Do You Love Heidelberg??

Dec 8th, 2007, 05:51 AM
Original Poster

Do You Love Heidelberg??

I'll be visiting Maastricht, Netherlands in april. I am considering an overnight to Heidelberg? I hear it is a beautiful place and well worth visiting. I like scenic areas, art, history & castles, museums, parks/nature, music, beer and more beer, good food, boat excursions, etc.
Dec 8th, 2007, 07:00 AM

I think Heidelberg's great!
It's definitely a youthful college town, so you'll find plenty of action in the bars. Don't just do a day trip- spend the night at the Hollander Hof Hotel and get one of the front rooms overlooking the river & Alte Bridge.
Go up to the castle, perhaps even at sunset and stay until it's dark. Walk across the bridge and take the Philosophers Walk on the other side of the river for some great views looking back down on Heidelberg.
Do it!
Dec 8th, 2007, 03:40 PM

Heidelberg is a beautiful city, but it's become extremely touristy. I do think April would be a less touristy time, though. The castle is stunning, and it's very walkable.

I second the nomination of Holländer Hof. It's a nice hotel with an excellent location. When I first visited Heidelberg (way back in the dawn of pre-history), I took a tour of the city that was fun. It told about the student jail as well as the history of the city and the castle.

Dec 8th, 2007, 03:54 PM

While stationed in Germany, I and my family had numerous opportunities to visit Heidelberg. We always enjoyed it. As mentioned before, it is a college town and therefore has a life of its own in addition to the tourist industry.

It reminded me a bit of my favorite town in Germany, Würzburg, which also has a university and a castle on a hill overlooking its river.

Regards, Gary
Dec 8th, 2007, 08:50 PM

a third vote for the Hollander Hof. We stayed there 3 night a few years ago and enjoyed it. Altho - we skipped their breakfast as it was pricey and chose to hit a nearby Starbucks every morning.

Heidelberg is lovely - great atmosphere, cool castle, good shopping.....we loved it. Of course, we were there just before Xmas and got to enjoy all the Christmas markets and the gluwein!!!!

My boys (teenagers) still talk about the time we spent there and want to go back.
Dec 10th, 2007, 09:19 AM
kja

I definitely loved Heidelberg! Hope you do, too.
Dec 15th, 2007, 02:35 AM
Original Poster

thanks all for your responses. i think my wife and i will do an overnight there!!!!