Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

First time to go to Athens - Santorini - Mykonos - Need advise please.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19th, 2019, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

We are planning to visit Greece this coming early September : Athens, Delphi, Kalambaka, Meteora, Greek Islands ( Santorini, Mykonos, Paros and Crete if possible). We only have about 10 nights for the whole trip (5 nights in Athens & Kalambaka, 5 nights on Greek Islands). Since this is our first time to go there, I really need your help and idea / advises even though I have done some of internet researches, but I am sure your experiences is much better to share with us .

So, here are some of my questions :
1. If I want to go to Santorini / Mykonos from Athens by plane, which route is the best one that I should take? Athens - Santorini - Mykonos - Athens or Athens - Mykonos - Santorini - Athens? Which one is the most convenient one for us?
2. Is it possible to have day trip tour from Santorini / Mykonos to Paros and to Crete? so we don't need to stay overnight at Paros or Crete but we stay at Santorini / Mykonos.
3. As we are women travelers, is there any recommendation for place to stay in Santorini (OIA or FIRA) and in Mykonos? The nice clean decent hotel with a beautiful view with affordable budget if possible and also easy access to public transportation / shop / eatery place.
4. What to do and what places to go in Santorini and Mykonos? Is there any local guided tour with an affordable price but nice? or if any suggestion for local tour website?
5. Which one is better to plan : Athens - Kalambaka - Greek Islands or Athens - Greek Islands - Kalambaka?
6. For the ferry trip from / to Santorini / Mykonos, which one is the best ferry I should take? as I am avoiding seasick so I prefer the big ferry / boat if possible.

Thanks beforehand for all your helps and I am so sorry if I might have a lot of questions. Hope to hear from you and your help will be so appreciated so much

Regards,
Lia
Old Jul 19th, 2019, 08:55 AM

With only five nights, even two islands is pushing it. Day trips from Santorini to Crete are impossible, because ferries start their days in Crete, returning in late afternoon from the Cyclades. If you want to include Paros, go there overnight on the way from Mykonos to Santorini or vice-versa. It doesn’t really matter which of the two you do first when flying from/to Athens.

It’s best to do the islands first, then the mainland. Take a connecting flight to Mykonos or Santorini immediately upon arrival at Athens to save a day of travel. For ferries between Mykonos and Santorini choose one of the large car carrying catamarans, e.g. Champion Jet, or the large conventional ferry Superferry or Superferry II.
Old Jul 19th, 2019, 09:01 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Crete is not in the Cyclades Islands, too far, and Santorini is far from the other Cycladic Islands..You cannot begin to accomplish what you have proposed. You can fly from Athens to Santorini or Mykonos but not between them. You have to return to Athens.
Choose two islands for the five days at most. No more than two nights on Santorini if you go there. No day trips. Take ferries between them. Or pick Paros or Naxos for the whole five days which is what I would do and enjoy a more Greek experience.
Old Jul 19th, 2019, 04:55 PM
kja

You've already gotten some great advice! You will do well to scope your ambitious wish list much more realistically.

1. Wait until you have a more realistic plan, then consult rome2rio.com (be sure to click through to the underlying web pages, as the main web page is not sensitive to seasonal variation in schedules) and figure out what works for YOU.
2. No.
3. As a woman, I wouldn't worry about it making a difference.
4. Consult a good guidebook or two. No guides are necessary unless you want them.

If you haven't already seen it, you might find some useful information in my (long) trip report.
With Gratitude for a Glorious Solo Month in Greece

Enjoy your planning!
Old Jul 20th, 2019, 02:51 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Heimdall
With only five nights, even two islands is pushing it. Day trips from Santorini to Crete are impossible, because ferries start their days in Crete, returning in late afternoon from the Cyclades. If you want to include Paros, go there overnight on the way from Mykonos to Santorini or vice-versa. It doesn’t really matter which of the two you do first when flying from/to Athens.

It’s best to do the islands first, then the mainland. Take a connecting flight to Mykonos or Santorini immediately upon arrival at Athens to save a day of travel. For ferries between Mykonos and Santorini choose one of the large car carrying catamarans, e.g. Champion Jet, or the large conventional ferry Superferry or Superferry II.
Thank you so much Heimdall for your answer that helps me a lot though, so now at least I have an idea what to make decision

And thanks to you too HapppyTrvlr and kja for your answers and ideas.

I really appreciate for all your great helps and advises.

Besides, let say if I want to spend for 1 night at Crete, as my sis wants to visit the place that she said is also mentioned in the Bible, is there any recommendation place I should go for the Biblical sites in Crete?
Old Jul 20th, 2019, 03:10 AM

If the site is near Heraklion you may have a chance, but the ferries from Santorini all arrive late afternoon, and depart for the Cyclades in the morning, so that doesn’t give much time. Crete is a huge island, about three times the size of the country of Luxembourg, so that’s why it needs more time.

There are several biblical sites on the mainland, including The route of Apostle Paul:
Visit Greece | On the Path of Apostle Paul

if you seriously want to go to Crete you should forget Mykonos and Santorini and devote all your island time there.
Old Jul 20th, 2019, 11:58 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much Heimdall for all your great helps
Old Jul 21st, 2019, 06:36 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
There are several sites in Athens connected to St. Paul too.
Old Jul 21st, 2019, 11:37 AM

As women friends maybe mykonos is better than Santorini for more fun than romance. Flights are the best way as there are too many options for these islands. Stay 3 days in Mykonos... best beaches and beach bars and then 2 days in Santorini. Check if you can leave for your country from there. There are many international flights

Do not forget to watch a theatrical performance of Ancient Drama in Athens. It's not on the TO DO LISTS YET as it is teh 1st year performed in City centre. Athinais cultural center Oedipus Rex

Have the best time
Old Jul 22nd, 2019, 05:29 AM
Original Poster

There are several sites in Athens connected to St. Paul too.
Thank you HappyTrvlr for your information though.

As women friends maybe mykonos is better than Santorini for more fun than romance. Flights are the best way as there are too many options for these islands. Stay 3 days in Mykonos... best beaches and beach bars and then 2 days in Santorini. Check if you can leave for your country from there. There are many international flights

Do not forget to watch a theatrical performance of Ancient Drama in Athens. It's not on the TO DO LISTS YET as it is teh 1st year performed in City centre. Athinais cultural center Oedipus Rex

Have the best time
Thanks elpida for your suggestion, yes I think you're right, I will probably plan to stay 3 nights in Mykonos and 2 nights in Santorini, surely I will have great time there
From Santorini, I have to go back to Athens, as I still have another trip to Delphi & Meteora in the next day.
Yes, if I still have spare time, will try to watch the theatrical performance
Old Jul 22nd, 2019, 08:07 AM

Maybe you can reach Mykonos from your home country. In order not to fly
Old Jul 22nd, 2019, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by elpida
Maybe you can reach Mykonos from your home country. In order not to fly
Oh no we have no flight to Mykonos from my country besides I also plan to join local city tour in Athens on the 2nd day I arrive Athens,
and the next days we'll leave for Mykonos from Athens
Anyway thanks for your concern though, really appreciate it so much