French train...help please!

Dec 1st, 2007, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

French train...help please!

I am trying to find a train timetable from CDG. We are traveling to the town of Venarey Les Laumes to pick up a canal boat. I've tried RailEurope and Eurail, but cannot find any info! I know there's a choo choo there, it follows tha canal!
Dec 1st, 2007, 08:57 AM

You are looking in the wrong place, but I'm tired tonight, so I'll let someone else tell you about things like www.voyages-sncf.com and exactly what information to enter.
Dec 1st, 2007, 09:04 AM

Hi Linda, Kerouac is right about the sncf website.
I know there is late train (7.pm something) from CDG to Dijon. Venarey is 66km from Dijon.
Hope this helps.
Dec 1st, 2007, 09:18 AM

try "les laumes alesia" as destination instead of "venarey les laumes" (maybe someone from that area can say if this is the station in question)
Dec 1st, 2007, 09:19 AM

From the town website:
" A 1h05 de Paris par TGV (arrêt Montbard à 14 kms)".

So if you go into sncf and plug in Roissy (i.e CDG) as origin and Montbard as destination, you will get all the trains.

BTW: on SNCF I found that for the day I plugged in (next Tuesday) there was only 1 (evg) train from CDG that stopped at Montbard, whereas 3 from central Paris stopped there: 2 from Gare de Lyon, 1 from Bercy.
Dec 1st, 2007, 09:21 AM
Original Poster

so far, I've found a TGv from Gare de Lyon to Montbard, which is 14 k from Venarey. Either there is a regional train or bus or something...

I am not having luck at all. From CDG airport to the Gare de Lyon....there are 3 options!
Dec 1st, 2007, 09:52 AM

From CDG take the RER B to Gare du Nord. Transfer to the RER D and take it to Gare de Lyon. Cost: €8.20.

Depending upon the time of day, you can take either a TGV or a regional train to Montbard. On regional trains Les Laumes-Alesia is one stop from Montbard.

For detailed timetables, see www.bahn.de. After you get summary timetables for either Paris to Montbard or Paris to Les Laumes-Alesia, click on "Details for all" to see the connecting points. Then if you wish even more detail, click on "Show intermediate stops."
Dec 1st, 2007, 09:55 AM

There are very few trains from the airport to anywhere, so you can't expect to find a train from the airport to anywhere you want to go. There are limited routes.

You don't need to take a big train from the airport into Paris to Gare de Lyon--in fact, I don't think you can. I imagine whatever you find will just be the RER train, which is suburban light rail, and a combination with another RER line or the metro, as that rail line doesn't go directly to Gare de Lyon from the airport. There are several variations of ways you could do that, of course (where you transfer, whether to another RER line or a metro line, etc.).

You could also take the Air France bus, which wouldn't be mentioned on SNCF, as it goes from CDG to Gare de Lyon.

If the city's website said the closest stations was Montbard, I'm sure it is. There won't be another train between there and Veneray or it would have said so. 14 km isn't that far away, you could easily take a taxi from there and it wouldn't cost that much.
Dec 1st, 2007, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much fellow Fodorites! I now have the schedule and info I need! I could have sat here all day googling...LOL! Is it necessary to make reservations on the TGV from Gare de Lyon to Montbard? I always worry about delays, etc. Seems to happen every time we flty to Europe.
Dec 1st, 2007, 11:43 AM

TGV seats require reservations.
Dec 1st, 2007, 12:18 PM

Air France bus #4 from CDG to Gare de Lyon costs €14, but you don't hve to schlepp your luggage like you would if you take the RER B & RER D route. In either case, travel time from CDG to Gare de Lyon would be about one hour ( a little faster using the RER).