Frankfurt-Hahn and Oslo Torp?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19th, 2003, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Many thanks to those of you who answered my last query.

I've done some investigating, and it seems that Ryanair flies from Frankfurt to Oslo, but the airports are some distance from the main metropolitan areas. If anyone has had experience with these airports, how difficult are they to get to from the cities? We'll have a car rental in Germany, so I don't think it will be much of a problem getting to Hahn. I'm more concerned with Torp, as our main destination is not Oslo but Trondheim.

We had assumed that we would take the train from Oslo to Trondheim, as it is extremely expensive to fly to Trondheim. My question is, how difficult is it to get from Torp to the Oslo rail station, where we'd catch our train to Trondheim? Or, does Torp have its own rail service that might connect with Trondheim? Any information would be much appreciated!
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 07:38 AM

If Torp is the main Oslo airport, it's a piece of cake. Board a train in the main terminal and get off in aobut 30 minutes in the S [main] Oslo station/ From there it's easy to go anywhere. I did Trondheim to Oslo by train. Nice easy ride.
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 07:53 AM

Torp is the further out airport about 80 km from Oslo. You just take an express bus there, or you can take a train and taxi. Either way is easy, and the cost is relatively minor, especially compared to a full-fare plane ticket!
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 07:54 AM

Torp airport is near the town Sandefjord, 75 miles southwest of Oslo. There is a bus to Oslo for Ryanair passengers. Go to www.ryanair.com, click on Destinations.

Oslo main airport Gardermoen is 30 miles northeast of Oslo. The trains from Oslo to Trondheim stop there.
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 07:58 AM

There are flights from Torp to Trondheim. www.torp.no
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 08:41 AM

Go to http://www.wideroe.no/english/index.html for flights from Torp to Trondheim.

Timetable for trains on http://www.nsb.no/internet/en/index.jhtml. Type in Sandefjord or Oslo to Trondheim. Click on continue to get the fare.
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 09:27 AM

I wasn't clear earlier about taking the train and taxi from Oslo to Torp Airport. I wasn't happy with the express bus (which leaves from Oslo Central Station, I think), because I thought it did not arrive at the airport early enough.

In fact, I had read an article about the bus having been stuck in traffic and numerous passengers therefore missing their flights. So we decided to take the train from Oslo Central Station (Oslo S) to Sandefjord. We then took a taxi from Sandefjord to Torp airport. It was a 15-minute ride, and cost 160 NOK ($21 US). I don't remember the train price, but it was not that much. The bus is cheapest, but I thought it was well worth the extra money to be early.
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 09:29 AM

And now I see you are asking about going the other way - from Torp Airport to Oslo. In that case, the express bus will serve just fine, and it will drop you off at Oslo S, where you can catch your train.
Old Aug 26th, 2003, 08:03 AM

not sure where Trondheim is, but we did the F Hahn to Oslo Torp in June. Hahn is about an hour from Ffurt-Main, mostly autobahn.
Torp is a 2 HOUR bus ride from downtown Oslo. Ryan has a deal with some bus company, for a decent price....not bad, but we weren't expecting such a long ride. It takes you right into the bus terminal in Oslo, which is a short quick walk from the main train station...a block or so.
You also catch the bus back to Torp at the main BUS station on the day you fly home.
Remember to get a fix on where you parked at Hahn. Easy to lose track of your car if you don't remember good landmarks.
Email if you have questions.
EK