Train Pain=Paris to Dijon

May 6th, 2008, 03:17 AM
Original Poster

Train Pain=Paris to Dijon

Everything is done and we leave Saturday for Paris. After 6 days
in Paris, we will be going to Dijon, rent a car and see the sights as we travel back toward Paris. I am trying to have a two choice option ready to get to Dijon by train.
Because I am not at all familiar with train travel, I find that trying to figure out these two options is daunting. It will be a last minute decision as to whether we travel to Dijon from CDG or from 7e. This is because one of our travel companions cannot go to Dijon with us but we don't know whether we will be going with her to CDG. I need practical info.
Anyone know what either option costs? I need the "How to, How much" information. We are returning the rental car in Fontainebleau so train back will not be a problem. I assume there are plenty of early AM trains from there to CDG. Any help is appreciated.

I have put this 14 day trip together without problem and I feel rather foolish to have to ask about something that must be quite simple.
Anyone here care to help?
May 6th, 2008, 05:28 AM
ira

Hi yy,

Train schedules and prices are at www.voyages-sncf.com.

May 6th, 2008, 07:07 AM

I am not sure I understand why you aren't returning the rental car to CDG.
May 6th, 2008, 07:12 AM

The only direct TGV from CDG to Dijon departs at 19:41. At any other time of the day you'll need to depart from Gare de Lyon in Paris.

Depending upon the time of day (peak or off-peak), the standard 2nd class fare for Paris-Dijon TGV service is either 53.10€ or 43.40€. The fare for a regional train (one hour longer ride) is 36.60€.

The first train from Fontainebleau to Gare de Lyon departs before 06:00. Take the RER D from Gare de Lyon to Gare du Nord. Transfer to the RER B and take it to CDG. Be aware that the RER B line divides northeast of Paris. Be sure to get on a train that is going to CDG.
May 6th, 2008, 06:49 PM

Here is a link to a guide to using French trains here on fodors:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34752919

There have been lots of questions about getting to and from Dijon so try searching on Dijon and see what you come up with.
May 6th, 2008, 08:10 PM

In re-reading my last comment, I am sorry if I sounded...mean...I meant it in a helpful way - offering a suggestion as to how you might find the answer to your question.
May 7th, 2008, 03:15 AM
Original Poster

Rhonda, I just --as you said in your post---want to get from Paris to Dijon---as reasonably and logically as possible. Since I will not know until the 17th which route I will be taking, I was hoping someone had done this same trip and searched both options. I find the site to which you referred me to be daunting or maybe I'm just tired. I've been there before and the "English" translation (flag) won't work and my French is not good enough to translate most of it. This AM was the second time that has happened. I have gotten to the point that I just want to be done with the planning. Please don't think I'm lazy but I have done everything else and have been to Europe many times. The only trains I have used are the locals. Just stand there and hop the next one. Wish it was that simple for this jaunt. Thanks to all for your suggestions--and we may leave the car at CDG after all. AutoEurope said there would be no penalty but I have to decide by tonight and let them know.
May 7th, 2008, 04:55 PM

I know there are plenty of people out there who can help you so I would suggest you start a new post and be a little more descriptive in your title (CDG to Dijon by train - help please) and more clear on your departure points and times.

In the meantime, try:
http://www.bahn.de/international/view/en/index.shtml

This is a German site with all train schedules. Select English and it is much easier to use.

I plugged in your date and a time of 12 p.m. so see if you can pull up this schedule:

http://tinyurl.com/64oddk

If you are leaving on another time or date, hit change by the date and time and change them.

May 7th, 2008, 04:58 PM

PS I'm no expert and I haven't done this in awhile.