Oslo - Bergen, both ways by train?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 12:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning our next European trip for 2008, which will include some time in Scandanavia. As my husband and I love trains we are eager to travel from Oslo to Bergen (and return the same way)via the famous railway.

I know this is supposed to be a wonderful journey, but our travelling companions might be less interested than we are in the "journey", rather than the destination, so I am looking at a compromise.

As we plan to also visit Copenhagen it seems possible to fly to Bergen and then travel back to Oslo via rail, rather than fly Copenhagen to Oslo, train to Bergen and then return via rail the same way back to Oslo.

I'd love to hear from anyone who has recently done either of these journeys by rail or plane and your opinions of the experience. Candid views about my proposals also welcome!
Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 03:37 AM

I do have to say that I think doing both ways is too much, especially for your friends who aren't as train minded as you. On the one occassion we did the train both ways, we were really very glad when it finished and subsequently have only done it one way.

Flying into Bergen and then doing the trip one way only is a good compromise and, of course, means you will not be backtracking.

If you are really keen on doing rail both ways, consider breaking up the journey on one of the legs. One time we caught the train in Bergen and got off at Voss and then took the bus to Gudvangen. There we picked up a ferry which took us to Flam. After the night in Flam we then caught the train again to complete the trip to Oslo. We enjoyed this more than the previous occasion when we had done the entire trip Oslo/Bergen by train alone.

On another trip, in order not to redo exactly the same ground, we took the train Oslo/Bergen and then from Bergen took a hydofoil down to Stavanger and train Stavanger/Oslo. The scenery is not as spectacular as Oslo/Bergen but still very good. However it is, once again, a lot of train travel.

Hope this helps.
Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 09:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much Shandy, this is very helpful and really confirms that the train may be too much for our friends.
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 11:56 AM

Hi, and welcome to Bergen sometime in 2008. I dont know how you organize your travel, but Bergen is linked by Copenhagen with two airline companies. Scandinavian (SAS), witch flies 6-7 times/daily. In march low fare airline Sterling is starting up, and flies 2-3 times a day. I belive Sterlings is cheaper if you just want to go with one-way ticket. The Bergen railway is as you may know already, a very beatuful journey.(www.nsb.no) Trains runs 4 times/daily. I suggest the mid-day train. Leaves Bergen 10.30 and arrives in Oslo 6 in the afternoon. But you should NOT miss the Flam Railway.(http://www.flaamsbana.no) This is among the worlds most spetacular railways, and starts from the station "Myrdal" on the The Bergen railway. (approx 2 hours from Bergen). It goes to Flam, and from there you can either go back to Myrdal to catch a later train to Oslo, or go by boat on the Sognefjord, and them by bus (45 min) to Voss, wich is another station on the Bergen railway. From there also catch up with a later train to Oslo.
There are several ways to experience the Flam railway, and this company organize everything: http://www.norwaynutshell.com/
From Oslo you can fly to Copenhagen agian, and above mentioned airline companies do so. A tip is taking a boat from Oslo to copenhagen. Check out: www.dfds.com. Sailing out of the Oslofjord is very nice too!
Tip 2: Ad 75 NOK (12 USD) for the "Comfort-seat" at the train to Oslo. Makes your journey much more comfortable. Let me kow if you have any more questions. I ll be happy to give you tips!

Geir
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 01:15 PM

I haven't traveled by plane but agree with those who say the train trip including the Flam railway is spectacular. I didn't mind a RT train trip myself