Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How strict are British Airways and Lufthansa on intra-European baggage limits

Aug 25th, 2003, 04:19 PM
Original Poster

After reading another thread on this board, I decided to check the carry-on limits for these two carriers for intra-European flights. BA only allows 6 kg and Lufthansa allows 8 kgs. Both limit dimensions to 22x16x8. My question is, in practice how strictly do they enforce these limitations, both weight and size? Specifically I am flying from LHR to VIE, NUE to DUS, then DUS to LHR, and none of the flights are connections to transaltlantic flights if that matters. Can 2 people traveling together share the weight limitation, i.e. 2 people with only one carry-on weighing more than 6 kgs? Thanks.
Aug 25th, 2003, 09:11 PM
rex

You should be prepared for very strict enforcement. I encountered it, JFK to LHR, even before 9/11

If the two of you have under 11 kgs together, I would recommend that you separate - - use a plastic bag or a pillow case or something just until you get checked in. Then you can plop the bag into the other. You will have complied with their limits in spirit. I don't think you will face re-weighing planeside (you could even do the combining ON the plane, of course.

Best wishes,

Rex
Aug 25th, 2003, 11:01 PM

My experience with British Airways on several intra-European flights is they are very strict with the the 6 kg weight limitation. Last year, five of us flew on BA from Charles de Gaulle to Heathrow, and one bag was over the limit. The clerk would not allow us to combine the bags for a gross total weight, and simply said, "Rules are rules." So, one bag was checked and we spent an extra half hour at a baggage carousel at Heathrow to retreive it.

Once, in Dusseldorf, we were reqired to check an overweight carry-on on a BA flight.

Also, you might want to check in advance the aircraft type you will be taking. Some intra-European aircraft simply do not have overhead bin space large enough for the stated acceptable dimensions. This happened to us in May flying out of Paris, and passengers were asked to check their bags as they boarded the plane.
Aug 26th, 2003, 03:55 AM

Just came back from England and Ireland - flew BA over (due to overbooking on Aer Lingus), Aer Lingus coming home and RyanAir between England and Ireland. I was very concerned about all the weight limits but I have to say all three airlines let us on with carry ons which were over the limits without weighing them! I was amazed given what I've been reading for so long. Now even though this happened to me I still wouldn't trust it to happen again, each airport, even each ticket agent, is different. They all had signs stating what the size and weight limits were, but when we got to the counter they did not ask to weigh the carryons. Ours are 18x13x9 wheeled cases. We each had one plus my handbag (almost a small backpack) and my husbands daypack size backpack. We were all prepared to pull out the small foldable bags we had to repack some stuff to check if we had to but we didn't have to. (On ryanair we did check one of the cases but I think we could have gotten away with carrying it on). The total weight for each of us was about 25 pounds (12-13kg) and we were under the size restrictions. I think if you don't look like you have obviously heavy stuff they don't bother weighing the carry-ons, they do weigh the checked luggage.
Aug 26th, 2003, 05:31 AM

isabel was very lucky - never assume they will not check your hand luggage - sometimes they don't but many times they do - there isn't a consistent approach
Aug 26th, 2003, 09:17 AM
Original Poster

OK, sounds like what happened with isabel was the exception rather than the norm. I was planning to buy a new 22" wheeled case, but I think I'll just stick with my small 18" carry-on and keep it light. Thanks for the info.