Best time to visit Italy?

May 21st, 2002, 04:30 AM
janey

Best time to visit Italy?

I'm starting to plan our first trip to Italy. When is the best time to go-considering weather, price and crowds? We want to go to Venice, Florence and Rome.

May 22nd, 2002, 04:09 AM
janey

ttt

May 22nd, 2002, 04:55 AM
elaine

Hi
Not surprisingly, spring and fall are often recommended, both for decent weather and moderate crowds. I've been in the fall, late Sept-early Oct.
Rome was still hot, about 80F. In Florence and Venice we've had a little rain at that time of year, but not every day, temps in the low 70s during the day, cooler at night.

As you get later into the fall, crowds decrease and so does the temperature of course, while the rain increases.

May 22nd, 2002, 08:15 AM
Tess

-
Best times? Either late Sept-early Oct OR early to mid May. That's when I've scheduled my trips. Weather is best. Prices & crowds less than summertime; however Italy has been & continues to be an extremely popular destination, so you will find alot of visitors in the big 3 (Rome/Venice/Florence).

May 22nd, 2002, 08:24 AM
Sue

Janey,

I was in Italy in mid May and thought it was a perfect time of year. The weather was near 70 degrees and every thing was green and the wildflowers were in bloom. It wasn't crowded yet either.

Sue

May 22nd, 2002, 08:41 AM
Marsha

We were there late Sept. - late Nov. Sept. and Oct. were great: cool, somewhat rainy, no crowds, lots of festivals (truffles, olive oil, etc.)Once day light savings time ended at the end of Oct., it was less inspiring to go out in the evening. We are planning our next trip for April-May.

May 22nd, 2002, 09:21 PM
Rex

Late May, early June.

September though often times more expensive; not really even shoulder season anymore.

Best wishes,

Rex

May 23rd, 2002, 04:30 AM
janey

Looks like the latter part of October is going to work for us. Thanks for the imput. Don't want to appear ignorant, but, in Italy does daylight savings kick in the same as here-the last Saturday of October?

May 23rd, 2002, 04:37 AM
Elsa

We found Tuscany a little disappointing last mid Sept.- early Oct. The crowds and weather were fine, but the countryside was not very green. The sunflowers were all dead on their stalks and the soil was all turned over. Not even close to the picturesque place we thought Tuscany would be (the countryside, that is).

May 23rd, 2002, 04:54 AM
pv

janey,
don't know where you are located but DLS started in Italy this year at the end of March and will end the end October.

May 23rd, 2002, 05:09 AM
janey

In Michigan - DLS starts first Sat in April, ends the last Sat in Oct. Thanks

May 23rd, 2002, 05:19 AM
LuvItaly

I went to the same three cities Nov 1-10 two years ago.

Rome pleasant-not hot at all. Florence-beautiful fall weather-somewhat cool. Venice-no crowds at all but by far the coolest of the three.

I would prefer it be a little cooler overall. Museums can be unbearable during the warmer weather. I would go again the same time, although October would be OK as well if November isn't possible.

Have a great trip!!!

The rates couldn't be beat and again, I never waited in line to get into anything, in any city.

May 23rd, 2002, 05:38 AM
janey

Thanks-this is encouraging. When I checked some weather stats, I got the impression it would be very rainy. Now the fun part of planning it all!