. Please check other review & comments for Casci before you make up your mind(I have no opinion on your other choice as I do not know about it) but I believe that the Casci would be a sound choice. Good luck
P.S. Pierpaolo at the Casci is a good bartender
Old Sep 24th, 2007, 08:22 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all, you guys are the best.
Old Sep 24th, 2007, 08:30 AM
MaureenB

I recommend Relais Cavalcanti for a great location by the Ponte Vecchio and the Uffizi. It's very well-managed and relatively new. A small 'hotel' on one floor of an ancient building, owned by the same family for many, many years. One of the daughters recently decided to turn her inherited floor into the Relais, and did a beautiful job of decorating it.
>-

Old Sep 24th, 2007, 05:43 PM

My husband and I stayed at Il Bargello for six nights in March. We both loved the Il Bargello, and when we return to Florence that is where we will stay. The location is great. Gabriella, the owner, was outstanding. I can't say enough good things about Il Bargello. Check out TripAdvisor for more comments on this B&B.