where to stay on Norway Nutshell tour

Old Aug 11th, 2002, 05:33 PM
diane

where to stay on Norway Nutshell tour

Where would be the best place to stay overnight on the Nutshell tour if we are arriving from Bergen and want to stay over and then take train to Oslo in the morning? We need to get to Oslo to take afternoon boat to Copenhagen. Also, is it worth it to go to Copenhagen for only one day and one night? This is our first trip to Norway or Scandinavia.

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 05:14 PM
Shannon

Diane,
Are you starting off in Bergen to do the Norway in a Nutshell tour or ending up there?

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 09:04 AM
MJ

The Stalheim is a great place to stay. The Norway in a Nutshell tour stops there and you can just get off and then continue the next morning.

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 10:15 AM
Dina

Where do you get Norway in a nutshell?

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 10:37 AM
Shannon

The general route is you either start off in Oslo and end up in Bergen, or the reverse. From Oslo, you spend 5 hours on the train to Myrdal (and I'd highly recommend the Signatur train that leaves at 8:11 a.m.). From there, you take the Flambana (another train) down a couple thousant feet (VERY cool ride!) to Flam. From there, you jump on this boat that goes down the Fjord (another 2 1/2 hours) past a hundred or so waterfalls (okay, I'm exagerating, a little) and little towns, before you end up in Gundvagen (spelling?). You then catch a bus that takes you up to Voss, some by way of the Stalheim Hotel up this corkscrew turning one lane (they swear it's 2 lane) road -- don't look down! At Voss, you catch the next train to Bergen.

Beware! If you start at 8:11 from Oslo, there are NO TRAINS back to Oslo from Voss by the time you hit Voss until the overnight train. We were in the Voss train station two weeks ago, and a couple of people heading back to Oslo to catch an evening flight back to the states found this out the hard way.

The train that goes from Voss to Bergen is not air conditioned and is all second class. The same goes for the non-Signatur day train from Bergen to Oslo, and on a warm day, it is VERY tiring.

The Signatur train, on the other hand, is outstanding.

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 06:34 AM
Bjorn

Diane: To get the afternoon CPH ferry from Oslo, you have to be on the early Berge-Oslo express. Meaning that you will not manage the Bergen-Voss-Gudvangen-Flam-Myrdal-Oslo in one day.

I suggest Stalheim Hotel for overnighting, but even then the "direct" nutshell route can not be managed.

Therefore: Go early from Bergen by express train that makes you catch a Flam Rail from Myrdal with good time margins to enter the ferry at Flam at 15:00. At 17:00 you'll be in Gudvangen and the exiting bus ride up the Stalheim curves will take you to the hotel within 20 minutes.
Next day an early bus will catch the Bergen-Oslo express at Voss in good time.
This nutshell option of corse makes you trave Voss-Myrdal by train twice, but price will be the same as the straight Bergen-Oslo nutshell, and also the best way if a nice overnighting stay is what you want.
I wish you a pleasent and exciting journey!

Bjorn, Oslo

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 06:41 AM
bjorn

One more thing: Where to get the nutshell.

In any NSB (Norwegian Rail System) office. Bergen station should be perfect. NSB is not good at handling reservations from abroad. Then you will have to find a trevel agent and maybe pay "heavenly" prices. Bergen-Oslo option should be some 900 NOK per adult, seat reservations included. Do not quote me. Also look up http://www.nsb.no By now I guess there will be little trouble with seat resevations for the express train leg.

Bjorn, Oslo

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 08:31 AM
tom o

I just got back from NOrway and did the nutshell tour from Oslo--I would suggest a few things. First, buy a "fjordpass" for $15 which gives you hotel discounts. there are two main options for overnight stays-- One is Flam and the other Stalheim. What I would suggest is this-take an early train from Bergen to Myrdal-then if the weather is good, walk down the mountain to Flam, don't take the train--it's a beautiful walk, and takes about 4 hours. (I wish I had done it.) Then you could either stay in Flam or wait for the next NIN group and take the boat to Grunvagen to get to Stalheim by bus for the night. Then continue on the next day. The train ride from Voss to Oslo takes almost 6 hours.

About Copenhagen---it's quite nice and fun--but if the price of a day in copenhagen it to rush around everywhere, you might be better off just enjoying norway.