Search

Copenhagen/Norway itinerary

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2004, 12:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Copenhagen/Norway itinerary

Hi everyone,

Here's the general itinerary for our trip that we have so far. Take a look and let me know if this sounds like a good plan.

Fly into Copenhagen and spend 4 nights, 5 days there. Fly from Copenhagen to Oslo on the 5th day, then catch the train to Bergen.

* If anyone has taken the Bergen Line train, can you tell me how many hours approx. Oslo to Bergen will be? *

Stay in Bergen for 2 days and jump aboard a Fjord cruise through Sognefjord which brings us back to Oslo (approx 7 days). Fly back to Copenhagen out of Oslo...

Any tips, hints are welcome!
Thank you.
Old May 19th, 2004, 04:31 PM

The Fjord cruise sounds nice! Train from Oslo to Bergen is ~8 to 10 hours. Have a great trip!
Old May 20th, 2004, 03:07 AM

A direct train to Bergen would be 7 hours. If doing the side trip to Flam (the Nutshell) the trip would be 12 hours.
Old May 20th, 2004, 05:50 AM

For train schedules, use www.bahn.de.
Old May 22nd, 2004, 01:02 AM

Scandibound:
To me it sounds that Oslo is in your plans just because of its airport and its railstation, from where you'll get to Bergen and your main goals, the fjords.
Hence I really would consider a roundtrip CPH-Bergen and drop Oslo. The Oslo Bergen rail certainly is nice, but why double it? And after all, you'll have to go through a relatively flat landscape for some 4-4.5 hours until things (mountains an scenarys) start to happen.
A direct flight to Bergen saves you considerably much time. And you do not have to go straight to Bergen. Why not take the airport bus to Voss and either stay there for the night or go to Stalheim (that's my top pick). Next morning start a trip that within some days take you to Bergen, from where you fly back to CPH. Stalheim-Gudvangen-ferry to Flam, maybe a roundtrip with the Flam Railway. Then to Balestrand by another ferry. Overnight at Kvikne's. Then Another boat outwards Sognefjord to Bergen. Some nice experiences and dinner/overnighting in the Bryggen area and then "home".
Or another circle. Maybe a hired car would fit even better?
Any way, I wish you a marvellous Norway trip.
Bjorn, Oslo
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone!

I have changed the itinerary around a little since I first posted. Trying to fly into Oslo and catch the train on the same day was too hectic after all, so now we're going to break it up.

We will now be flying from Copenhagen into Oslo and spending the night there before catching the train the following morning to Bergen (since this ride is basically a whole day).

Can anyone recommend a good hotel near the train station in Oslo for the one night's stay? Are there any hotels around the station that are located near any shops or something fun to walk to?

Again, thanks to everyone who posted and offered their help!

- Scandi

Old Jul 13th, 2004, 04:54 PM
MMT

We stayed at the Continental Hotel which is across from the National Theatre stop..from there you can walk to the harbour,the Fort and many of the shopping areas. We took the train /ferry to Bergen ..took the metro to Central station and then transferred to the Bergen train..no problems!
Have fun!
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 11:45 PM

Closest hotel to the railway would be Scandic hotel Byporten literary inside Byporten shopping mall. The hotel is connected to the train station, you don't even have to walk outside the building. Oslo City shopping mall is just across the street.
Old Jul 14th, 2004, 02:47 PM

Yes around the Central Station in Oslo (Oslo S) there are several hotels. Byporten Scandic Hotel inside Byporten (a mall), Hote Opera on the seaside of Oslo S. former Sara Hotel (can't remmeber their new name) at the end of the train plaza. Oslo's tallest hotel, the Hotel Plaza about connect by outdoor skyway to the train station. And the list goes on... And since the train station is at the start of Oslo's main street you are smack in the middle of downtown. With most sights within 15-20m walk.

Sindre