Search

flying to milan

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8th, 2012, 06:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
flying to milan

Hi, im traveling to Italy arriving through Milan, i arrive at 8am and thinking of staying in Milan 2-3 days,and from there go to Rome and stay there most of my vacations,i will be in Italy for a total of 2 weeks, then depart from Milan again. My question is, what is there to do near Milan that i dont have to rent a car, and whats the best way to get to Rome from Milan? i will stay in a hotel in the Milan airport, thanks for any suggestions.
Old Dec 8th, 2012, 08:45 AM

Given that you're arriving so early, you're probably coming off a long-haul overnight flight. You will be tired and jet-lagged. It will be too early to get into your hotel room (though the hotel will probably keep your bag for you.) You can go into Milan and do some sightseeing.

But why not go on to Rome immediately? Either flying or taking the train. It's an efficient use of your first, jet-lagged day. Then group together your time in Milan at the end of your vacation.

I wouldn't stay at an airport hotel ever unless you have a VERY early flight. It's more convenient to be in the city. You can drop back to your hotel in the middle of the day. And there are bus tours leaving from in-city as well as better transportation connections for daytrips.

As for where to go from Milan, look at this site: http://goitaly.about.com/od/milanita...ytrips.htm.You might want to spend a day or two outside Milan at one of these destinations.
Old Dec 8th, 2012, 01:09 PM

Um, if you want to go to Rome why are you flying in and out of Milan? If you want to see something there, fine. If not, it's just a waste of time - and you should fly in an out of Rome - or into Rome and out of where ever you want to go.
Old Dec 8th, 2012, 01:13 PM

I totally agree with Mimar, regarding: after arriving in Milan, take the train and go directly to Rome. Also about staying in Milan and not at a hotel in airport. There is a good transportation from Milan to airport.

Some years ago, we spend some days in Milan and made day trips from there, by train to:
- Bergamo
- Lugano and a tour of Lugano lake
- Varena and Villa Carlota (Lake Como)

You can go also to Lake Maggiore (go to Stresa and take the boat to visit the beautiful Isola Bella)..

Regarding Milano, in any book or in Fodor's Destination you will find the list of recommended sites to visit.

We liked very much to go up (by elevator) on the roof of Duomo – were you can see very close a lot of statues that from the street you can not note them. Another interesting place was Cimiterio Monumentale with its huge monuments.

You did not tell us when do you plan to make this trip, this is also an important factor.
Old Dec 8th, 2012, 01:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions,i was thinking to stay in a hotel in the airport because it might be easier traveling back and forth but now that i read these ideas i realize its not . But im traveling through Milan because of 2 reasons, one is i traveled to Rome the last time and i did not get a chance to see Milan,so i would like to see Milan and its surrounding areas and the other is that im using my air miles and the flight to Milan is so much more feasible,direct flight from JFK to Milan, contrary to Rome id have to stay 10 hours at an airport and 2 connections, i am traveling the first week of February.
Old Dec 8th, 2012, 02:04 PM

February, eh. Not the best time for the Italian countryside. The lakes will be pretty dead except for the larger towns, like Como, Lugano, or maybe Stresa. It will be cold, with nighttime temps below freezing. Could be snow.

I would stick to bigger cities, where's there's more to do in the winter. And even consider going farther south like to Sicily or southern Italy.
Old Dec 8th, 2012, 02:07 PM

Milan is a business city rather than a tourist city, so a lot of tourists are less than enthusiastic about it. Having said that, it has a lot to offer.

I always stay at the Hotel Berna, which is within a few minutes walk of the main railway station. We walk it with our bags. It is a fantastic place, with comfortable rooms, excellent breakfast and a bar where you can sit in the evening and have a drink and complimentary stuzzichini (small things to eat with drinks.) They speak excellent English and we have always found them to be extremely helpful.

The hotel is within easy walking distance to the metro, which will get you all around Milan.

My top three things to do in Milan are:

1. The Duomo, and yes, do get up on the roof, which is magical. Across the piazza is the galleria which used to house elegant shops but is now mainly full of fast food joints. The architecture is worth seeing.
Old Dec 8th, 2012, 02:12 PM

Sorry hit the wrong button there! To continue

2. The Brera Museum, one of the best in Italy

3. The Last Supper, which you will need to book for. You should do this as soon as possible as it fills up quite quickly.

For day trips, a train to Como is lovely, and the lake is beautiful. Depending on the weather you might want to get on a ferry. Bargamo is one of my favourite small cities, also a trainride away. If you go there remember that the city is on three levels, the Citta Bassa, where the train comes in and the Citta alta, a funicular ride up. From there you can get another funicular up to the third and highest level. The architecture is just lovely.

If you are interested I can come up with website addresses for the hotel in Milan and the Last Supper booking site.
Old Dec 8th, 2012, 02:14 PM

Winter in Milan isn't the best time and as the region is prone to fog, there is a possibility of delay or diversion of your flight. You have a choice of staying in Milan at the start or end of your trip. I wouldn't attempt any of the day trips in February as the weather isn't the best. Just stay a couple of nights. Don't miss the Leonardo's Last Supper (you should book in advance), Brera Gallery, Sforza Castle, Duomo and some other churches. From Milan Centrale station, there is at least an hourly train to Rome Termini, taking from 3.5 hours by ESA train. By booking in advance on Trenitalia site, you should get a cheaper fare. http://www.fsitaliane.it/frecciarossa.html
Ticketless system. Pay online and just quote the booking reference onboard.
Old Dec 9th, 2012, 10:52 AM

jj,

I agree with some of the comments here, but not all. My wife and I spent 3 days in Milan in Sept 2011 and enjoyed it very much. It is a large city with a much more "modern air" with it's focus on banking, fashion and industry. IMHO it is well worth a visit. There are plenty of things to see and do from the obvious "Last Supper" and Duomo to the slightly less visited Sant'Ambrogio, Sant'Eustorigio, San Lorenzo Maggiore and Castello Szorzessco to name a few. We saw Da Vicie's Codice Atlantico in the Pinacoteca Ambrosiana. There are plenty of good restaurants in the area to enjoy the cuisine of Lombardy: Risotto, Ossobuco, Cotoletta to name a few dishes we found to be some of the best we have ever had. I am certainly making some assumptions about your interests, but believe some time spent in Milan is worth the investment.

Travel to and from Malpensa Airport is easy with regular trains to Milano Centrale. While Milan is not as "walking friendly" a destination as some cities in Italy, the public transportation is very good and easy to navigate. The metro system plus tram network can get you to most places quite easily.

Milan has a lot to offer from ancient history to modern.

I hope this helps. I liked Milan and would return.

Rolo
Old Dec 9th, 2012, 11:59 AM

I agree that Milan has lots to offer and you can easily fill 3 days. As suggested, I would go directly to Rome upon your arrival in Milan and return to Milan at the end of your trip.

If you want an additional stop for your trip, you might consider stopping in Florence on your way back to Milan from Rome.
Old Dec 9th, 2012, 12:17 PM

There is no reason to stay at the airport while visiting Milan. Assuming that you are taking an overnight flight from JFK to Malpensa, you will arrive at the airport fairly early in the morning.
Unless you want to immediately travel to Rome, via train, you have the option of taking an airport bus to the central station in Milan or a train. the cost is about the same, but not all trains go to the central station.

I have stayed at the Michelangelo Hotel in Milan. It is a 4 star business hotel and breakfast was included in the price,, it was a pretty good breakfast, included hot and cold items. the hotel is basically across the street from the central station where there are taxi stands and the airport bus stops. you can get the metro at the central station, which will take you around Milan, and your train to Rome will leave from the central station as well. my only complaint about this hotel was that the pillow was as hard as a rock!

As others have mentioned there are several things to see and do in Milan: the Brera art museum, Sforza Castle is a museum, with an unfinished work by Michelangelo, the cathedral(Duomo) and do walk on the roof its wonderful, the last supper is worth visiting as are nearby churches and museums. It is cold in Milan in the winter, so you may need to plan on more indoor sites. You may also want to go to a performance at La Scala.

The lake region is not a place to visit in the winter. Many places are not open in the winter.
Old Dec 9th, 2012, 02:22 PM

hi jj travels,

Bologna is less than an hour from Milan, and even if it is snowing or raining, it is fun to go there because most of the streets are covered with archways, so you stay dry. You can also see Bologna on your way to Rome. You can put your luggage in the train station and go walk to the middle of town (the Piazza Maggiore) and have a nice pasta lunch. (If you do that, buy 2 tickets. One to Bologna; and the another one to Rome.)

If it is a sunny day it can be very nice to go to Lago di Como and see the view. It is one hour by train to Varenna. If you are dressed warm enough for Milan, you are dressed warm enough to see the lake. There won't be much open, but you can get a sandwich and hot coffee. Or bring something with you from Milan to eat on the train.

Further away is Verona, or Torino, but there is plenty to do in Milan. Be sure to walk on top of the Duomo. It is very amazing up there. Have a nice time.