Questions - Planning a Family Trip to Greece this summer

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2014, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do love to plan a trip and Fodors has always been so good to me in answering my random questions. Thank you in advance for your assistance.

This is a rough schedule and I have a few questions. My DH and oldest son (The Scholar - age 19) will be arriving into Athens a day earlier than myself and youngest son (Lunatic Maximus - age 16 - he and I will be joining from a class trip in France).

We love to travel together and the boys have traveled quite a bit - we look forward to a nice balance of historical and fun adventures.

Here is our itiinerary:

Athens 3 nights (2 for LM and I) Hotel George, drive to Delphi

Delphi 2 nights Pitho Rooms, drive to Nafplion

Nafplion 2 nights Byron Hotel, drive to Athens fly to Mykonos

Mykonos 2 or 3 nights - haven't chosen hotel yet, ferry to Santorini

Santorini 3 nights - Astra Suites, fly back to Athens then back to US

Would love opinions on the overall schedule. Also, trying to decide if we should spend one more night in Athens at the beginning of the trip or stay a total of 3 days in Mykonos. Would love your input. Thank you again!
Old Mar 7th, 2014, 12:45 PM

I would put your time in Athens at the end before you fly out just in case there are issues getting off the islands. You would hate to miss your flight home!

You might also want yo check out Naxos...it's not as touristy as the other islands and might make a nice change rather than two very touristy islands...
Old Mar 7th, 2014, 01:14 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Not both Mykonos and Santorini, replace one with Paros or Naxos. As jamikins said, the two islands you have chosen are the most touristy.
Old Mar 7th, 2014, 01:43 PM

If you are interested in Delos trip from Mykonos, 1) align your stay to avoid having full day fall on Monday = Delos is closed. and 2)allocate two full non-closed days in Mykonos to account for possible boat trip cancellations to Delos.

Look closely at your arrival time in Athens and departure from Santorini. If your Athens arrival is early in the morning and the departure from Santorini is like 6am (which means you will wake up super early in Santorini foregoing another breakfast overlooking the Caldera), you could swap the sequence to arrive first in Santorini in the afternoon when you can check in, and check out of Santorini at more sane hour. Also you can arrive back to Athens during the day which makes it possible to drive straight to Nafplio or Delphi.
Old Mar 7th, 2014, 05:44 PM
Original Poster

Thank you - all great advice.