Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Heidelberg / Mannheim: Sites and Hotel Suggs?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14th, 2003, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey all!<BR>Any suggs. on things to see and do in Heidelberg and Mannheim?<BR>Hotel suggs would be helpful too.<BR>Oh, and food too!<BR>Grazi, Danke, Gracias, Thx.
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 02:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Dear sixthlap:<BR><BR>Sorry I can't help with hotels, but Heidlberg is very charming. A big, red hulking castle overlooks the city, so try to take a tour. Also very interesting was the student jail, last used in 1914. You can see the graffiti from the student jail birds.<BR><BR>Have fun!
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 04:42 PM

We have stayed at the ZUR BACKMULDE in Heidelberg three times. Beautiful restaurant and rooms recently remodeled. Located an easy walk into the old town section of Heidelberg. Phone is 011 49 6221 53660 Fax is 011 49 6221 536660. Email is [email protected]. <BR><BR>Rooms were around $100 per night with breakfast in Dec 2001. I think they also have a website.<BR><BR>Great town to visit. Do the castle tour. Get your bottle of wine at the castle with your own label. Have fun.
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 11:15 PM

I have stayed at Hotel Baron which is right across the street from the river, It was quite some time ago but I remember the room being quite large. Heidleberg is awesome. I don't think there is alot to see in Mannheim. I know they have a nice downtown but it is very much a &quot;working&quot; city (sorry mannheimers!) there is cute small town near Heidelberg called (?) Ladenberg? Lendenberg? Something similar to one of those.
Old Feb 15th, 2003, 04:43 AM
JN

Second the nomination of Gasthaus Backmulde. It is difficult to find, but worth the effort if you're looking for reasonably priced, modest accommodations. Large rooms, great breakfast, quiet location. Staff didn't knock our socks off with warmth and charm, but then again, they weren't rude either.<BR><BR>Their restaurant, by the way, is also very good. Enjoy
Old Feb 16th, 2003, 03:39 AM

Hi, I grew up in a suburb of Heidelberg. I´m glad if I can be of assistance. <BR>So my suggestions for things to do would be of course a walking tour through the old city, the castle tour, a boat tour on the Neckar-river, enjoy the great view of Heidelberg from the mountain above the castle with the mountain cable car, or from the other side of the river from the `Philosophers´way´. <BR>Heidelberg has a pretty good tourist information site http://www.cvb-heidelberg.de/<BR><BR>Concerning hotels my recommendation is the `Hotel am Kornmarkt´. A small, family-owned hotel really close to the castle and one of the most inexpensive ones (some rooms feature a view of the castle) Phone 0049-6221-24325; fax 0049-6221-28218 (we stayed there for our wedding). <BR>Very nice with a special flair is also the Hotel heidelberger Kulturbrauerei http://www.heidelberger-kulturbrauerei.de/<BR>The best little brewery of Heidelberg is in the same building. <BR>Or if it does´n´t have to be directly in the oldest part of the city - walk up the pedestrian zone - the Hotel Denner http://www.denner-hotel.de/<BR>Where every room is decorated in its own very special way. <BR>Hope this helps a bit! Kascha
Old Feb 24th, 2003, 08:04 AM

I just spent a month (work related) staying in the town on Schwetzingen, about halfway between HD and MA
Old Feb 24th, 2003, 08:27 AM

I just spent a month in the area on business. I stayed in the town of Schwetzingen, about half way inbetween. There is a beautiful palace there as well as the Schlossgarten, the gardens which must be magnificent in the summer. You can buy a pass which is good for all three castles in the area: Schwetzingen, Mannheim, and of course Heidelberg. Schwetzingen has lots of bars and restaurants, they are all good (except the Mexican one!), but my favorite was the &quot;Lueckebrueckl&quot;, look for the Hotel am Theater. I stayed at the Hotel Adler Post next door to the palace. Small family owned, but very friendly. Rooms are small by American standards, 78 euros for a single including breakfast. <BR>http://www.adler-post.de/<BR>Schwetzingen has big culture festivals at the palace in May and September, hotels will be crowded then.<BR><BR>Other things to do in the area: the Weinstrasse (wine country) is about 30 minute drive to the west. Speyer (romanesque cathedral and imperial burial crypt of German emperors 11-13th century) about 20 min drive or #717 bus. In addition to the Neckar cruise, you can drive or take the train along the river to the towns of Neckarsteinach (old castle ruins that you can climb to), Hirschhorn (restored castle, by car only), and Eberbach, a real gem of a small town, pedestrian friendly. With a car you are within an hours drive of the Baden Baden, Worms, Lorsch, and Strassburg. I did not go into Mannheim itself. <BR><BR>Schoene Reise und Viel Glueck. <BR><BR><BR>
Old Feb 26th, 2003, 04:37 AM

Yes, <BR>the castle gardens in Schwetzingen are VERY nice. Historic garden architecture, little bath-house, statues, peacocks. And nice coffeehouses nearby.