Italy in November?

Search

Italy in November?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19th, 2003, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Italy in November?

I just found a good rate on a trip to Italy, but it would be in early to mid November. Will the weather be ok, or will I be miserable? I've been to Scotland in January, so I'm not opposed to cold weather. I just don't want day after day of cold pouring rain. The trip would include Rome, Florence and Venice. Thanks for the advice.
Old Jul 19th, 2003, 10:54 AM

A friend and I did the same trip (Venice, Florence, Rome)in late October/early November. Overall it was cool-daytime temps were probably 50's to high 60's. Venice was definitely cool and damp and I wished I'd brought heavier clothes. Florence was warmer(and sunny)and Rome warmer still so that there were days in Rome where I carried my light raincoat but wore long sleeves. It was definitely worth the coolness to get the good rates and small crowds. Dress in layers. I can't guarantee you won't have worse weather but if you can handle Scotland in January you'll have no problem!
Old Jul 19th, 2003, 01:55 PM

I spent a week in Florence, in Nov. a few years ago it was freezing think San Francisco on a cold winters eve. it was probably in the 40's at night (that's cold for me) but there was no rain at all, I would still go just pack warm.
Never miss an oppertunity to go to Italy.
Best of luck
Fluffy
Old Jul 19th, 2003, 01:57 PM

November is a great time to visit Italy. No crowds, you can see everything without long lines, hotels are cheaper, restaurants more accommodating. And speaking of food, this is the time for wild game, porcini and the deep, red wines. If I were to recommend the very best time to visit Italy, this would be the period. Lucky you.
Old Jul 19th, 2003, 02:11 PM

I travelled to Italy in November and had incredible weather - solid sunshine with daytime temp in the high 60's. We flew into Milan, stayed in Florence and toured Umbria. I didn't go to Venice but I hear it can be grey and rainy in November. It was quiet everywhere we went, few tourists so it was great. I would jump at the chance to return at this time of year.
Old Jul 19th, 2003, 06:36 PM
Maira

I visited Rome this last November (9-19), 2002 and was pleasantly surprised by mild weather (upper 60's), sunny mornings, and cool nights (low 50's). There was some rain when we visited Assisi, but there are so many indoor acivities that it can still be enjoyable. I would not hesitate to go back in November; much fewer crowds, a much more plesant Rome.

Old Jul 19th, 2003, 09:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the encouraging posts. Sounds like I should be booking my flight and taking advantage of the low tourist crowds. Thanks for the replies!
Old Jul 20th, 2003, 05:02 AM

Our first trip to Italy was mid to late November, and except for some rain, it was fine. Temperatures were mainly in the high 50s, low 60s--perfect for leather jackets! The rain didn't stop us, by the way.
The previous posters are correct. The tourist traffic is way down. Sure, there were still lines at places like the Vatican Museum and the Uffizi, but we went early and never waited that long