First Time to Italy

Search

First Time to Italy

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14th, 2006, 01:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Time to Italy

I need help planning a trip to Italy. This will be my first time and I would like to go to Rome, Florence, and Venice. My first question is do you think its a good idea to book though a site that bundles everything (i.e. flight, hotel, and train)? I've been looking and the prices seem good.

My second question is, I would like to go the first week in November (anniversary) but I've read the weather may not be great. I'm not looking for warm weather and I would like to avoid the crowds, so does anyone know if this is a bad time to go?

Thanks for you help!!
Old Aug 14th, 2006, 03:09 PM
jgg

I personally wouldn't suggest doing a bundled booking. Often those kinds of deals do not have the best locations on the hotels. Often they are out of the city center where you would prefer to be.

You will find a lot of help on this board for hotel recommendations, and I often find booking directly with the hotel on the internet gets you the best deal.

I have only travelled to Italy in March and June, so I can't speak to the weather in Nov., but checking historical weather websites ought to give you an idea. I suspect the crowds would definitely be down in early Nov. and would probably be a nice time to go.
Old Aug 14th, 2006, 04:42 PM

Sorry- can't speak for the weather in London as I have only been there in June.

I would likely avoid a bundle trip- you will have more flexability with your hotels, etc and find one that fits your budget and is tailored more to your likes.

We stayed at a great hotel in Florence- the Hotel Davanzati and loved it..

Have fun!
Old Aug 14th, 2006, 04:50 PM

EMC--we are taking the same trip. I am flying into Venice Nov 6 and out of Rome on the 18th.

First trip to Italy for me, too, so I can't offer any advice except that there is a ton on info on this site.

I've stopped worrying about the weather.
Old Aug 14th, 2006, 04:52 PM

We travelled to Italy last October (late) and was very surprised how warm Rome, in particular, was. Venice and Florence were cool but pleasant. A bit of rain in Venice but not enough to dampen our spirits and did not stop us from following our plans.

Even at this time of year there were still great numbers of people about so I can only imagine how crowded things must be in summer.

I would suggest that November is a good time to travel for a number of reasons - 1. Low season with hotel rates etc. 2. Temperatures are very comfortable. 3. Fewer people - easier access to sites etc.

My next European trip is planned for November next year again because I find prices are at their lowest but mostly because there are less crowds, less queueing etc and generally easier to get about. But that's just my humble opinion.
Old Aug 14th, 2006, 04:53 PM

November will not be mobbed with tourists. But it will be chilly ranging to coldish and rain is likely. (You may get some warmish days - but thinkg of Washinton DC type weather.)

If you're asking the best time to go to Italy it's May - long days, warm weather, flowers in bloom - but most of the tourists have not arrived yet.

As for a package - don't do it. You're better off picking a hotel that meets your needs than just taking one of the few that the tour company could get a good deal with (maybe for a reason?).
Old Aug 14th, 2006, 04:57 PM

November is generally Italy's rainiest month -- although you could beat the odds and get clear skies. If you don't mind taking your chances, November will mean far fewer crowds and the absence of heat will make a lot of outdoor touristing much pleasanter than when it is hot and humid.

Are you thinking of going to all 3 places in one week? That will be too much. If you book a "bundled" tour of all 3 cities in 7 days, you will be raced through everything.

Better to plan your own trip. Which is the city where you most want to spend your anniversary?
Old Aug 15th, 2006, 05:22 AM
ira

Hi EM,

How long is this visit?

One week is much too short for R, F & V.