Help-London to Brugge

Search

Help-London to Brugge

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19th, 2003, 09:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help-London to Brugge

I want you all to know I have done my research before posting this. However, this American is still confused. I want to take the train from London to Dover, then ferry to Zeebrugge(?), then train to Brugge. The scenic route, I understand. My London hotel is in the Mayfair area, which is where I will begin this journey.

Can someone provide clear details on exactly what I have to do? How far in advance do I need to make my reservations? How can I make advance reservations on the web?

By the way, in previous postings I believe many Americans are confused by some of the terms posted by Europeans, such as transfer the platform at Faversham??? I simply am uncomfortable with that. I apologize for being a detail freak, but I am traveling as a single woman and I need to understand clearly for my own personal comfort level. (Previous bad experience in Italy!!) Thanks for your patience.

My departure date is Sept. 22, 2003 (Saturday). Thanks.
Old Jul 19th, 2003, 10:32 AM
Intrepid

For some general information about train travel from the UK to the Continent you might take a look at www.seat61.com
although I doubt the ferry option is included but it may be.
I am not certain you can get a ferry from Dover to Zeebrugge...there is ferry service from Dover to Calais, Dunquerque, or Ostende. I could be incorrect about this aspect and hopefully someone more knowledgeable will reply.
I am honestly not sure what you mean by the confusion of "terms posted by Europeans." Good luck!

Old Jul 19th, 2003, 10:47 AM

That involves a lot of transferring!Why not just go to Waterloo, take the Eurostar- London to Lille, then train to Brugge. only 1 transfer.
Old Jul 19th, 2003, 11:24 AM
ira

Hi Jody,

I think she wants to take the scenic route. It's about 4.5 hours on the ferry.
Old Jul 19th, 2003, 11:44 AM
Intrepid

Which ferry are you referring to, Ira? I find no listing for that ferry route.

Old Jul 19th, 2003, 01:50 PM

The ferry route Dover-Zeebrugge (4.5 hours) doesn't exist anymore. If you insist on taking the boat it's either
1) Dover-Calais (1 hr 15 min.) on P&O Ferries (formerly P&O Stena & Northsea Ferries)
2) Dover-Calais (1.5 hrs.) on Sea France
3) Dover-Calais (50 min.) on Hoverspeed's seacat.

Then you will have to get from the harbour to the train station in Calais where you can take the regional express train to Brugge (between 3 hrs 15 min. to 4.5 hours!!) - from 2 to 4 changes.
Old Jul 19th, 2003, 02:47 PM
ira

Thank you Intrepid and Myriam.

I seem to have been misinformed.
Is the Hull/Zeebrugge ferry still rnning?
Old Jul 19th, 2003, 07:42 PM
Intrepid

Yes, according to the Thomas Cook European Timetable it is running. P+O Ferries from the Hull King George Dock to Zeebrugge Leopold II Dam. It looks to be an overnight trip departing Hull at 7:00 PM and arriving Zeebrugge at 8:30 AM the next morning. Apparently there is abus connection from the Hull RR station which departs at 6:00 PM. The Timetable recommends that reservations be made for the bus connection but does not give information about how, or with what company, they are to be made. It looks as if the London-Hull route might require a change in Doncaster although there is a train leaving London Kings Cross at 2:26 PM which arrives in Hull at 5:21 PM and does NOT require a change. Hope this is helpful. Sounds like a fun trip.

Old Jul 20th, 2003, 02:21 AM

Excellent information, Intrepid!

BTW, I've always very much enjoyed the long crossings (Zeebrugge-Dover) and am really sorry that it has been abolished.
With the fast world we live in now, it must have become unprofitable business. Especially since the new Ryanair line London Stansted to Ostend-Bruges has been operative. One can fly for as little as 6.99£ (one way) ...
Old Jul 20th, 2003, 03:23 AM
Intrepid

I agree that there are sometimes advantages to taking alternative routes to places and there are advantages to going in the fastest, most direct manner. I wish I could offer further information (especially about the bus connection reservations). I do know that there is local train service between Zeebrugge (Dorp station on some days and Strand station on others) and Brugge which takes about 15 minutes or so. I do hope this all works out for you. I'm old enough to remember when taking a ferry to the Continent was the ONLY way you could travel besides flying..no tunnels!

Old Jul 20th, 2003, 05:28 AM
ira

Hi Intrepid,

Thanks for the info. You are better than a reference librarian.
Old Jul 20th, 2003, 05:54 AM
Intrepid

Not at all...I just love looking at the Thomas Cook Timetable!!!!!!!!!!!!!makes me wish I were there, right now, traveling.