What @ Milan

Old Dec 29th, 2004, 01:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What @ Milan

My family of 3 are vacationing in Italy for 2 weeks, in October. We're arriving in Milan via British Airways & staying 2 nights at the Hotel Adam. We have roundtrip tickets, so we'll need to be back in Milan our last day or so. I read several postings recommending a traveler to skip Milan. Has Milan any redeeming factors? Any suggestions on day trips near Milan? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks
Old Dec 29th, 2004, 02:09 PM

I love Milan. Many travelers constantly say Milan is gray, drab, boring etc. but IMHO they have really not gotten acquainted with Milan.

May I suggest that on the Search Box you type in "hobbes". You will than see her recent report on Milan. The thread is titled "Milan-Dec 11-14-Trip Report".

I think you will enjoy reading about her time in Milan and will give you quite an insight about the true Milan.

Also, I noticed in your other thread you said you were flying home from Milan and wanted to spend your last night in Florence. I sort of cringed about this as (unless your flight is leaving late in the day). I think this is not a good idea. I almost posted on your thread to suggest that you spend your last night in Milan.

Also, Lake Como is an easy train ride from Milan.

Enjoy reading hobbes report. I will be interested in what your thoughts are.
Old Dec 30th, 2004, 10:33 AM

Milan has great food, great fashion and great shopping. It also is home to one of the most famous paintings in the world, "the Last Supper." Make reservations!!

http://www.initaly.com/regions/artists/lastsupp.htm

Townhouse 31 is supposed to be a terrific boutique hotel in Milan.

http://www.economist.com/cities/disp...obj_id=1489625
Old Dec 30th, 2004, 10:43 AM

I frequently feel compelled to come to the defense of Milan, so I did a web page about it, with links and tips http://www.straughan.com/italy/travel/milano.htm

Have fun!
Old Dec 30th, 2004, 11:05 AM

Milan may seem drab compared to other Italian cities, but if you do a little research, you'll find there's lots to do.

I highly recommend the TIME OUT MILAN book for a number of great suggestions. I didn't get to check it out--but the DaVinci Science Museum sounded really interesting.

Enjoy!
Old Dec 30th, 2004, 11:07 AM

I think Milan is at least worth your first day. Or your last day. In my opinion, it's a vital, very Italian city. And the Duomo is a must.
Old Dec 30th, 2004, 11:25 AM

Bettyo70 has a good suggestion...I think the TimeOut guide to Milan and the Lakes is probably the best of the Milan guides.
I like Milan (well, I have to, I work for a company headquartered there!). But it can appear quite drab.
My favorite restaurant in Milan is Mauro's at 5 Via Collonetti, behind the Jolly Hotel and not far from the Duomo and glass covered gallerias (you should definitely see those, plus La Scala, via Brera and the Last Supper). Excellent food and service.
One caution: the worst meal I ever had in Italy was at the Si restaurant in the galleria near Prada. A total tourist trap; I would have had a better meal at McDonald's. Bad food, mediocre service, high prices. Stay away.