Heidelberg and Rothenburg Hotel??

Sep 3rd, 2003, 06:43 PM
Original Poster

Heidelberg and Rothenburg Hotel??

I will be spending one night in Heidelberg and two in Rothenberg at the end of October. But I am having trouble picking out a hotel to stay in. Anyone know of a good place to stay in either city that is not above 120 EUR? I found a hotel that looks nice in one of my guide books, Parkhotel Atlantic, but it is on the outskirts of the city, near the castle, and I'm not sure if that would be ok. We will have a car so it might. I'd appreciate any help. Thanks!
Sep 3rd, 2003, 06:45 PM
Original Poster

PS... the Parkhotel is in Heidelberg.
Sep 3rd, 2003, 06:56 PM

Also the castle in Heidelberg is in the center of town not on the outskirts.
Sep 3rd, 2003, 08:32 PM

rothenburg has tons of hotels...we stay in a gasthof just outside the wall and they have free parking..it is the klingentor gasthof...paying 65 E double in november...simple but nice with a good restaurant....we have stayed there many times...very clean and comfortable...some english spoken
Sep 3rd, 2003, 11:36 PM

A few years back, we stayed at the Hotel-Garni Hornberg, just outside the walls and adjacent to one of the parking lots. We _really_ liked this hotel; the staff was wonderful, the breakfast good, and the room was great. We had a very nice private bath, though it was separate from the room. They also have a nice garden to relax or have a drink in. You can check it out at http://www.hotelhornburg.rothenburg....ish/index.html.

I also found a website about the Parkhotel Atlantic in Heidelberg (http://www.parkhotel-atlantic.de/; click on "Unser Hotel"). This look like a very nice place, but is on the far side of the castle from town. It's not too far a walk, but the castle is up a significant hill. (I think 300 steps; there is a funicular, but I have no idea how late/early it runs.) As another suggestion, my wife and I stayed at the Hotel Backmulde last May and enjoyed it. The rooms were clean and comfortable, the breakfast was good, the staff was friendly, they had some parking at the hotel, and they're in the heart of the Altstadt. (We came by train, so we didn't use it and I don't know if it's free and/or if you have to reserve.) I couldn't find a website, but if you do a Goolgle search, several links come up with address/phone.

Enjoy your trip,
Paul
Sep 4th, 2003, 01:04 AM

Hi staceyc,

I come back to Heidelberg with my husband on a regular basis because that's where i grew up.
We normally stay in the Hotel am Kornmarkt. It's a picturesque old house right in the old part of town, beneath the castle. Doublerooms including breakfast and taxes start at 79 Euro going up to 135 Euro. Very close to the funicular going up tp the castle; on the other side is the town hall and the Heiliggeist church and the Old bridge only 3 minutes walk away. Drawback is, they don't have a wwwsite. But mail: [email protected] Phone: 0049-6221-905830 Fax: 0049-6221-28218 And if you mail me [email protected], I can send you some photos.

The other recommendation is the Kulturbrauerei. A brewerie (real good beer and a great atmosphere) with a nice hotel. in the Altstadt in a narrow cobblestoned street going up from the Neckar river. They do have a homepage:
http://www.heidelberger-kulturbrauerei.de/
Rates for doublerooms are 116 - 135 Euro.
Sep 4th, 2003, 02:47 AM

In Heidelberg, I like the Hollander Hof. Good location and reasonably priced.
Sep 4th, 2003, 03:46 AM

Hi Stacey, I'm actually Stacey, also... Anyway - the Best Western Alt Heidelberg is very good. They have on-street parking for a small fee. I've been able to stay there in the summer (in a double) for about 110 Euro, cheaper in the off-season. It's walking distance to the Alt Stadt. They have a decent breakfast. There's a restaurant in the hotel, but I've never eaten there - always smells good! It's in old building on a corner. The rooms are spotless and pretty good sized.

I don't know what the rates are now, but another great little hotel is the Goldener Falke. It's right down town and there's a parking garage right near it that's really easy to get to. Very pretty.
Sep 4th, 2003, 03:52 AM

Me again,

I just took a look at the Atlantic Hotel. Seems to be a nice place - but with only one night in Heidelberg I'd actually suggest you look for a hotel in the Altstadt. That way you can take an evening walk across the old bridge and can simply walk back to your hotel after having dinner and some beer ;-)

The Hollaender Hof is a bit more expensive than your budget www.hollaender-hof.de and at the other end of the pedestrian zone; very nice hotel though.

The tourist information for heidelberg www.cvb-heidelberg.de offers internet hotel bookings also and hotels that came up there in your price range in the Altstadt are the Hotel Perkeo, Hotel Schoenberger Hof and Hotel Goldene Rose.
Sep 4th, 2003, 05:29 AM

Stacey, we always stay at the Roter Hahn Hotel in Rothenburg. It is a nice little hotel just a block from the Town Square with very reasonable prices and a friendly staff. Check out their website:

http://www.roterhahn.com/english/homeeng2.htm
Sep 5th, 2003, 11:01 AM

Heidelberg: We usually stay at the BACKMULDE, as mentioned by another poster. It has nice rooms, good breakfast and walking distance to the old town area, church and castle cable car. You would be happy with this place.

Rothenburg: We enjoy two places here, both in the walls and in the center of town. REICHS KUCHENMEISTER is located adjacent to St Jacobs church and 3 minute walk to center of the town square and Rathhaus. Ask for a room in the old, original building. Also has a very nice restaurant.

Other choice is MARKUSTURM. Also close to center and so scenic it is pictured on many etchings of the town. Even used on the cover of many tour books on Germany. Not overly expensive and rooms have been remodeled to be very nice.

All of these may be a little above you 120e limit, but are nice places to stay and convenient location that avoids having to use your car to get to the center of town. You can walk.
Sep 5th, 2003, 11:06 AM

Stacey- try the Bayerisher Hof in Rothenburg... can be reached at <[email protected]
bayerischerhof> My wife and I stayed there and were very pleased.
Sep 6th, 2003, 03:49 PM

I agree with the above post. My family and I have stayed at the Hotel Bayerischer Hof 4 times over the last 2 years and its always been great. The price is good and the food is great.
Have fun
Bill
Sep 7th, 2003, 05:02 PM

stacey,

In Rothenburg I trust you'd enjoy the within-the-walls-located Hotel Gerberhaus.

The Gerberhaus is located a short and most pleasant walk from the city hall (rathaus), and it's moderately priced. In addition, it features a fine breakfast buffet, friendly service, and the added benefit of a second-floor outdoor garden cafe (a nice touch). Use of the internet/e-mail is also available on the premises.

Our room this summer was tidy, yet rather small. A minor drawback was the room's small, outdated TV. (But when you're in R'burg, TV isn't high on the to-do list) Moreover, given the summer's heat wave, we could've used an effective fan. Unfortunately, our room's fan was a bit of a clunker. Plus, parking at the Gerberhaus wasn't the most convenient.

Despite these drawbacks, however, I'd give the Gerberhaus a thumbs-up.

For further information, see www.gerberhaus.rothenburg.de

Best of luck.
Sep 7th, 2003, 05:50 PM

I'd just like to add my kudos for the Garni Hornburg in Rothenburg. It just couldn't get any better: Wonderful hosts, beautiful hotel, amazingly affordable.
Sep 7th, 2003, 06:03 PM

In Rothenberg we stayed at Hotel Markusturm. Typical Romantik Group Hotel, very clean, well run by owner and his wife, great location. I don't remenber the rate but I know they were very reasonable. www.markustrum.de Check it out.
Sep 7th, 2003, 06:46 PM

I think the bottom line to this question re Heidelberg and Rothenberg, is that like other towns in Germany, there are many right answers. Almost without exception, everything is clean, safe, and friendly. Don't sweat it. If flowers in your room makes or breaks your trip, you are on your own!
Sep 8th, 2003, 05:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the help! I booked a hotel for both cities. So I'll just have wait and see for myself. I'm sure they'll be nice.