Ist trip to Greece and wish to stay on a couple of islands-need help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2009, 06:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are single girls in our 20's and wish to go to Greece in mid May for about 9 nights. We are thinking of staying 2 nights in Athens and stying 2 night is Santorini, 2 nights in Mykonis and one other island either Naxos or Peros. We do like nice hotels and can do ferries plus a flight because of time. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Any ideas for itinerary, hotels etc. Thanks so much
Old Jan 4th, 2009, 07:01 AM

Suggest you limit yourself to two islands for three nights each, and save Athens for the end of the trip. Unless you are looking for somewhere quiet, Santorini and Mykonos will be the best for mid-May, and both have a wide choice of good hotels. Mykonos is popular with university students in May, which might (or might not) appeal to you.

I like both Naxos and Paros, and could recommend one or the other if you are interested in a quieter option. Don't be tempted to add either as a third island, though - too much of your time will be taken up riding ferries and checking in and out of hotels.

To make the most of your nine days, consider a flight directly to Santorini upon arrival in Athens. The catamaran FlyingCat 4 will get you quickly from Santorini to Mykonos. A ferry ride from Mykonos to Rafina (Athens) is short, and just as easy as flying back from Mykonos.
Old Jan 4th, 2009, 09:25 AM

Heimdall's correct. With so few days you really only have time to visit 2 islands and Athens, unless you just want to stop and go all the time. Santorini and Mykonos are about 2.5 hours apart by highspeed ferry, Naxos is 2 hours from Santorini by regular car ferry. Paros is an hour from Mykonos on the highspeed.

If you want hotel suggestions you must let us know what your daily room budget will be-per person (how many of you?)-so we can make the right suggestions.
Old Jan 4th, 2009, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your advice. We figured it might be too much for a three island stay so we get into Athens around 1:30 pm on the 16th. We thought maybe checking into Athens hotel and doing a musem visit. Then there is a cheap flight to Santorini the next morning or do we do the ferry over to Mykonos. Spend 3 night each on Mykonos and Santorini and maybe a day excurion to one other island. We figured around 100-50 US dollar per night per person. Any suggestions on nice hotels in Mykonos and Santorini. Should we stay near town in Mykonos? Thanks
Old Jan 4th, 2009, 10:59 AM

My advice would be to head straight for Santorini. Aegean Airlines has a flight at 4:15pm, and right now is offering a saver fare for only €19 + taxes (€54.48) for that flight. A tremendous bargain, and you could be watching the Santorini sunset that evening!

I know brotherleelove will have some great suggestions for hotels on Santorini. For Mykonos, do a search here on Fodor's I'm more of a "find your room when you get to the port" person, but have heard some good reports on Hotels Rochari and Tagoo, among others.
Old Jan 4th, 2009, 11:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you like ancient history you might like a trip to the island of Delos. Ferries leave from the main town on Mykonos. We spent roughly half a day there, including climbing to the highest point for great views. The island was very hot and dusty, with no shade, so be prepared. No one lives on the island and there was one shop that sold drinks and souvenirs. This was a few years ago so things might have changed a bit.

Kay
Old Jan 4th, 2009, 11:09 AM

Oh,forgot - the website for Aegean Airlines is http://www.aegeanair.com/

And agree - don't miss Delos!
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 05:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks this all so helpful, any suggestions for really nice hotels in Mykonos and Santorini. Anyone know about the Majestic or Cosmopolitan in Santorini and the Mykonos Blu or Petrious Beach in Mykonos> All suggestions welcome!
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 08:49 AM

The Majestic is a very nice mainstream hotel but the location is questionable. It's on the road out of Fira towards the south end of the island and the ferry port, across the road from the caldera view, so all that traffic will pass between you and the view.

I much prefer something smaller with more character, such as the Cosmopolitan Suites. They're located on the cliff in Fira below the pathway leading to Firostefani and Imerovigli, an excellent location.

Other hotels in that same price range in Fira include Porto Fira Suites, Aigialos Houses and Tzekos Villas. In Firostefani check Dana Villas.
Old Jan 8th, 2009, 05:56 AM

Here are the links for a ferry and two airline companies for your tickets:
http://www.aegeanair.com/
http://www.olympicairlines.com/
http://www.bluestarferries.com/

I think you made a good selection of islands and I am sure that you will have a great time! Between Paros and Naxos I would choose Paros. It is better for people of your age and I am sure that you will love it. Of course Naxos is a beautiful island too but a bit calmer.
Old Jan 10th, 2009, 11:53 AM
Original Poster

I think we are going to stay 2 nights in Athens then on the 18th we will take the early morning fligt over to Santorini. I think we will stay at Cosmopolotan Suites..Any suggestions for lunch or dinner? We will then take ferry to Mykonos and we are looking at the Mykonos Grand and the Petosis Beach.. What do any of you think for Mykonos?
Thanks again for any help
Old Jan 10th, 2009, 12:00 PM

Go to Oia for lunch on Amoudi wharf at Katina's Fish Taverna.

10 minutes from Cosmopolitan Suites, on the main pathway in Firostefani, is the little 'hole-in-the-wall' restaurant Aktaion for some good, traditional Greek food.
Old Jan 10th, 2009, 02:10 PM

I followed Brotherleelove's recommendation about Katina's Tavern and we enjoyed a wonderful meal there. On Santorini we stayed right in Oia at the Delfini Hotel which was 140 Euros per night for an apartment suite with a terrace overlooking the caldera, another of Brotherleelove's great recommendations.
Old Feb 5th, 2009, 08:33 AM

Hi Chary,

Your post is exactly what I was looking for...2 girls in our mid-20s for the same dates and same budget. Too funny...since you are a month ahead of the game, please do let me know what u've decided and which hotels u are staying. Although I would love to squeeze in one more island. Probably do 2 nights in Mykonos and 1 nights at Naxos or Paros. Not sure which one...Any suggestions?