Reload this Page >

Italy in late Nov.

Search

Italy in late Nov.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15th, 2002, 05:10 PM
Kim

Italy in late Nov.

Any thoughts on traveling to Italy in late Nov...weather, etc???

Old Sep 15th, 2002, 09:07 PM
Santa Chiara

October and November are my favorite months in Italy. November can be cold in the north, but nothing unbearable. When I visited one year before I moved here permanently, I ran around all over Northern Italy (Florence to Venice and in between) with only a black wool blazer plus sweaters. I still mostly wear wool or leather blazers until December, when it is time to switch to my piumino (down-filled) or full-length wool coats.<BR><BR>The highlight of traveling this time of years is the relatively lack of crowds. Restaurants and sites are not nearly as crowded, and you are more likely to experience the real Italy rather than the Disneyland version. It does get dark early, but then you can make up for that by ducking into a cozy bar for a nice glass of red wine.<BR><BR>Enjoy.

Old Sep 15th, 2002, 09:37 PM
Joe

Santa Chiara, How cold is cold in the first half of November? We'll start in Venice around the 11th and work our way south to Rome around the 15th.<BR><BR>Thanks.

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 12:44 AM
Santa Chiara

Joe, like weather anywhere, it depends. But Venice "should" be in the 50s and 60s during the day. Rome will be 10 degrees or so warmer, usually. However, we have had the hottest and coldest summer on record. In other words, we had a backbreaking heat spell in June, but now it is quite cool and fallish. <BR><BR>I have not lived on the East Coast of the U.S. but those who have say the weather in around Florence and Bologna is like Virginia or Washington, D.C. Go to weatherunderground.com for seasonal averages.

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 08:44 AM
Howard

We were in Italy the second half of November in 1999 and had mostly sunny weather in the high 50s and low 60s. We had some rain in Rome and it was a little chillier in Florence. But, all in all, perfect leather jacket weather!

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 10:37 AM
stanberys2

We've been to Italy in late October and early November two times and we're going again in about 4 weeks.<BR><BR>Venice can be a little cool with wind coming in from the sea, (50 or so) but as was mentioned, it's perfect jacket weather - we've never needed a heavy coat. In Rome, Sorrento, Capri, we never needed more than a light sweater - if that. <BR><BR>Unless you plan to go to the beaches , I can't think of a better time to visit Italy.<BR><BR>No crowds, no sweating from the Mediterranean heat (in Venice,no smell from the canals), cappucino sitting in sidewalk cafes . . can't wait to go again! You'll love every minute.